Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classifieds > Sale / Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted: Open Diff (Comet or other)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted: Open Diff (Comet or other)
    Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 12:45pm
Looking for an open differential, we used our last one this past year and can't use it again because of our University wanting to use the car exclusively for Freshman tours! Anyone know where to get one or willing to trade or sell?

Anyone who may have a Comet SCD-1 or similar Open Differential please PM me ASAP! 

Thanks in Advance!!!
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 1:51pm
The Honda Cam-n-Paw Differential can be used as an open differential depending on the shim size used. I know we have bought the older 6 bolt differentials directly from Honda parts that didn't have the ring gear on them (some of older differentials needed the ring gear machined off).
krowx View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 2:27pm

Mid 2004 model year is when Honda started changing over to having the ring gear attached.(Found this out the hard way)

Just to be safe i would order Honda Diffs Prior to 2004.
Karson
ODU BAJA

2011 Kansas
2012 Wisconsin
2013 RIT
2014 Illinois
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by krowx krowx wrote:

Mid 2004 model year is when Honda started changing over to having the ring gear attached.(Found this out the hard way)

Just to be safe i would order Honda Diffs Prior to 2004.

you mean we dont have to cut that friggin ring gear off?Confused
Iowa State Tech Director 2013-2014
Iowa State Project Director 2012-2013
krowx View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:35pm

YES it does!!

If you go into or call you local Honda Dealer they will be able to exactly tell you which years and models do not have them attached.

Safe bet is to shoot for early 2000's

Happy Shopping LOL
Karson
ODU BAJA

2011 Kansas
2012 Wisconsin
2013 RIT
2014 Illinois
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:43pm
well i guess thats nice to know for next year, are all other dimensions the same for them?  we run the front diff from the 06 rincon.  curious to know if we can interchange this for an older model diff
krowx View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 4:06pm
That i would not be able to tell you. Thats somthing you will need to dig into for your individual application.

I will tell you that the same Honda diffs can be found on multiple models over multiple years. If you contact your dealer they can look it up and tell you evreything you need to know. They can print a list with the rough dimensions of their Diff and what years/models it was used on.

Honda Diffs are simple and similair to one another so even if it is different it shouldn't be more than one or two minor changes for it to work on you application.
Karson
ODU BAJA

2011 Kansas
2012 Wisconsin
2013 RIT
2014 Illinois
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 4:21pm
where are you guys finding good prices on diff's?  i just purchased a new one from mrcycles.com for 150ish new, hard to find used ones online without buying the whole front final drive (case and all)
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by taukea taukea wrote:

well i guess thats nice to know for next year, are all other dimensions the same for them?  we run the front diff from the 06 rincon.  curious to know if we can interchange this for an older model diff

Is yours the 8 bolt model from the Rubicon? There are minor differences in construction and dimensions that I've observed over a few different models I've seen laying around the shop (all 6 bolt models). Bearing supports have been the same but I've seen the overall width of the assembled differential changes in the range of .100", so be careful on your gearbox design. 
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 1:19pm
Yeah its the 8 bolt.

krowx View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 8:08pm
We use the older 6bolt designs.

We have ordered from many places. This year we are trying CheapCycleParts for all our atv parts.
Karson
ODU BAJA

2011 Kansas
2012 Wisconsin
2013 RIT
2014 Illinois
Brauup View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brauup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2013 at 11:42pm
Still looking for one? I think this might be a comet. It was only used once before from what I was told. Just cleaning out the shop. Check out our new post for contact info. Thanks!

thomas71258 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas71258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2014 at 5:48pm

I will buy the Comet SCD-1 differential listed on your post photo, please call me at 412 860-1789 or email at the following mailto:tmhetherington@earth.net - tmhetherington@earthlink.net

Thanks,

Tom H.

Monongahela, Pa.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic