Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TTU S&T Course

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cincinnati James View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cincinnati James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 7:33pm
50% completion rate in actuality; not too far off. That 50% is probably something approximating 30% of all entrants though, so we'll give it to you.
Follow Bearcats Baja Racing on Facebook
12th Place - Baja SAE Tennessee Tech 2013

"Simplify, then add lightness."

- Colin Chapman
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 2:24pm
31 cars completed the course.  61 cars attempted.

Anybody care to share thoughts on what they liked/didn't like about this particular course?
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

Anybody care to share thoughts on what they liked/didn't like about this particular course?

How about: I dislike the fact that we weren't there to hit this course with our '13 car. Cry

Certainly looked a lot more challenging than the S&T courses at Auburn and Wisconsin last year. Good job Chris.

Edited by paasch - Apr/22/2013 at 2:43pm
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 3:27pm

I like how big my former team went on every obstacle. If that first jump was about a foot shorter or he had a slightly longer run-up, I think he may have cleared the whole thing on that 2nd run.

Best S&T course in a while. Good job Chris.

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

I like how big my former team went on every obstacle. If that first jump was about a foot shorter or he had a slightly longer run-up, I think he may have cleared the whole thing on that 2nd run.

Best S&T course in a while. Good job Chris.

I think the hard as a rock rear suspension is mostly to blame for the 2nd run swan dive.  Can't really argue with success.
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

I think the hard as a rock rear suspension is mostly to blame for the 2nd run swan dive.  Can't really argue with success.

The rear suspension is actually quite soft. Way softer than most teams because of the setup and the very low vehicle weight. The damping needs some work though and I bet you will see an improvement in Rochester.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

The rear suspension is actually quite soft. Way softer than most teams because of the setup and the very low vehicle weight. The damping needs some work though and I bet you will see an improvement in Rochester.

Paraphrasing from a Works shock catalogue:

"As a general rule, having too little rebound at the rear of a dirt machine is much better than having too much, the back end of the vehicle will want to pass you either to the left, or to the right, or over your head (endo)!  The fix for this condition is to decrease (soften) the rebound."
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 6:51pm
More paraphrasing:

"Generally speaking, the vehicle should settle 1/3 of its wheel travel with the rider on board for motocross, desert, trail and enduro use."

From YouTube videos I don't think Cornell's rear suspension settles much at all with the driver.  You've already indicated in a previous post they use stiff springs in place of an anti roll bar. 
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 7:01pm
This is getting quite specific to our team (of which I am no longer a part). I can not speak to the particulars of this year's car, but I do know the suspension is similar to last year's. 

The 2012 car had 5 inches of droop travel and 7 inches of compression if I remember correctly, both front and rear. I am not sure how much it settles when a driver gets in (a parameter that assumes some standard unit of driver and does not take into account varying degrees of friction, etc). I do know that the car is very soft and has more droop travel than most other teams and that really kicks ass for terrain following over bumps and woops. I am not sure the current valving / damping settings of the shocks but I am pretty sure it is no longer the stock Fox setup.

All I am saying is it is very soft compared to our pre-2012 cars and compared to most of the competition as well. It is not perfect, and I know they are working on it, but it seems to be pretty damn good for now.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
steelebn View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelebn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 8:08pm
I thought the course was good.  If any car doesn't have enough ground clearance, torque, or suspension strength to get through it, the design needs improvement.  I think the logs on the endurance track should have been secured down as with the S&T course so they couldn't be completely pushed out of the way.  Though it would certainly make a huge bottle neck so its a toss up.

Edited by steelebn - Apr/22/2013 at 8:12pm
Mr. Steele
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2013 at 1:11am
No doubt it was a hard course.  I didn't see as many broken parts as I expected but there were apparently a lot of teams that had trouble with either the first ditch or the City Logs.

I'm really happy with how it turned out though.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2013 at 4:44pm
People baby it during the first event. Cry
DomUL View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DomUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2013 at 6:47pm
From what I saw it looked really cool and challenging! Would have loved to try it out.
Good job Chris!
Dominic Marceau
Baja SAE Laval 2008 - 2012
Driver 2011 - 2012

http://minibaja.gmc.ulaval.ca/
Cincinnati James View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cincinnati James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2013 at 7:54pm
Follow Bearcats Baja Racing on Facebook
12th Place - Baja SAE Tennessee Tech 2013

"Simplify, then add lightness."

- Colin Chapman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic