Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would you like to get rid of the water event?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like to get rid of the water event?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [55.56%]
16 [44.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you like to get rid of the water event?
    Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:41pm
Let's take a vote.
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:43pm
No, you're all wusses.  :)
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:43pm
+1
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
ffriolet View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffriolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:52pm

No, I must improve my waterjet

Fred Friolet
Baja ETS
Team captain 2012
Design leader 2011
Driver 2011-2012
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:58pm
I am not a fan and I only been once but concider this: Baja has 3 competitions, they would ALL be the same if there weren't some variation ie design an amphibious car.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 4:06pm
I'd take it out and replace it with another event. To be fair, I would replace it with a sort of offroad event that would be common in that area. Since it seems like the water event takes place in the South, I'm thinking something like this:

It'd be like skippad for Formula except you see how many rotations you can get in a set amount of time Smile.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by ffriolet ffriolet wrote:

No, I must improve my waterjet

I want to spend my semesters making parts for that waterjet. (and other ETS projects)
BadgerMilk View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadgerMilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 7:22pm
In light of another one of my recent posts...  I'd either remove it, or change it from "flotation" to "fording."
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 9:46am
I mean this is the quest for the ultimate all terrain vehicle isn't it?

Although I guess this begs the question as to whether or not water counts as terrain, but that's just symantics.
Tyrell Laxton
TTU Baja (guy with the hair)
www.ttubaja.com
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 11:43am

I think there are just a handful of objectors to the water event that are being vocal. 

I remember it snowing during the 04 event.  My dry suit kept me warm but my hands were half frozen.  Good Fun!  I’d do it again.

ffriolet View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffriolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 8:54am
This is why I think Water Event can be more exciting. This video is our bench test for the waterjet. I'm disapointed that it didn't work like this in the competition. But I didn't have time to think about a good intake when is was install on the Baja and we have a cavitation probleme due to high turbulence after the for a-arm.

On this bench test, we mesure 115 pounds of thrust with a setup that have a lot of friction and hysterisis. The pump was design to absorbe 6HP. So I think that a Baja can be propulse effeciently by a waterjet. I just need to rethink and make some analyse on the intake flow ;)

The system weigth 28 pounds with the oil, and after manufactured all the pieces, I certify that the system can be lighter of a least 10-15 pounds. I was quite conservatif with all my calculation.

So let's go all.. Let's do some high speed Baja :)

Edited by ffriolet - Jul/12/2011 at 11:26am
Fred Friolet
Baja ETS
Team captain 2012
Design leader 2011
Driver 2011-2012
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 11:44am

That is absolutely awesome! Please show up to comp and dominate with that contraption.

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

That is absolutely awesome! Please show up to comp and dominate with that contraption.

They had it in Birmingham. Like he mentioned, it didnt work as expected but definetly cool and potentially very useful.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 11:47am
As much as I think the water event is dumb, it would be freaking awesome to see a team get their car up on plane and screaming through the water.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

As much as I think the water event is dumb, it would be freaking awesome to see a team get their car up on plane and screaming through the water.

Well we have the "screaming" part down...
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

Well we have the "screaming" part down...

True.  Speaking of your screaming, in Alabama '09, some random guy standing beside me watching endurance asked why your car was so loud.  

Scotty from Taylor Race Engineering jokingly answered him with, 

"I think it's those carbon fiber axles whistling in the wind." LOL
ffriolet View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffriolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

They had it in Birmingham. Like he mentioned, it didnt work as expected but definetly cool and potentially very useful.

I under-estimate the influence of the front turbulence on the NPSH (Net positif suction head). I decide to position the intake in the front to avoid getting stuck with two hole on the skidplate. So we suffer of cavitation on the entering of the intake. Axial pump are very sensitive to this king of cavitation because is unprime the pump and instead of pushing water, you push air that is 1000X less dense, so 1000x less thrust. Those thing appen when you test it the first time on the car in the competition.

We'll modify the intake this summer and surely repost a video with the real thing, hoping that we'll not have other issue. First prototype for use, a lot's a debuging night
Fred Friolet
Baja ETS
Team captain 2012
Design leader 2011
Driver 2011-2012
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ffriolet ffriolet wrote:

Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

I under-estimate the influence of the front turbulence on the NPSH (Net positif suction head). I decide to position the intake in the front to avoid getting stuck with two hole on the skidplate. So we suffer of cavitation on the entering of the intake. Axial pump are very sensitive to this king of cavitation because is unprime the pump and instead of pushing water, you push air that is 1000X less dense, so 1000x less thrust. Those thing appen when you test it the first time on the car in the competition.

We'll modify the intake this summer and surely repost a video with the real thing, hoping that we'll not have other issue. First prototype for use, a lot's a debuging night

I am really curipus about the jet system. How does it run off the gearbox? Is it a detachable unit that is bolted on the gearbox or you manufactured two gearboxes this year?

Willing to share any pics? :P
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
ffriolet View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffriolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 10:28am
Only one gearbox for all competition. The jet system is mount on the subframe by 4 bolt and a timing pulley drive it. It's actuated by a PTO shaft that's drive by the output gear and have a dog style engagement system. This is some screen shot of the system, it's not the final version, but it's show how it's work.

How to reduce size of image?

Edited by ffriolet - Jul/13/2011 at 11:20am
Fred Friolet
Baja ETS
Team captain 2012
Design leader 2011
Driver 2011-2012
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2011 at 10:49am
MERCI!

When you insert the pictures in the post, you can actually resize it manually as you would in Microsoft Word or you can do it manually by entering the value for height and width when previewing the picture in the image uploader.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic