Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alright, Fess up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kick_Rennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alright, Fess up
    Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 12:39am
Who broke something at Baja SAE Birmingham? 
Let's see what that mud pit of an endurance course did to everybody's car!

Kick
Sarah View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 1:16am
we lost a fender on the last lap

no idea where it went
University of South Carolina - Gamecock Baja 2011
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 3:40am
Nothing, we'll inspect our car to be 100% sure of it.
Kick_Rennedy View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kick_Rennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 11:56am
We made it out surprisingly unscathed too. We're awful proud of both our cars having survived the race and placed so well.
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 12:02pm
We failed 1 of 2 bearings in the driverside rear hub, presumably due to the fact that I decided to buy $3 Chinese 6006 bearings since we split the outer race literally in half.  Driver seems to think it happened about hour 2.5-3 but noted that it didn't slow the car down any.  I've decided to just go ahead and redesign the rear hub to run oil bathed tapered rollers instead of taking a chance on higher quality ball bearings.  Design is already done and I should be ordering the parts/material today.  Other than that, we didn't break anything.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Kick_Rennedy View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kick_Rennedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 12:56am
Y'all failed a bearing and still pulled 20 laps? wow.
DomUL View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DomUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 1:08am
We had to do two pit stops to cut out some foam at the back to be able to get out of water (never tried to get out of water before... our mistake)

Other than that, our steering was a bit stiff to turn at the end!! 
Dominic Marceau
Baja SAE Laval 2008 - 2012
Driver 2011 - 2012

http://minibaja.gmc.ulaval.ca/
jollirodger View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollirodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 3:16am
Four inner CV clip rings pulled out, and a very wet CVT.

toolmodel View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmodel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 3:42pm
Sarah------That fender was lost right between turn 32 and 33.  I was sitting on the side of the course on carnage crew and as you were going it just flew off the car.  I was told it was reported over the radio as belonging to car 15 and that we had it.  I must say, that fender was a tank.  It appeared to me that one of the welds holding it on sheared off and the bolt hole on the other side split in two.  Was that made out of all steel?  It had to have weighed over 30 pounds no joke.
Sarah View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2011 at 8:52pm
yah.. they were 16 gauge steel.. pretty massive i know.. but they were kinda made a couple days before we left and thats what we had at the shop lol  and one of the guys read on the forum that you should be able to stand on the fenders so they last.. you could def. stand on them.. oh and one of the newer guys at welding is the one who welded them

the weld and mount actually broke after 4 or 5 laps and one of the guys rewelded it real quick.. i think it originally started to break on the 2nd lap during that flip/roll

it lasted until the end when one of the guys saw that it was breaking again.. when we got the car into the pits it was gone and there was only so much longer in the race so we just cut the other one off too.. car was still faster then quite a few cars in the water without fenders on it

it would have been better if the other two braces that were orginally on it hadnt been cut off (and it hadnt rolled of course).. but the fenders were made before final assembly of the car (so no motor).. we didnt realize until we left one brace would have hit the filter hose and the other was in the way of the CVT cover

but they worked Big smile    but the fender and that stupid rear float piece are the only things that gave us problems until the chain popped off on the last lap.. pretty sure we would have placed higher sunday but we did a lot of driver changes

*AND* still got right in the middle of the pack on saturday in acceleration with the tank fenders and a messed up CVT Big smile   
University of South Carolina - Gamecock Baja 2011
MMBRETTS View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MMBRETTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2011 at 2:28pm
those fenders were beasts! pretty sure we helped u guys cut off the second one and lent u a strap for ur rear float!

our carnage report:
throttle cable drum stripped at motor (lap2)
front wheel bearing (ended up stopping me cold in the mud right after the water)(lap4)
turnbuckle chain tensioner snapped (bubble in the casting)(Halfway)
and an end twisted off one of the front podiums.(got the car back on the track just in time to finish the lap)
Michigan Tech Baja Suspension Design 'till 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic