Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morsczx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension Design
    Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 7:40am
I just need a basic outline on how to design the suspension system, the steps , the softwares used for simulation, what targets to keep in mind.

In the past , we've just been using Lotus to fiddle around, get close to ideal graphs and just basically wing it, I would like to know a more scientific approach if such an approach exists.
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 7:45am
In my opinion, this is a very vague question. It would get you more results, if you had specific questions and not just ask the basic steps to design an entire subsystem.
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
morsczx View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morsczx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 7:52am
Apologies.
Let me rephrase.
If I want to design the suspension system of our atv from scratch, from where should I begin? A specific book for example which would give me the pre req knowledge to design. I'm aware of the various publications out there, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, we're in a bit of a time crunch which is why i just need guidance on where to begin the design from.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 8:22am
i'd start with "racecar Vehicle Dynamics" it is a wealth of knowledge. just remember that your tires will behave differently than in the book as they refer to on road tires on pavement. the rest of the book can be applied to our situation.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic