Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swapping Gear Sizes in a Gearbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyri0923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping Gear Sizes in a Gearbox?
    Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 1:42am
I don't see any threads discussing the idea, so has anyone seen this or know of any topics discussing it?:
I want design our gearbox this year with sliding bearing carriers on the output shaft, allowing me to swap in a slightly smaller or larger output gear to change the overall ratio. I figure I'll make 5 gears total, 2 on either side of what we decided is ideal, then swap and test them. This is our first year with a dedicated test engineer, and we've already got a pretty solid design from last year, so the next step would seem to be this kind of tuning/refinement. Thoughts?
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:19am
Very easy to do, you just cant change them once you get to comp. between different comps is fine though. one year we had designed for the Wisconsin course which has some hilly parts, then for the Epreuve du nord which is quite flat, we switched out the second reduction for a larger pinion and a smaller driven gear resulting in more speed on the flatter course. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Kyri0923 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyri0923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 8:09am
Excellent RLM, thanks. Can i ask, did any of your shafts need to move when you did this, or did you use diameters such that c to c didn't change?

Also, has anyone tried accomplishing the same thing by combining a single reduction gearbox with a chain drive?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic