Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2013 Rules Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Rules Discussion
    Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 11:35am
Am I reading it right that the side numbers have to stick up now?  It won't be long until someone clips something and rips a number off. LOL

Edited by dillon_b12 - Sep/07/2012 at 2:28pm
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 12:30pm
I think they are referring to something UAB's car as shown above. They seem to work pretty well.
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 12:56pm
I would prefer that any day to the cutout numbers that used to be required.  Much more durable in my opinion.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

I am reading it right that the side numbers have to stick up now?  It won't be long until someone clips something and rips a number off. LOL

If I read this right, the front number is also a "primary number" and has to stick up as well. That one won't last long.

No numbers required on the side panels. More room for sponsor stickers.
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 2:37pm
For some reason, I was thinking the side panels were going to have stick-up numbers as well.  If side panels aren't required I don't think it will be much of an issue.

Although, you're right, the front one will take a beating.
BajaFEI View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BajaFEI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 5:05pm
6061-T6 as powertrain guards, that's something.

About the numbers, I wonder how teams with front bracing members will do that. We had to weld tabs to our roll cage to hold the numbers last time we went to the US competition, since we had no rear bracing.
frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 7:31pm
Yeah I'm not a fan of the new number rules either since we don't run rear bracing. It's sure not going to be pretty, and it will be much harder to read when it's covered in mud compared to what we did in 2012.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:11pm
How can we actually keep the front numbers on the car, I mean one nosedive and those suckers will be toast. Can they be on top of the "hood" for those cars with noses? For those without a nose.... dun dun dunnnn
sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 9:05pm
Forget the numbers, the lax fasteners rule from last year is still there!!! Party Party Party Party Party
As opposed to previous years, Safety wire EVERYTHING! We've still got brake calipers that are drilled for safety wire!
And I can't remember the last time a judge asked to see proof of correct material for powertrain guards. They must've just assumed that our tank box had a safety factor of 20 (which they'd be correct)
Shaun
Purdue University Calumet - PUC Motorsports
2010 - Washington #18
2011 - Peoria #30
2012 - Wisconsin #54
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 9:29pm
I like the new design report and presentation process a lot.

and still no rule about suspended seats.... I guess I know what our team will be doing then
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
AndyRIT View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyRIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

I like the new design report and presentation process a lot.

I am going to highlight this because it is a big change!
RIT Baja SAE Alumni 04'-09'
RIT Baja Team Manager 06'-08'
2010 RIT Track builder
2011 CAT/IL Comp Team Leader
2012 Wis vol
2013 RIT Track Builder
Diesel Calibration Engineer-Kohler Engines
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

How can we actually keep the front numbers on the car, I mean one nosedive and those suckers will be toast. Can they be on top of the "hood" for those cars with noses? For those without a nose.... dun dun dunnnn

I'm thinking some 1/2" foam front numbers will work out pretty decent.
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 4:21pm

Aren't the transponders the answer to tracking muddy cars?  No matter what you do with the numbers, there is an opportunity for them to become un-readable.

Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 5:21pm
Numbers are used to double check the laps and verify if transponders are still working.
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

Aren't the transponders the answer to tracking muddy cars?  No matter what you do with the numbers, there is an opportunity for them to become un-readable.

If someone on the track spots something wrong with your car and needs to tell the tech inspectors about it, they can't identify you from your transponders.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic