Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for BajaSAE.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2010 at 11:11am

on the main forum page the active users are displayed...

I'd like to see a section for parts/gear/tools/major suppliers review.  Somewhere we can discuss drills, benders, shocks, etc.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
RoughMill View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoughMill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2010 at 10:34pm
Im new to Baja SAE,  My involvement is on the fabrication end of things.  I know there are allot of other resources on the web relating to the fab of offroad vehicles  but I think it would be cool if we had a dedicated section focusing on fabrication here on these forums.  Other than that I like it!  I think ive been over to the "official" forums once or twice. 
MCC/Tribune Racing
President
Fabrication Team Leader
Monroe Community College
Tooling and Machining 2012
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 7:59pm
It would be nice if embedded videos would kick you over to watch the video on Youtube when clicked on.  They are supposed to do this when you click the Youtube icon in the lower right hand or the title.  I haven't found any way to get it to take me to the video on Youtube yet.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 11:34pm
Same problem here with firefox and Internet Explorer. It is possible to search youtube by the video title and go that route.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2011 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

Same problem here with firefox and Internet Explorer. It is possible to search youtube by the video title and go that route.

No luck with Chrome or Firefox for me.  I'm aware I could just search the title, just way more convenient not to have to. Smile
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 8:23pm
This might be a dumb question, but the homepage still says that new features are coming in 2009. Is this going to change?
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by tp tp wrote:

This might be a dumb question, but the homepage still says that new features are coming in 2009. Is this going to change?

It's a valid question.  The quick answer is yes, and relatively soon...  and while we're on the subject, I'll take responsibility for the information vacuum in this area.  Much of the detail will come later, but here is a brief update:

During mid/late 2009 my team gathered all of the proposed ideas and formulated a preliminary design for each concept, which took us into early 2010.

Next we put forth a lot of effort trying to get official support for the forum and funding for many of these other BajaSAE features.  The result was fairly positive and the questions and claimed benefits sparked some discussion about a number of other enhancements that would benefit everybody involved in Baja as well.  Realizing we had an opportunity to help improve stuff even more, we spent much time and effort (most of the rest of 2010) discussing and designing those other components. 

As of the beginning of 2011, the plan is done, the stakeholders are happy with it, and we are currently finalizing the nature of the official support.  As always, it's not possible to do all of the enhancements right away, and the most beneficial ones have been pushed to the top of the list.  However, we do hope to roll out some exciting new stuff in the coming months and on into the future.  (I dare not specify another date...  I won't make that mistake again!)

Thanks for the interest.
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2011 at 5:39pm
The "Printable Version" feature doesn't seem to work on long, multi-page threads. Print copies I've tried to make cut off somewhere on page 3. Does anybody else have this problem?
University of Rochester Alum
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 2:15pm
Is there a way we can make a rule that new members have to introduce themselves in the Introduction thread first? It'd cut down on the people that keep showing up to make a few dumb anonymous comments then leave. I've seen it on a couple other forums and it works well.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 12:33pm
See Soccerdan's post here....

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/innovation_topic782_post10445.html#10445

On that note, I would "like" the above suggestion
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 4:22am
Originally posted by tp tp wrote:

Is there a way we can make a rule that new members have to introduce themselves in the Introduction thread first? It'd cut down on the people that keep showing up to make a few dumb anonymous comments then leave. I've seen it on a couple other forums and it works well.

I second this one big time.  If people don't want to put their name, at least providing basic info about their school and experience would be at least a start.  It may take more work than it's worth, but also having the first thread started by a new user to be reviewed by the "mod squad" (or even us members) before they can start another thread could prove helpful.  It's starting to seem that I have to go farther and farther back to get useful, innovative information regarding actual engineering.  Then again, I had the luxury/sense to ask all of my dumb questions to older members on my team/ pick up a book before posting on this forum.
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2011 at 4:30am
I really like the idea of adding a drop-down option to threads started in the design dicsussion that allows the poster to mark their thread by subsystem (steering, suspension, brakes, tire selection, drivetrain, etc.) that can be seen by the search function would be nice.  It wouldn't be required, but having the option would be nice, so that someone searching for info on CVT weights doesn't end up with a bunch of posts about how much someone's frame weighed after paint a year ago (just an example).  Not a huge change, but it could eliminate a lot of repeat threads and fragmented information.  
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:07am
What would people think about an alumni section?  I've been wanting to start up a Baja SAE Alumni Association so that we can re-integrate graduates with tech, design, race organizers, jobs...  As a prelude to an organization, what say you about a section in the forum?
Auburn Baja 03-05

Masters involving dynamic simulation of baja car and driver

SAE Auburn Race Organizer 06, 09, 12, 15

SAE Birmingham Race Organizer 11

National Tech. Inspector 07-15
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:16am
Something like, how do I become a tech inspector, Help organize a race, need help finding a job?
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:32am
I like that idea.  It would be even better if there was a way to make it a private section of the forum reserved for that specific group of users.  
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

johnfar109 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfar109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 11:27am
I like the idea. I think it could help Event Organizers Share more information and Get more people involved. 
- John Farnach

RIT BAJA SAE

That Guy 04-09'

RIT 2010 Maneuverability Captain & Track Prep and Construction
RIT 2013, 2016, 2019 Electronic Scoring & Track Prep and Construction
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 11:37am
I like that idea too, and for what its worth I want to volunteer at TTU this year. Preferably either design or suspension, but I'll take whatever is available.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
DomUL View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DomUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 12:33pm
I think this would be a good idea. For my part, I would like to volunteer at the Rochester event. I think there is more and more alumni on here and something should be done to avoid losing those good ressources!
Dominic Marceau
Baja SAE Laval 2008 - 2012
Driver 2011 - 2012

http://minibaja.gmc.ulaval.ca/
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 12:55pm
Yeah, I would like to volunteer as a tech or judge or whatever before I'm out of the game too long and become too much of a senile and crotchety old man.  
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 1:01pm
I agree, I would like to be involved in Washington this year, and I think that an Alumni section would be very useful.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Yeah, I would like to volunteer as a tech or judge or whatever before I'm out of the game too long and become too much of a senile and crotchety old man.  

Concur. It's something I've been meaning to do, but I'm now 3.5 years out of school and still haven't gotten around to it. 

But I did meet an Embry-Riddle Baja alumnus today who apparently works for my company. Talked some baja shop. So that's cool.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 4:36pm
Due to a recent influx what do you think about a sub-forum for Baja India?
Iowa State Tech Director 2013-2014
Iowa State Project Director 2012-2013
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 8:57pm
Ahh just saw this, looks like I posted in the wrong thread.
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2014 at 11:08pm
Any way to synchronize the user accounts for www.bajasae.net and forums.bajasae.net? I hate having a million accounts, and anybody with an account on www.bajasae.net that is affiliated with a team should automatically get forum access in my opinion.
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 4:01pm
I believe this was originally planned for, but something that didn't get implemented. I'll ask Mike Z and have him answer.
kcooper273 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcooper273 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by taukea taukea wrote:

Due to a recent influx what do you think about a sub-forum for Baja India?

I wouldn't mind this as well. Some of the questions asked are just awful....
Michigan Tech Baja 2010-Dec 2014 Victory Lap: Auburn 2015. 2nd Victory Lap Maryland 2015 (Peer Pressure)

CYS Motorsports-TORC Super Stock Truck #873
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 10:04pm
The forum was originally created for the North American competitions. Central/South American teams joined and and began contributing.
Indian teams also joined, but have given almost no contributions and generally spam the forum with ignorant posts. 

Of the last 25 or so threads in Design Discussion. I think only 2 are non-Indian. Maybe 3 are worth anything. So 90% of the threads in DD are Indian, and they're all crap. 

I'm favoring making a moderator-approved registration. If you're from India, you get no registration. You sneak by and make stupid post- you're banned. 

An Indian sub-forum doesn't help the search results being crushed by terrible threads/posts. It also seems a little bit off to me to segregate Indians to their own little sub-forum. Lastly, I just don't like the idea of giving people forum bandwidth that don't deserve it. 

However, this forum is for the users, not the administrators/moderators. If yous guys want an Indian sub-forum, we can try it and see how it goes. 
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 11:22pm
I'm generally not in favour of restricting forum membership to non-Indians. I think that sends the wrong message; instead of encouraging them to improve, we're just giving up on them. Regardless of how bad some of the posts may be, I have to believe that there are Indian Baja participants out there who are genuinely trying to improve. If we have to put up with a thousand terrible posters to find that one guy, at the end of the day, I think it's still worth it.

Also, even though many of the threads are pretty inane, some genuinely interesting discussions have come up in response to Indian posts that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. Plus, there's the entertainment value.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2014 at 1:39am
Remember how games used to have a "Vote to Kick" feature (Maybe they still do, I don't play much any more...)? 

Would it be possible to have a voting system on a thread to just down vote a topic to the point where it could just be deleted? So if you asked something stupid, the users could downvote the topic and it would go away. 

In the event that a topic was worthwhile, it would get upvoted and stay.

I tend to agree with Zack re: blanket exclusion, but at the same time it is a major issue. An ideal solution would be a wholly separate forum for Baja India. They keep the collaboration and don't have to do it in broken english. But, that would have to be setup locally. Not by this crew.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2014 at 2:04am
Kinda funny mocking on morontic/suppa-lazy-mode-on topics, but this is not a humor forum, and this wave of lame topics really can be a problem in long term
Former Team Captain
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2014 at 4:12pm
I vote for banning the user Ashutosh95
Every time this guy posts in the forums, comes with poorly vague questions easily answered for a quick google search and puts at least 3 copies in unrelated topics. true spammer.
Former Team Captain
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2014 at 5:09pm
^+1
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 6:27pm
sub forum for DANA Spicer H12
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 7:02pm
I honestly don't even think that would help.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:52am
Suggestion for the forum: Tapatalk compatible?  That might require re-doing the entire forum, though.
Nick Sjoberg View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sjoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 8:15pm
When I try to submit a rules question it brings me to a different screen and gives me these options. None of which help me submit a rules question. Is there an email address I can just send a question to? 

Also, why is the forum account different than the normal website account? 

COMMUNITY MEMBER

• http://bajasae.net/cdsweb/gen/Change.aspx - Change My Password
  • http://bajasae.net/cdsweb/gen/UpdateAccount.aspx - Update My CdsWeb User Account
  • http://bajasae.net/cdsweb/gen/ManageEmailPrefs.aspx - Manage Email Preferences
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic