Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for BajaSAE.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for BajaSAE.net
    Posted: Dec/15/2008 at 2:12am
Welcome
Just to be clear, this online community is here to serve:

-You, the Teams, who are currently designing, building, and preparing to compete.  Everyone from the top 10 to the first-season teams is encouraged to participate here. Ultimately, this site exists to help share information for your benefit. 

-Your local Competition Organizers, who want to keep the lines of communication open so that all are well-informed about what to expect before coming to competition.  This does not necessarily mean that they will give you every last detail, but they do want you to understand how your cars will be evaluated and be well prepared for the event.

-Baja Alumni who want to stay involved in BajaSAE and share experience and advice wherever applicable.

Unofficial Disclaimer
Once again, these forums are "unofficial" in that they are NOT officially sponsored, endorsed, or monitored by SAE in any way.  Currently, for official statements or rulings from the national tech inspectors or other organizers, you must email them directly.

As many of you are aware, there are already national Baja forums available (hosted by SAE).  Many members feel that those forums are outdated and lack important capabilities that are critical to good, agile collaboration. 

OK, so who IS running this?

This site is operated by a number of Baja Alumni from several universities.  Many of us still  volunteer at a competition every year, some of us are Competition Organizers, and others are National Tech Inspectors.  We love Baja, and while we enjoyed everything Baja had to offer, we know many of the frustrations you guys [still] deal with all too well.  We want to stay involved, and now that we're not competing anymore we're spending some of our time trying to make things better than when we were behind the wheel.

So, we've decided to supplement what is currently available with this site.  We believe that this is for the better of all involved in BajaSAE, and we are trying hard to be seen by SAE as a benefit (rather than a threat).  We ask for your support here--as opportunities arise, please reinforce to them how this site has made your BajaSAE experience a better one.  Positive feedback from teams is most likely the best way to ensure that we can continue to provide these forums (and other services) into the future.

What's Next
Speaking of which, we'd like to open up that topic for your input.  We opened with the BajaSAE.net Forums, which are off to a good start.
What else would you like too see here?

Feel free to suggest any ideas you have for other stuff for BajaSAE.net, or how we can continue to improve what we already have. 

Thanks for your time!
-Mike

mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2008 at 2:49am
I'll start with a few things that have been suggested already.  Share your thoughts about these.

-FAQ / Knowledge Base for the official BajaSAE rules
(published and maintained by the National Tech Inspectors)

Every year people always complain about the BajaSAE Rules.  Many teams have made the statement that, in order to be able to understand the rules, you have to simply have been to competition at least once and learned by the experience.  It's definitely true that few things are better than having been to a competition to observe everything before the first time you compete.  But this is not always possible for first-season teams, and it should not be a requirement in order to be able to understand the rules and comply with them.  And yes, everyone agrees (officials included) that some of the rules are "stupid".  Finally, suffice it to say that in *some cases* the rules are non-specific by design, and are left to be evaluated in their full extent within the context and competition at hand.  Doing so is not always the best idea, but usually attempting to explicitly state every possible option is equally as impractical.  Such is the reality of organizing engineering events.  Etc, etc. 

I don't want to go on and on about every problem with the rules.  What I do want to do is discuss how we might make them (or access to them, and discussion of them) better.  I think we can all agree that some means by which we can better understand what is meant by the rules would be a big step forward.  The FAQ / Knowledge Base system could essentially supersede the email-only process that we currently have in place, and could become THE place to go to easily ask questions (and find answers) to rules-related topics. 

Imagine there is a rule about which you had a question--say "seat belt mounting".  Suppose you could jump to the rule by entering "33.2.3", or find it by searching for any rules that mention "shoulder belts".  Once there, you can read the rule itself and also see a list of all questions that had been asked about that particular rule, and even read the responses to those questions from the National Techs.  You could "subscribe" to that rule's  section, so that whenever someone asks another question related to that rule (or a Tech answers one), you get a notification to check it out.  You could even ask your own question (publicly or privately) and get an authoritative answer.  Also, from season to season as the rules committee changes the rules, you can be notified (once they are released) about exactly which sections changed from last year and start getting clarification on those items sooner rather than later.  If you think about it, much of this information is already available, but the ways which we currently manage it make finding, accessing, or even becoming aware of it a challenge.  In this age, there is no reason for that.  We can have the tools to handle this much better as long as we can see where it is that we want to be, and are willing to adapt that into our workflow.

In order for a system like this to ever work, it would of course have to have support from the National Techs and SAE, which is definitely not a given at this point.  Still, I think the idea has a lot of potential to provide better management of the rules and the other information that teams need to fully understand their meaning.  I also believe that something like this would ultimately make life easier for the Teams and the National Techs, while enabling both to do a better job.
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 3:21pm
Would a classifieds forum be of any interest?
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2008 at 4:58am
Free candy...?
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2008 at 10:23am

Edit: Re-linked picture

Edited by JeremyB - Apr/07/2009 at 1:51am
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2008 at 5:43pm
Nah man I know that dude, his name's Jim and his van is white but he's totally legit.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2008 at 5:48pm
On a serious note a page with known vendors who are friendly with the Baja program and have good discounts would be a good section.  I know Fox has a decent discount at 25% and Douglas used to do 2-for-1's on their wheels but a good reference of who is supporting the program with cheap parts would be great.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2008 at 10:44pm
A list of good Baja vendors and their discounts sounds like a great idea to me.  I'll put it on the list.  Thanks!
charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2008 at 12:12pm
How can we use this discount with Douglas?
thanks
FWBcut View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWBcut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2009 at 11:49pm
Last year I asked Douglas about the discount and they said they weren't doing it anymore. I think they said it was because they didn't have enough money for it. 
Joe
U. of South Florida
Baja captain 07-08
www.usfracing.com
jhu42 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 4:04pm
Hey all,

Of course the success of a forum is related to the number of members on it.  As a result, you guys should make a flyer and pass it out to the teams at competition.  Something simple like the forum url and a picture of a baja car going off a jump.  I think that will really help the forum add many more members.  It is really nice being able to post pictures and I think the other teams once they know about this forum will use it more.

My thoughts,

Thanks,
Adam Baumgartner
Social Media Director, #BajaMaryland
Test Driver, Honda R&D Americas Inc
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 8:07pm
Thanks, Adam.  That's a great suggestion, and one that we are hoping to be able to do during the first race this season at Auburn. 

The only thing that makes me hesitate even a moment on it is that I'm not sure how SAE will react.  In the recent past, they have expressed irritation that our forums even exist, citing that it basically competes for attention with the "official" SAE forums.  Unfortunately, they could probably give us hell if they wanted to get nasty about things. 

However, upon us finding that FormulaSAE has their own independent forum (and apparently has for some time time now), there is a better precedent for the BajaSAE forums too.  In fact, I really feel that I should have started this forum back in the early 2000s when the ideas first came up.

In any case, I really feel this site (especially the forums) has a lot to offer the Baja community, and that the benfits outweigh the risks of angering SAE.  (And, if they'd hear me out about the topic, I really feel that they would actually agree.)  Therefore, I'm going to try to do my best to spread the word about BajaSAE.net at the upcoming competition.  I'd ask for you guys' help also.  Let people know that we've got a good thing started and to come be involved!

Thanks for your support,
-Mike
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2009 at 1:19pm
I could see SAE being annoyed about a different forum, but at the same time it's not like there is an revenue being missed out on. Also, the official forums suck. A lot. The only way this forum is not better than the official one is that it is unofficial.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2009 at 1:34pm
Agreed that the official forum is terrible...  more active members would help this one flourish. 

I like the idea of a classified or FS/WTB section.  As the captain of a second year team, we struggle with budget and funding, especially these first few years.  From tools, to trailers, to shocks, CVT's and wheels... we don't have the money to buy new stuff only to find out that it doesn't fit the bill of our needs when we test.  More established teams have warehouses of parts that they don't use I'm sure, and it would be nice to have a place to find some deals on "lightly used goods"  even if some of them do need a rebuild...

Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2009 at 11:30am
Agreed on the FS section.  We have a ton of stuff that we could sell to new teams.  We don't have a whole lot of funding and getting rid of some of these parts would help a ton and clear up some valuable storage space.
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2009 at 12:32pm
Classifieds section created. Clicky

Shazaam!

Edited by JeremyB - Feb/02/2009 at 12:35pm
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2009 at 5:41pm
Thanks!
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2009 at 3:25pm
It may have already been suggested but I would like to see a "Build Progress" section of the forum where each team could start up their own thread to post pictures and updates on how their build is coming.
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 6:21pm
I may create a "Build Progress" subforum when traffic has increased a bit. In the meantime, feel free to start a thread dedicated to your car. 

Edited by JeremyB - Feb/18/2009 at 6:21pm
infocustrasti View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocustrasti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 6:34pm
Hey how about making some stickers with the URL to post on the cars of the people that are already part of the forum! I wouldn't mind... would have to see what the rest of the team says but I bet that one sticker is good for at least 3 hp!!
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by infocustrasti infocustrasti wrote:

Hey how about making some stickers with the URL to post on the cars of the people that are already part of the forum! I wouldn't mind... would have to see what the rest of the team says but I bet that one sticker is good for at least 3 hp!!

I like it. Someone with more creative photoshop skills can take it from here.

Here is the .psd file: http://joe.batwinis.googlepages.com/BumperSticker.psd

Edited by adrive7 - Feb/18/2009 at 8:18pm
-Joe
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:23am
Haha.  Awesome!  Downloaded...  Thanks guys.  I'll see what I can do.
goliath0904 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goliath0904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2009 at 10:19pm
I think a Baja SAE wiki would be a great thing that could benefit many teams.

Our team uses a wiki to keep track things like vendors, catalogs, and other resources.  If every baja team contributed to a centralized wiki I think it would be a great help to many teams.
Jared Szechy - Treasurer
University of Dayton Mini Baja
sae.udayton.edu

jhu42 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2009 at 11:01pm
Hey guys,
I had other ideas about what the forum could do.

First, there should be a search function.  This will keep people from making posts that already exist.

Second if it is possible a page to post links to team's videos from competition and testing.

I imagine it would work like this.  I can post a video on my site, but the chance someone searches for my exact "baja hopkins" link is low, the same issue exists on youtube,  typing baja sae only gets you so far, also the quality stinks.  What we need is a list that has say team name and them links added below them.  This allows people to come to this site and see where the videos are and then click the link to them.  Basically it is a Baja video catalog.

Example

Ohio State
video 1
video 2
Johns Hopkins University
video 1
video 2 --(perhaps and explanation of what the video is of)
..etc

USF's page has a good example of this type of organization.  It will work well because BajaSAE.net does not have to host the video's, just hold the links, this allows any format also (WMV, Quicktime, Youtube,).

I would really like this because it would allow more people in the baja community to see my video; I am sure the other teams would want the same type of centralized area for their videos. 

My ideas for the site,

Later,
Adam
Adam Baumgartner
Social Media Director, #BajaMaryland
Test Driver, Honda R&D Americas Inc
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2009 at 11:09pm
Thanks Jared.  We are definitely considering some sort of central repository for storing and easily sharing knowledge in the Baja world.  I've noted your ideas and suggestions for that stuff, and we will be announcing the kickoff of some of those types of features hopefully this fall.

Thanks,
-Mike
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2009 at 11:18pm
Adam-
I also really think your suggestion for using part of the forum as a springboard to your own content would work really well for many teams.  I like and agree with your supporting reasons. 

Does anyone else have anything similar to this in mind?  Should we shoot for something specific to videos, or would it be beneficial (or worse) to make it even more general than that?  Thoughts...?

We have an organizer meeting tomorrow and I'll discuss this with JeremB and see what he thinks would be the best way to do it.  We'll wait a week or so to give everybody time to discuss it here if they want.  Stay tuned, and thanks for sharing the ideas!

BTW, have you used the forum's search feature?  (Personally, I haven't much, so I'm not sure if it's adequate for what you are asking...)  Did you find it had problems or shortcomings?  If not, check it out.  Let us know what it doesn't do that you're suggesting we should have.

Thanks,
-Mike
zehlerdj View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zehlerdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2009 at 12:06am
I would suggest pictures as well, I know sometimes one team may get a picture of another hitting a big jump or doing something sick and that would be a good way to share all the cool pics teams have as well as videos.
Dan Z.
Clarkson Baja
Team Leader
mu View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 10:57am
Originally posted by goliath0904 goliath0904 wrote:

I think a Baja SAE wiki would be a great thing that could benefit many teams.

Our team uses a wiki to keep track things like vendors, catalogs, and other resources.  If every baja team contributed to a centralized wiki I think it would be a great help to many teams.

I came here to suggest a wiki, it seems like someone else already had the idea.  it would cool to be able to list info in one easy to find location (e.g. CVT weights, ratios, etc) instead of searching through tons of posts or having someone else ask the same question.
Andy

2009-2010 Ohio State Baja SAE Captain
www.osubaja.com
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2009 at 5:48pm
Some sort of blog on the main landing page for recent news either directly about baja or events like it.

Something along the lines of what Ecomodder has.

-Joe
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 9:10am
A gear/parts review section would be great.

Somewhere we we can either sing the praises of/denounce publicly tires, shocks, cvt's, wheels, hubs, etc.  Maybe even a special subsection for tires since they seem to be a fairly important part of both vehicle handling and event-specific performance.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2009 at 10:35am
I agree that a parts/company review section would be pretty sweet.
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 8:52pm
So... Alabama '09 is looking pretty lonely in the "Competitons" section of the Forum. Any plans to add this year's competitions, or is the Competitions section going the way of the dodo bird?
jarmumd View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 2:40pm
There are major changes going on behind the scenes, please be patient through this transition, it will take some time!
Auburn Baja 03-05

Masters involving dynamic simulation of baja car and driver

SAE Auburn Race Organizer 06, 09, 12, 15

SAE Birmingham Race Organizer 11

National Tech. Inspector 07-15
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 11:21pm
Sorry.  I accept responsibility for the slow progress.  However, the following are in the works at the moment: 

-Slight Forum re-org, including updates to the Competitions area.  (This area got caught up in political snags during the past year but we believe it is now on the right track.)

-Expansion of the BajaSAE.net site to include new stuff like what has have been suggested earlier in this thread.  Along with the forum, all this stuff will be referred to as the BajaSAE.net "community services".

-Updated set of Community Member Terms of Service which will more clearly outline our expectations related to content and conduct when using any of the Community Services.  (Nothing crazy, don't worry.)

-New BajaSAE.net home page featuring a Baja / Offroad / Racing news feed.  This is your community, and we want to give you the tools to reach out to it...  anyone with a community member account can submit Baja news items, links to other races, automotive or industry articles, and other relevant cool stuff.   We'll also feature a pane where you can promote your own BajaSAE-related events with a graphic, some text, and a link to a forum thread, your own site, etc.  (Submissions to the news and events pane will be quickly reviewed by the community moderators before being posted to the public.)  Baja team members will also be able to submit pictures of their car to be featured at the top of the BajaSAE.net homepage in rotation.

-A Baja Wiki is in the works.  You can use this area to publish information about any aspect of BajaSAE that you feel has value for other teams.  Unlike the forum, the Wiki is not a place for discussion as much as a more structured means of knowledge transfer.  More on this later.

-The "Baja Vault" is a public area where you can record your team's progress, competition attendance, placement, etc for each season, and even throw in a few pictures too.  We'll hold on to this stuff long after you've graduated, and your school's future Baja team (and others) can later discover and appreciate the legacy you built while on the team.

-The login system will need to be expanded to cover all of the above new services.  We're working hard to find a good way to do single sign-on for all of these different systems to make using all of them more convenient.  (This is lots of fun, and is currently what I'm stuck in, but given that it all needs to play along before we can roll out these services, it's the big deal at the moment.)

-There are also some neat team-management features that we have planned that should make keeping track of your team members and submissions much easier.  However that part is all just ink on the whiteboard at this point, so I'll be vague and leave it at that.

Keep the ideas coming.... we're listening and working for you guys.  

Thanks,
-Mike
johnpate01 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnpate01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 12:21am

Originally posted by MikeZ MikeZ wrote:

-A Baja Wiki is in the works.  You can use this area to publish information about any aspect of BajaSAE that you feel has value for other teams...

-The "Baja Vault" is a public area where you can record your team's progress, competition attendance, placement...

-There are also some neat team-management features that we have planned that should make keeping track of your team members and submissions much easier...

Thanks for the hard work.  I am especially excited about these things, personally.  These should be some really nice tools.

-John

Co-Captain, Team Tennessee 2008-2010
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 7:40am
The Wiki and Vault sould pretty cool. I'm excited for the changes, thanks for the hard work!
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
BajaSaeAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BajaSaeAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

So... Alabama '09 is looking pretty lonely in the "Competitons" section of the Forum. Any plans to add this year's competitions, or is the Competitions section going the way of the dodo bird?
The original plan was to add a subforum for each competition with organizers moderating their own subforum. But as Mike said, that got held up due to political issues. Once those were cleared up we settled on a generic catch-all competition subforum with another one for "unofficial" events so they get a little more exposure.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 9:59am

I'm new to the site so I apologize if its already being done, however would it be possible to have a calendar with all of the events. A simple monthly calender that holds information about formal and informal events. Make it possible for members to add events that they may hold. Whether it may be driver training, design review, endurance races etc. When an event is posted, make it a link to another page that provides additional information.

Just a thought
Erik
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

On a serious note a page with known vendors who are friendly with the Baja program and have good discounts would be a good section.  I know Fox has a decent discount at 25% and Douglas used to do 2-for-1's on their wheels but a good reference of who is supporting the program with cheap parts would be great.

What ever happened to this idea?

A spline cutting resource is needed by many teams, just to single out a certain item
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by johnpate01 johnpate01 wrote:

Originally posted by MikeZ MikeZ wrote:

-A Baja Wiki is in the works.  You can use this area to publish information about any aspect of BajaSAE that you feel has value for other teams...

-The "Baja Vault" is a public area where you can record your team's progress, competition attendance, placement...

-There are also some neat team-management features that we have planned that should make keeping track of your team members and submissions much easier...

Thanks for the hard work.  I am especially excited about these things, personally.  These should be some really nice tools.

Anybody try out the private team wiki that Minibuggy.net said they'd provide?
"SAE Baja Projects and Teams forum. If your school would like a dedicated private forum for your team, contact an MBN staff member."
RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 9:41pm
I suggest a small and simple addition to this forum, but an immensely practical one nevertheless.

Every post should have a number, which could be shown on the side. Big threads get cumbersome to reference. You could incorporate this into the code.

I follow the CR4 forums with my bread and butter every morning, and the more I participate in discussions there, the more I realize how simple and enjoyable a tool it is to learn, discuss and ask questions. The downfall of any website is complexity. I happen to be a popular blogger on the interweb but I don't stop there as everyday I'm asking myself how I can make my site easier for someone to navigate through, and use. Now I don't shun the value or skill of a website designer anymore.

-Ron George
Systems Engineer (Cummins Turbo)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 1:48pm
I completely agree with having numbered posts.  It really does make things way easier.

Also, I think the video library thread is a great place for people to find videos of other schools. However, with all the chatting and people posting random pictures, etc... , it has become somewhat difficult to browse.

I suggest adding a Video subforum.  This would allow each video to get the attention it deserves without getting lost in a sea of other videos or comments.  Members could comment and discuss the video without the clutter that the current Video Library thread has become.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 12:36am
Going along with joe's current post about new members, a few moderators made up of some active senior members would help keep the forum organized and clean
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

Going along with joe's current post about new members, a few moderators made up of some active senior members would help keep the forum organized and clean

Agreed.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2010 at 9:20pm
Search function. Can we get a google search box on the site? Even when I know exactly what the thread topic was when searching for it, nothing comes up in the curent search feature. I often go back to google to search the site from there.

For instance search for "3 tanks of argon later" and nothing comes up, but maybe its just me..
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2010 at 9:27pm
I have had no luck using the search function either.
mikez View Drop Down
Rules Reps
Rules Reps
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2010 at 9:31pm
Yes, search kinda blows.  I'm talking with the vendor about that one.   Maybe they can help us make it index better.  sry!
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2010 at 9:32pm
Thank you!
Jcad View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 9:15pm
How about a live chat section?
Jcad
WVU Tech
HMFIC
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2010 at 8:36am
An "online/offline" indicator under everyone's username.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic