Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Splash shield mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splash shield mounting
    Posted: Aug/29/2018 at 8:15am
Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the rule B.6.7 - Splash Shields. I've sent a rules question in bajasae.net, and an email to bajarules@sae.org, but I haven't received an answers yet (20 days ago). Is that normal?

Anyways, here is the problem, you may have an answer for it.

In that rule there is a phrase which reads: "The splash shield must be mounted lower than the structural member supporting the fuel tank.". Our prototype is build in way that this rule has become ambiguous, because our splash shield is not in one single plane. I'm attaching some images to illustrate it.
Our splash shield has a part that is above the plane of the structural member supporting the fuel tank, but the splash shield is mounted below the structural member, as seen in the pictures, the member doesn't go through the splash shield.
Also, the splash shield is achieving it's purpose: effectively isolating the engine and cockpit from the fuel tank and it has an inclination for the spilled fuel to run out of the vehicle.
http://https://imgur.com/a/oVcCQvV - https://imgur.com/a/oVcCQvV
(Couldn't attach them)
Do you think that this solution is within the rules?

Thank you.

Edited by Matheus - Aug/29/2018 at 8:30am
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 8:17am
With figure B-42 being included in the rule book directly below this rule, I would say that the entire shield needs to be below the fuel tank mounting member, ie when the vehicle is viewed from the side, the tank supporting member should be unobstructed by the splash shielding. the bolded phrase you have above does not just mean that the mounting point of the shield be below the member. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 8:18am
as a follow up, make sure you wait till around sept 10th before making a final decision. thats apparently when the 2019 rules come out, so it may either clarify, or completely change the rule. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Matheus View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 11:44am
I have also interpreted the rule that way, that the splash shield should be all below the supporting member, that's the core of my doubt. But analyzing the pourpose of the shield, I didn't understand why the rule would impose that and why my solution wouldn't be acceptable. 

Thank you so much for the tips, I'll wait for the new rules.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic