Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some assistance with CVT Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syndrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some assistance with CVT Cooling
    Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 2:39pm
Hello

Last year we used a CVT guard with a wire-frame mesh, which did ensure that our CVT was well ventilated + finger protection, but was incapable of preventing mud entry into the CVT guard. 

As a solution, we've designed a completely closed CVT guard with no vents for cooling. I am yet to run some DAQ regarding the temperatures reached inside the guard after long runs. In case cooling seems even slightly necessary, we'll go for it. I am learning CFD as of now but before we begin arranging it I need some insight/your opinions on optimization of the CVT cooling arrangement. 
We are thinking of adding a fan with an intake filter for the intake (optimal location for the cutout(s) yet to be found out) and some PVC exhaust vent on the tangential plate (again, optimal location yet to be found out) (I am not sure if adding a cutout for the intake pipe on the firewall and on the tangential periphery of the CVT guard be okay with the technical inspector). I was also thinking of directing the inlet pipe to the belt between straight portion of the belt b/w primary and the secondary (since the belt is straight and has grooves on it which are meant for cooling). 

Some suggestions/insights would be helpful.
Thank you in advance.

Regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic