Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion > Pit of Despair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Regarding calculation of Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avijit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regarding calculation of Brakes
    Posted: May/29/2014 at 5:10pm
Hi,
I do the brakes designing for our Mini Baja Vehicle. When I went through the calculations there was nothing like a rotor diameter mentioned anywhere but it looks like when you want to purchase a rotor from a standard company for your vehicle they expect only the "Braking Torqe"... What I would like to know is how is it that they're able to decide the rotor diameter with the help of just braking torque??

Please guys help me in this..
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 5:37pm
Avijit:

You decide rotor diameter, based on packaging: what will fit into your wheel.

Rotors are easy to make, we typically use medium carbon steel, laser cut and surface ground. Iron can provide better properties, but is more difficult to work with.
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
Avijit View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avijit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 5:42pm
Actually the main problem is that I am not able to decide as how to decide and what all calcations to do to determine the size of the brake rotor....I primarily need support in that
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 7:11pm
Why not run the biggest rotor you can stuff in your wheel? Its practically free braking force.
Avijit View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avijit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 7:42pm
If that's the case then what for calculations are done??? I want to proceed in a proper way with all the calculations and other stuffs
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 12:08am
Draw some FBDs of a baja during braking. That will allow you to find your required braking torque. To find the amount of torque you can produce, you'll need to select the components in your braking system and then calculate the clamping force on the brake disc as a function of the characteristics of your components, like piston diameters and pedal ratio. Once you know the clamping force, you can figure out what the disc diameter needs to be to produce sufficient braking torque.

All the math is fairly simple. You just need to think about it for a bit.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
vehicle dynamics View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master
Doesn't Understand Vehicle Dynamics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vehicle dynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2014 at 5:16am
What is more approximate to assume for calculations.?....pedal ratio or acceleration.??

Edited by vehicle dynamics - May/31/2014 at 5:20am
ADD View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2014 at 12:16am
pedal ratio
AD
ronakt View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 5:45am
I am new to this forum, we would be participating in baja sae 2017 and this time our plan is to mount inboard brakes. can anyone help me with those. I am not able to find enough resources on the interenet for the same.!!

sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2016 at 10:34pm
Yes.

But before that, why don't you try the search button in this forum?

If you still have questions after that, you can always post them here. 
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic