Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

processes involved in brake rotor manufacture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik Iyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: processes involved in brake rotor manufacture
    Posted: Jul/24/2015 at 8:59am
This year we are going to manufacture our own brake rotors. So I wanted to know if the way we are going to manufacture it is correct.we intend to use a stainless steel 4130 plate and use water jet to cut the plate to required dimensions and then surface grind the disc. Other than this do we have to harden the rotors or perform any other processes on it? Thanks for your help.

RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2015 at 10:15am
First I'll point out there is no such thing as 4130 Stainless steel. SO in order to answer your question I need to know if you are using Stainless steel (and what grade? 316? 440? etc..) or if you are using Chromoly 4130? 

water jet then surface grind is a good process for either material, the heat treatment process is what will change depending on material. 

Also if you can source a flat piece of raw stock, you may not have to surface grind, just deburr. this will save you a lot of time as surface grinding is a slow process if you need to take off a lot of material to make the piece flat. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2015 at 12:55pm
I agree with RLM on the manufacturing process. 
As you're from India, you're probably talking about either the 410/420 series of the stainless steel material (correct me if I'm wrong) which are easily available here. 
If you're planning on surface grinding them, you might want to look into it's magnetic properties. 
In addition to those processes i would suggest you to come with a way to prevent wear in the rotor (if you're using the stainless steel), preferably chrome plating.
There are plenty of threads already available here on this topic.  
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
kartik Iyer View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik Iyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2015 at 2:36am
The material is ss 410. Sorry it was a typo.
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik Iyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2015 at 2:41am
Now I have 2 questions , first is chrome plating necessary and second what heat treatment processwe would have to perform on ss 410 plate. Oh and thanks for your help.
FelixB View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FelixB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 11:01am
Chrome plated and/or hardened rotors??? does'nt seem like such a good idea
Felix Belanger
Université Laval
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik Iyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 1:28am
Hey, we are deciding to either anodize or nitride the brake discs. We have made the brake discs from en 36.which process would be better suited? Thanks for your help
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 8:37am
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
drvr5 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drvr5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 9:42pm
I'm with RLM on this one. No downsides other than cost.
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kartik Iyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2015 at 10:02pm
Thanks for the help guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic