URL: http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2652
Printed Date: Mar/28/2024 at 5:38am

Topic: Can we stop the spam????
Posted By: RLM
Subject: Can we stop the spam????
Date Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 8:26am
Hey Moderators, 

Is there a way to change the new member settings to either:

A) require approval to join the forum so you can ask a member request what school they are from and why they want to join the forum before approving them

Or

B) allow anyone to join, but not allow them to make a post for X amount of time?

Sick and tired of coming on here every couple days and seeing for sale ads for phones, tablets, computers and other random crap and see that the poster joined then posted minutes later and posted it multiple times (none of which are even in the correct sub-forum) 

Just trying to toss around ideas of how to curb this. if anyone else has other ideas, please chime in. lets not let this valuable learning platform go to sh*t. 

-------------
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.

Replies:
Posted By: sujandinesh
Date Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by RLM RLM wrote:

Hey Moderators, 

Is there a way to change the new member settings to either:

A) require approval to join the forum so you can ask a member request what school they are from and why they want to join the forum before approving them

Or

B) allow anyone to join, but not allow them to make a post for X amount of time?

Sick and tired of coming on here every couple days and seeing for sale ads for phones, tablets, computers and other random crap and see that the poster joined then posted minutes later and posted it multiple times (none of which are even in the correct sub-forum) 

Just trying to toss around ideas of how to curb this. if anyone else has other ideas, please chime in. lets not let this valuable learning platform go to sh*t. 
I agree with the highlighted statement. 

There is a popular Indian automotive forum which requires a new user to fill in an extensive joining application (which takes a minimum 30 mins to fill in) and later is reviewed by the moderators before approving/rejecting the application based on the responses. 

Such strict scrutiny will definitely put a stop to this. No spam guy would want to waste so much time to post something irrelevant in a BAJA forum. 

I also get the feeling that the mods aren't active much. Some of my reported posts are still out there. :/

-------------
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands

Posted By: adrive7
Date Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by RLM RLM wrote:

(none of which are even in the correct sub-forum) 

lol.

-------------
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com

Posted By: Brad SXT
Date Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 5:11pm
I don't see what the big deal is. I always come to this forum first when I'm looking for a totally legit new Iphone or Divorce Problem Solutions. 

Is there a report button or something?

-------------
UofL Baja Alumni
Midnight Mayhem track design
Sometimes Livestream Announcer Guy
Design judge every once in awhile

Posted By: sujandinesh
Date Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 3:35am
There is one to report the particular post but not the user. You can find it under "post options". 

-------------
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands

Posted By: RLM
Date Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 8:21am
have the forum moderators disappeared from the forum? anyone know a better way to report these posts and take them down, hell i'd do it if i had the ability to. really starting to get fed up with them.

-------------
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.

Posted By: Mod Squad
Date Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 6:44pm
Oopsie-daisy. The 'report post' notification is no longer making it into my inbox and I haven't visited in a while. I'll get that sorted out. In the meantime, keep reporting posts, they'll get to me once I fix the issue. 

Moderating new users would fix the issue, but would require a long-term dedicated moderator. 

I'll also check to see if the software has any new options for spam prevention. 

Posted By: Brad SXT
Date Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 2:14pm
Has the baja discussion moved somewhere else? Or is there just not a discussion anymore? Doesn't seem like the forum is utilized as much as it used to be

-------------
UofL Baja Alumni
Midnight Mayhem track design
Sometimes Livestream Announcer Guy
Design judge every once in awhile

Print Page | Close Window