Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primary Member: Firewall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krlindgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primary Member: Firewall
    Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 7:28pm
Hello, quick question. In regards to designing the frame, more specifically the firewall tubing. Can the sides and top of the firewall be all one piece of tubing with multiple bends? If you look at the key-points for the primary members in the rulebook, my question is: can one tube be welded on to the bottom member (AL to AR) and go through SL, BL, BR, and SR or will that break the rule of "Straight members may not extend longer than 1016 mm (40 in.) between Named Points or comply with Rule B.3.2.4 - Additional Support Members". 

Please let me know if I need to rephrase my question. Thank you
Derrick lr View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derrick lr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2020 at 8:37pm
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the answer you're looking for is in your post.  The rules, specifically B.3.2.1 like you quoted, state that the max length for straight members between named points is 40 in. and combining it with a sentence later in the same rule: "Small bend radii (<152 mm or 6 in.) that terminate at Named Points are expected, and are not considered to make a member bent, regardless of angle." should help to clear things up for you.  As long as the bend radius of the bend at each named point it passes through is under 6 in., then the bend effectively becomes that named point.  In short, the firewall can certainly be made out of only 2 sections of tubing, so long as you design the bends to be at the named points and use a small enough bend radii.  Refer to Figure B-8 of the rear roll hoop in the rules for a better idea of what I'm describing.  Is that what you were asking about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic