Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classifieds > Sale / Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polaris Ball Joint M12 54 deg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polaris Ball Joint M12 54 deg
    Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 9:49pm
Does anyone have an old (or) new one of these that they could send me. My team is talking about using them this year but wanted to have a look at one before we ordered and waited for the Polaris ones to come in. We would pay for shipping and whatever you feel is fair to charge for the joint . The joint does not need to be in perfect shape as long as I can still get an accurate measurement on the important surfaces. Thanks.
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
Pranav View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pranav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 8:11am
Is there a possibility that these ball joints may fail if they are loaded in compression than in tension as found in the ATVs? I mean if the attachment at the upright is similar a both the upper and lower A arms. With the head on top , shank at bottom . Are these ball joints designed to be loaded in compression as well? Anyone out there has experience employing them in the fashion I just described? If yes, what are the pitfalls, if any?
 < ="application/x-dap-" id="DAPPlugin" style="visibility: collapse">
Assumption is the mother of all shampoo ups!
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 3:48pm
That ball joint (the one from a Polaris Outlaw) that you can find in the "discount Polaris parts" catalog available to Baja teams can be disassembled if you press the stud into the cup. Its preferred loading direction is 'pulling' on the stud.

That being said, I have used these on an upper A-arm before with zero problems. Technically there isn't any axial loading on a non-shock mounted A-arm, but weird things can happen.  Usually they pop apart if you are getting smart with a hammer trying to install or uninstall them.

I may have a rough CAD of it floating around somewhere... The rotation center is fairly accurate, but was acquired using calipers, 1:1 drawings + light/shadow methods. Not quite CMM accurate....
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 4:35pm
We have two ball joints that I found in our shop that look like they might be Polaris sponsorship ones except they only seem to have only 40 deg of travel so I dont want to do any  solid designing based off them. They do however match your description otto and pictures that I have found online
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 4:36pm

uploads/846/polaris_ball_joint_2_inch_taper_per_foot.zip

try that out, rotation center coincident with the origin of the assembly and each part.

(solidworks files) I could make iges or step format if that's preferred.

the taper is 2 inches per foot

edits: the misalignment in one direction is 27 degrees (for a total of 54). the cup should have a zinc yellow chromate finish if I remember correctly.

Edited by otto - Sep/17/2013 at 4:41pm
cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 5:10pm
Awesome. Now I am almost sure that these are the Polaris joints. One of them has a slightly different diameter at the start of the taper but everything else is pretty close to what you have. I dident actually try and measure the misalignment myself so maybe the person that I had do it messed up abit. 

Thanks for the 3d file. luckily it looks pretty close to the one that I made up last weekend

John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
Pranav View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pranav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 12:47am
Thanks Otto. And is a tight pressfit held in place by a circlip what teams there employ with these ball joints? It's our first year without REIB,and our design guide doesn't seem to be happy when I said that's how teams do it. I've read through the forum,however when I am being asked to look for a more robust locking mechanism by our guide as he feels pressfits MIGHT not take up all that cycling of the suspension,I just want to make sure. Would appreciate if you throw more light on how you go about pressing the BJs in and holding them in place.
Pranav View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pranav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 12:49am
I am not asking you what tolerance you have to specify and all that.just tell me if I am missing out something important so that I dont mess up later on.
Pranav View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pranav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 1:09am
I am not asking you what tolerance you have to specify and all that.just tell me if I am missing out something important so that I dont mess up later on.
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 2:37am
A very light press fit works well (somewhere around 0.0005" interference). They are more tolerant to force-fitting compared to spherical bearings.

And yes, the groove in the cup is for a snap ring.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic