Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painted Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinstriper97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painted Numbers
    Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 3:18pm
Upon reading the rules, it declares that car numbers have to be raised a half inch above the panel they're displayed on. I understand that this is to help encourage contrast for readability, but I was wondering if it were legal to directly paint a body panel with a high contrast color scheme, rather than emboss the numbers. One of the color schemes that has been considered is white numbers on a dark blue body, with red outlines around the numbers.
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 4:11pm
As long as you paint the numbers on at least a 1/2" thick I don't see an issue with it.
UNLV Baja 2010-2015
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 4:31pm
If you directly paint on the body panels, then the numbers won't be raised and I doubt if it will satisfy the rule. The numbers need to be projected from a flat surface. 
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 4:09am
You will not pass Tech without raised numbers... Have them at least .5 inches above the body. Would recommend water jetted plasticSmile
toolmodel View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmodel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 10:47pm
Raised numbers are definitely a requirement.  Contrast is likely one reason but the larger is mud, the raised numbers allow for some mud to build up while still being readable.  

If it is a very muddy race, be ready to clean numbers in the middle of endurance to avoid being black flagged.
Pinstriper97 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinstriper97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 12:46pm
Thank you all, and thank you toolmodel, as I hadn't even considered the build-up of mud.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic