Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I got my job because of baja

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetaAlphaGamma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I got my job because of baja
    Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 9:48pm
I'd like to start a thread discussing everyone that got their job because of baja.
For starters: 

How many people currently on your team or that graduated in the past 3-5 years have gotten their job/internship/co-op because they did baja?

Hopkins has 4 right now.  2 graduated captains at Honda R&D, 1 other graduate, and I am interning at General Motors manufacturing this summer. (We have about 12 people on the team right now)

Let the world know that Baja is more than just a fun activity for engineers!

Edited by BetaAlphaGamma - Jan/21/2015 at 2:37pm

Hopkins Baja Design, Fabrication

Mechanical Engineering 2012

http://www.jhu.edu/baja/
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 10:05pm
At my interviews for both my summer internship and my current full time gig, all I talked about was Baja. It was the first line on my resume, and thus the first thing we talked about. After 30 minutes of talking about it I got a job offer.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 10:33pm
80% of our team's allumis are working at Ford CIFN (compact products development center for LatinAmerica-Africa-Asia and manufacturing facilities for Amazon platform  family. which is located in Bahia, Brazil)
They all were hired immediately after graduation. 
The Ford people come here every year at the university to interview them.

Former Team Captain
asims View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 12:09am
I'd say sometimes its hard to tell if you got hired specifically because of Baja (I'd like to think I have more to offer than just Baja), but I know it was basically all I talked about in my interview with John Deere, and I've had two internships with them, and am starting full time this summer.  We also have two alumni who interned with Deere, and one of them got a full time job out of it, and the other guy is working elsewhere now.  We've got about 4-5 underclassmen who are doing internships with various companies this summer.  There are also at least 4 seniors (including me) who have job offers already.

Edited by asims - Mar/30/2011 at 12:11am
Andrew Sims
University of Arizona
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 7:45am

Like others have stated, I can't say that I got my job specifically because of baja but it definitly was a big reason.  I know I got my internship/part time job because of baja and that gave me something else to talk about at my interiew and also netted me about 1 1/2 years experience in a manufacturing environment. 

As an entry level engineer with limited work experience (my school doesn't have a co-op program) baja was pretty much the only real world, usable experieince I could talk about.  I know a handful of people have talked at length about baja at their interviews and have all gotten hired (sometimes more than once) at various companies. 
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 8:15am
I got both of my co-ops at Instron and Raytheon through my experience with baja in one way or another. My resume is already sent out to my hopeful third co-op and their impressed with my hands on experience.

Baja teaches us so much practical knowledge as engineers and gives us something to talk about in an interview. From my experience talking about baja in an interview is head and shoulders above some kid going in talking about their heavy involvement in other clubs that meet once a week for pizza and occasionally have speakers come and talk to them about career choices.
Sarah View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 8:48am

Baja hasn't helped me with a job yet but lets hope my interview with Honda R&D next week goes well and we can say Baja helped a lot :)

University of South Carolina - Gamecock Baja 2011
johnfar109 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfar109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 9:36am
Baja was a Big help too me when i was looking for jobs. Having a diverse set of experiences from baja was huge when i was answering questions during my interviews. I can remember one occasion where i was asked during an interview of i had any experience with Y and i just pulled Y out of my portfolio and put it on the table and said yeah this was a Baja Project. you could tell that impressed the interviewers.

Now a few years in to the working world i get input in to hiring Co-ops. I will take a Baja/Formula person over the rest of the pool becouse i know waht type of people i will be getting from an SAE.

- John Farnach

RIT BAJA SAE

That Guy 04-09'

RIT 2010 Maneuverability Captain & Track Prep and Construction
RIT 2013, 2016, 2019 Electronic Scoring & Track Prep and Construction
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 10:22am
My  supervisor straight up told me that he picked my resume out of the stack of ~450 because of my involvement in SAE.  They were only considering local (mid Michigan and an occasional northern Ohio canidate) and I got a call and interview (from Nashville, TN) because baja was on my resume.

Other than that, my experience was similar to John's in that the interview process was easy having many many many stories, scenarios, and exposure to sevaral different things that "regular" students did not have.

Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Other than that, my experience was similar to John's in that the interview process was easy having many many many stories, scenarios, and exposure to sevaral different things that "regular" students did not have.

Absolutely right. From what I learned in my company's interviewing training, it is all about having experiences that you can talk about. We want to hear about situations, tasks, problems -- whatever responsibilities you were given -- and we want to know what your ACTION was. What did you DO? Your results from these projects are somewhat important, but the most important thing is how you work.

I generally won't be impressed by the candidate who tells me about a poster presentation they had to give, because everybody does that nowadays. Don't tell me about an exam you had to stay up all night to cram for. If all you do in college is take tests and do homework, you're not distinguishing yourself. OK, if you're in Tau Beta Pi then that deserves recognition, but you still need to prove that you can be a productive employee.

Baja gives students some awesome experiences that put them to the top part of the stack of resumes for any job. Your professors may not appreciate that, especially if you're show up for class wearing your greasy, metal shaving covered work clothes from the all-nighter you just pulled in the shop and proceed to sleep through the lecture on beam theory.

By the way, I know for a fact that I got my job because of Baja.

Edited by p.lewis - Mar/30/2011 at 12:19pm
University of Rochester Alum
snocrazly_baja View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snocrazly_baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2011 at 10:57pm
Well I am almost positive part of the reason I got my intership/co op with Polaris because of Baja and Clean Snowmobile.  Being a team leader of both and having a ton of design and hands on experience makes you stick out in the world of ME's and other students. 

Now I have offers from Evinrude, Ski Doo, Arctic Cat and Polaris, who could ask for more.  It is extremely exciting to know that all the hard work you put into the programs pays off in the end.

President, Project Manager, Media Relations
Clarkson University, Clean Snowmobile
Ex-MCC Baja Team Leader
ehunt View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2011 at 11:05pm
Without SAE on my resume I'm pretty sure Cummins would have never looked at my resume, I've heard multiple hiring managers since say they sort out all the resumes that have SAE or some other respected organization and only look at those. Once selected and making it through the HR screen interview many of the topics discussed later all related back to baja and I would have been sunk if I didn't have that experience.

Similar story for multiple others on our team.
Eric Hunt
Cornell Baja
08-09 Team Captain

Its not your aptitude but you attitude that determines your altitude.
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2011 at 10:28pm
I can say that my experience with Baja has given me the experience and leadership that I need to fill the full time position I have now. I loved everyday that I worked on Baja, and having a job that uses the skills I learned in Baja makes going to work everyday an enjoyable experience. That and working at Local Motors is a BLAST!
As far as the rest of our team, we have 4 of our team members working part time under my supervision (which was an easy transition for them since I was team captain).

I would not be where I am now in my life if it was not for Baja. End of story.

Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 3:30pm

Can't say baja lead to my career of designing environmental control systems on commercial airplanes.  But if I was a hiring manager; SAE experience would probably be the first filter I’d use to screen new hires.  Can only image this trend will take root as more former SAE students take leadership roles in companies.  Like a not so secret futurity.

paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2011 at 4:54pm
I regularly have companies call or email me with internship and job openings, asking me to forward them on to my SAE teams.  In many cases, they ask that I not distribute to the general ME student population, they are only interested in SAE experience.

Baja can be a life-changing experience.  It is certainly the defining collegiate experience for many alums.
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
blue2kss View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue2kss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2011 at 5:42pm

My branch head straight told me that the Baja and Formula experience is what made my resume stand out and the main reason I was hired.  He understood the importance of the work ethic and knowledge it required to maintain the GPA I did and campaign a serious team who put up great numbers.  When I get to the point of hiring in the future and am looking at fresh-outs SAE experience will be a top factor when I am perusing the resumes looking for candidates.  I can point out in one way or another every job and project that I have delivered on relates to my SAE experience in one way or another (usually mulitple ways). 

Dustin Bride
University of South Florida SAE Alumni/Consultant
Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development
RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 5:37pm
I'm logging in from Detroit, where I'm at the SAE World Congress. I don't know about getting a job, but I landed not one, but two separate interviews at today's career fair and the conversation starter was my design experience, both in Baja and in the past. Two companies pulled me aside and interviewed me on the spot. From my experience on the first day here, certainly a lot of automotive companies are very receptive to SAE experience. Its a winner!
-Ron George
Systems Engineer (Cummins Turbo)
AndyRIT View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyRIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2011 at 6:56pm
I never had a problem finding a Co-op while in school, baja was a main focus in my interviews, afterall a lot of experence came from the baja SAE program (management, design, marketing, etc the list goes on and on).  I had one co-op that was a blast in Nevada testing and designing Military trucks.  There have been two other baja team members that have co-oped there also after me.

I got a lot of design and fabrication expereince but I think the biggest thing that I picked up from my baja team is dealing with different types of people and personalities, management expereince and money management.

Took a while for me to find a job after graduating, afterall I did graduate at the low point in the economy.  Baja helped my get the testing/engine development position that I am at now, I talked about baja for a good chunk of the phone interview and I had a job offer later that day. Now I am in charge of several multi-million dollar engine development test cells and the people around them.

RIT Baja SAE Alumni 04'-09'
RIT Baja Team Manager 06'-08'
2010 RIT Track builder
2011 CAT/IL Comp Team Leader
2012 Wis vol
2013 RIT Track Builder
Diesel Calibration Engineer-Kohler Engines
Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 7:47pm
Mods, any chance of making this a sticky? I think it would be great motivation to those who are new to the forum or SAE, and are wondering if all of their hours in the shop are worth it in the end.

Also, as an update to my previous response, I have taken on new responsibilities, and I am now leading a volunteer race team (Strange concept huh), and have a full desert racing season ahead of me (all SCORE and HDRA races)

I wasn't in the car for the flip, but I drove the second lap, and brought her in across the finish line in one piece

Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic