Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help for Transmission Dog Clutch Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike-UPRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help for Transmission Dog Clutch Design
    Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 10:45am
Thanks jeiB. 

Since this thread is getting attention I will like to ask if someone has some advice for designing dog clutches. I am kind of lost as to what loads it sees. I know of bearing and shear but what about contact forces, etc.
Ermm

Edited by Mod Squad - Nov/01/2011 at 4:30pm
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 10:54am

First iteration gearbox & dog clutches, be careful bud, don't go too far over your head. They are relatively simple but I think you are asking for trouble for a first iteration.

Mike-UPRM View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike-UPRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 11:46am
Why do you think that? I know it is risky but having a reverse requires a dog clutch and the reverse proved to be really helpful in our last car

Edited by Mike-UPRM - Nov/01/2011 at 11:49am
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 3:05pm
Its just another component that can fail, create a lot of headaches and isn't required to go around the track. Maybe I'm just far too conservative on virgin components, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed either. Dog clutches and shifting mechanisms aren't the most complicated things in the world so I'm sure you can figure it out but just think about what percentage of the time reverse gets used and if its worth the headache and cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic