Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

READ BEFORE POSTING, OR ELSE...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: READ BEFORE POSTING, OR ELSE...
    Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 11:35pm

Due to the prodigious amount of subpar posts here recently, we’re instituting a new policy: Don’t follow the guidelines I lay out? Your thread gets locked. Post crap in an existing thread? We’ll move it to a new thread and lock it. If you keep at it, you’ll be banned. If this policy doesn’t help, we’ll come up with stricter countermeasures. 

Rule # 12 - THIS FORUM IS NOT HERE TO SPOON-FEED YOU!

What is spoon-feeding? Per Merriam-Webster: to present (information) so completely as to preclude independent thought <spoon–feed material to students>

Here are some examples: http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/to-verify_topic1389.html

The second post points out his question could be answered by a simple Google search.
Also, this forum is Americas-centric. There isn’t a problem with asking questions specific to other Baja SAE competitions (India, S. Africa, Korea, etc), but realize this forum is predominantly American.

Example 2: http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/briggs-and-stratton-new-baja-engine_topic1394.html

First, it was posted in the design discussion. The File Depot is the proper subforum for CAD models.
Second, and more importantly, there are two threads that have asked the same thing. SEARCH before posting.
Also, a 5 second Google search would have answered this question

Example 3: http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/transmisson_topic1388.html

This one is a real winner! (That is a sarcastic comment) Asking for spoon feeding. Terribly vague question. Already another thread asking the same thing. Trifecta of terrible.

Mod Squad 06-24-2013
-------------

Hi There,

If you are reading this you are new to the forum. First off, welcome! There are a lot of knowledgeable team members, and alumni on this forum as well as a few advisors and even some sponsor representatives. The folks from SAE are even getting in on the action. If you have a question about something, it can probably get answered here.

All of that said, there are a few guidelines to follow when posting here (and on any forum, really)

1. Play nice. Seems pretty reasonable, but sometimes things get heated. Nobody likes a Troll.

2. The search button is your friend. When considering asking a question about something, head over to the search tool first. Type in some keywords and see what you get. The forum has gotten established to the point now where there are topics on a lot of stuff. If you find a topic related to what you are looking for, post there. It doesn't matter if the topic is 2 years old, it will float to the top once you post.

3. The search button is your friend.

4. Have a descriptive thread title. Searching becomes much easier when a glance at the title gives you a good idea of what the topic is about.
5. Post in the right category. If your search comes up empty, feel free to start a new topic. However, please make sure you post in the right category. The forum is broken up into a few. Questions about a specific event should go in one of the two event categories, design questions should go in that category, etc. Random stuff should go in the Lounge.

6. Post ONCE. Please don't start multiple topics regarding the exact same question. This just clogs up the forum with extra threads.

7. No gifs in signatures. They're distracting and don't contribute to the forum. If you MUST have a picture in your signature, keep it small.

8. Use correct grammar and capitalization. Try and make your post readable. You don't need to go overboard, but it is hard to take "you guyz, i have a question for u" seriously.

9. If you are posting a link, use the hyperlink button to actually make it a link.

10. If you are posting a YouTube/Facebook video, use the filmstrip button to embed the video in the post. Here's a more detailed explanation.

11. Head over to your profile and setup your signature to include your name/school/team status, i.e. if you're an alumni. It's nice to know what teams people are from.

12. NO SPOON-FEEDING

Edited by Mod Squad - Jun/24/2013 at 1:01pm
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 12:28am
Please make this a sticky thread.
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2010 at 3:03pm

Rules 2 and 3... just like Fight Club!

I offer a suggestion that is really just a quirk of mine, but I like to be able to tell who/what team users are from as well as if they're current or alumni baja-ers... Most of us have that information in our signatures.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Rules 2 and 3... just like Fight Club!

I offer a suggestion that is really just a quirk of mine, but I like to be able to tell who/what team users are from as well as if they're current or alumni baja-ers... Most of us have that information in our signatures.

Good Idea... but it belongs in the suggestions thread Tongue
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 9:01am
I thought it's more of a user suggestion than a forum suggestion...
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 9:25am
Oh, I can see that. I'll add it to the list.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:06am

I think rule number 1 is very important here. And if somebody isn't being nice...

Edited by p.lewis - Mar/09/2011 at 10:08am
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 9:12am
I got a PM yesderday from a new user... he asked me for help, which I am more than willing to give, but people... you gotta help yourself!  Do some research and think for yourself.  This is an engineering design competition.  When you graduate and get a job, this crap won't fly:

Dear Sir,

My name is Raahil Dcruz and I am participating in the SAE India Baja 2012

I am a second year mechanical engineering student and this is the first time my college, Vishwakarma Institute Of Information Technology, Pune, Maharashtra, India is taking part.

However we do not have any experience or available advice to guide us regarding what to do.

As of now all we have done is registered for the event and allotted the various departments. I'm working in the wheels & brakes dept.

I'm requesting you to please give me some help and guidance regarding how to go about things literally from scratch in a step-by-step manner.

Thankyou and looking forward to hearing from you.

Raahil Dcruz

This forum is NOT the place for people to design your car for you.  Think of it like your professor's office.  You don't go in there asking for help on your homework before you ATLEAST have the problem statement written down and a couple equations and some work scratched down...

Edited by collinskl1 - Apr/05/2011 at 9:13am
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 10:48am
Wonder why you were the lucky one they sought out? Clap
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 10:55am

I got a PM yesderday from a new user... he asked me for help, which I am more than willing to give, but people... you gotta help yourself!  Do some research and think for yourself.  This is an engineering design competition.  When you graduate and get a job, this crap won't fly:

Dear Sir,

My name is Raahil Dcruz and I am participating in the SAE India Baja 2012

I am a second year mechanical engineering student and this is the first time my college, Vishwakarma Institute Of Information Technology, Pune, Maharashtra, India is taking part.

However we do not have any experience or available advice to guide us regarding what to do.

As of now all we have done is registered for the event and allotted the various departments. I'm working in the wheels & brakes dept.

I'm requesting you to please give me some help and guidance regarding how to go about things literally from scratch in a step-by-step manner.

Thankyou and looking forward to hearing from you.

Raahil Dcruz

This forum is NOT the place for people to design your car for you.  Think of it like your professor's office.  You don't go in there asking for help on your homework before you ATLEAST have the problem statement written down and a couple equations and some work scratched down...

This forum is full of threads of "available advice".
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 11:49am
I got the exact same message.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 2:52pm
I mean really, there is nobody on this forum that is not willing to help.  Baja is not for just building hopped up go carts... it's a learning experience and I won't do your learning for you.  I already fought, cussed, bled, cried, and lost sleep over my brakes.  Until you do the same you won't be gaining anything from the project.
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

blue2kss View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue2kss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 4:20pm
I was getting one of those a week for almost 2 months.  They stopped coming in two weeks ago or so and thankfully for them I didnt get this one.  I let them have it something fierce and I enjoy writing my replies. 
Dustin Bride
University of South Florida SAE Alumni/Consultant
Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 1:05pm

The vast majority of posts originating from IP addresses in India violate the forum guidelines (as laid out in the first post). Please peruse the guidelines, especially if you are posting from India.

Akash Karekar View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akash Karekar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 3:16pm
I have always wanted to write on this forum, and probably a good idea to start with this. First off, I am from India, and have been reading both FSAE and Baja forums for over a year now.
I am fully aware of the grammar, the informal, text- like language (or jungle drums! )that is used by Indians on these forums. I can only wonder how a native- english speaker feels about such posts. This is my observation, and only my opinion regarding the cause for this:

a) English is not the first language! None of them, atleast very few speak english at home. Hence it is probably understandable that the sentences may not be gramatically correct.

b) Quality of engineering colleges, or schools as you call it is very poor. Of course, there are some very good colleges in the country, most of them aren't. Hence they end up asking extremely silly questions, which of course is genuine in their view.

c) And the main reason in my view is last moment preparation. I for one, belong to a college with many SAE CDS teams and know that designing a car does not happen over night. This year, there will be 327 teams participating in the Indian event. Thats an increase of about 50 teams from last year. Baja scenes in India has reached a cult status and every small and big engineering college in India wants to compete in it, for the pride as well as the prize money(much more than in US, mind you). It is these new teams that often post the annoying questions on the forum. Most of these new-timers start the designing without much reading, and start about a month before the event. End result: go to forums, do no searching of their own, read no guidlines, and post the question, and of course annoy the moderators.

I have no solutions, but just my view on the topic. With the Virtual qualifier round in about a month, more such posts are on their way.

Brace yourself moderators, them jungle drums are coming!

P.S. To any Indian team reading this, there is a wealth of information on the forum. Use the search button and read the guidlines! No one is going to spoon feed you.
This went longer than I expected, should probably stop here. Thanks.
RVCE Baja,
2011-2014
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 4:32pm
327 teams? Shocked sounds like its a real free for all over there?  Must not have very restrictive rules?
Iowa State Tech Director 2013-2014
Iowa State Project Director 2012-2013
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 8:48pm
That or about 3.8 times the population of the US and I assume only one competition to go to. 327 teams at one event sounds like a logistical nightmare.

As another suggestion, although this may create more problems than it solves, maybe creating an "Indians Only" section of the forum would be good for questions relating specifically to the Indian competition. That would keep those threads which none of us have answers to from getting mixed in with everything else and make it easier for both parties.

Keep in mind I am not suggesting segregating the forums, I am just proposing a dedicated space for Indian specific questions.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? A similar one could be created for questions specific to the Brazilian rule set as well.

Hope I didn't start something here...
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akash Karekar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 10:52pm
Not all the teams get to build the car! Around 100 teams get selected after teams presents the design in the 'virtual round'. Pretty much the same number as in the US events. Rules are almost the same as International rule book, it is an SAE event after all.
@purdue There is a thread in FSAE forums called Indian teams. A seperate team could be created, but only to discuss availabilty of spares, buying and selling within India etc. Design discussions however cannot be segregated.
RVCE Baja,
2011-2014
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 6:35pm
Not sure an Indian subforum would be appropriate as most of the problems come from non-Indian specific threads. They're using the Model 20 now, so that rules out the only major difference between the two series.  

Akash, I notice there is a forum link on http://bajasaeindia.org/, but it doesn't go anywhere. Did the forum recently die?
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akash Karekar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 1:06am
Was never alive as far as I recollect, not for the past 2 years anyway.
RVCE Baja,
2011-2014
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 7:36am
A couple of years ago, a wave of requests for "spoon feeding" began to flood the group of Brazilian teams. What i did (was still a member of my team) was create a library of basic content for beginner teams on our website.

ufpbaja.com.br/categoria/materialdeapoio

I think it would be interesting if the Indian teams create something like this.
Former Team Captain
ManojR View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManojR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 6:33am
Hey everyone,
The search button is not working :/

Team crescar
FredC View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 10:14am
Yes it is...
taukea View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taukea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 11:46am
Iowa State Tech Director 2013-2014
Iowa State Project Director 2012-2013
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2013 at 9:09pm
Hmm didn't know they were using the model 20 now. Maybe we could create a "spoon feed me now" section and anything of that nature could be sent there if it gets posted elsewhere

It would be like a forum purgatory, in between an open and a closed thread, whom only brave souls with lots of patience would venture on to answer questions.

I'm only half serious here but still it would be funny to see all the posts in one area.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 7:49am
An FAQ could be beneficial... like a baja primer that answers common questions?
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 1:52pm
If someone makes a FAQ, I'll sitcky it.

In other news, my reaction on logging in just now after a long weekend:

Edited by Mod Squad - Jul/08/2013 at 1:58pm
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 2:13pm
I can do it, not sure when, but i can.
Former Team Captain
Rollie View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 3:00pm
These spoon feeding requests are getting out of hand....

Zac Watts
2013-2015 Kettering University
2016-* KU Industry Advisor
Team Captain
Design Engineer at Pratt & Miller Engineering
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Purduebaja Purduebaja wrote:

Hmm didn't know they were using the model 20 now. Maybe we could create a "spoon feed me now" section and anything of that nature could be sent there if it gets posted elsewhere

It would be like a forum purgatory, in between an open and a closed thread, whom only brave souls with lots of patience would venture on to answer questions.

I'm only half serious here but still it would be funny to see all the posts in one area.
This could be like a wall of shame, but rather a pit where violators are thrown into.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Pedro UFPBaja Pedro UFPBaja wrote:

How about sending a PM out to some of the gurus here and we put together a collaborative google doc or something that is shared so we cover as much as possible before "publishing" it to the forum?
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Tony Rivera View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by Pedro UFPBaja Pedro UFPBaja wrote:

How about sending a PM out to some of the gurus here and we put together a collaborative google doc or something that is shared so we cover as much as possible before "publishing" it to the forum?

I really like the sounds of this.

On a somewhat related topic, are any of you familiar with how the Pirate4x4.com guys have done  the Toyota FAQ?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/775780-toyota-bible-faq-2-0-a.html

this FAQ has links on all of the FAQ's to existing threads that will more than likely answer the noob questions, along with the occasional chart or DXF that may help along the way. It is also listed in alphabetical order.
Tony Rivera

Arizona State University
Team Captain 2009-2010

Local Motors Vehicle Systems Engineer
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 8:11am
That Toyota FAQ is exactly what I was thinking about when I suggested it...
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 12:16pm
first step is make a list of topics to be covered
Former Team Captain
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 1:22pm
1. Read these books and linkies to get a general idea
2. How to stick metal together and design to accomodate
3. Available wheel & tire size & bolt patterns
4. Typical Shock choices
5. Typical ways of connecting the suspensions bits to the frame bit (rodends, Balljoints, sphericals, bushings, OEM.)
6. Available Axles
7. Available Brakes
8. How to make the idiot fit <<< meh
9. How to sharpen Drill bits <<< teach the noob how to fish, not how to eat
10. Tolerances & fitments <<<<<< very important
11. Gearbox wiki
12. Steering considerations
13. SUPPLIERS
14. Have absolute trust in your teammates <<< Key to happy team
15. How to convince your parents what you are doing is worth it
16. When to adopt, when to manufacture

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2013 at 2:12pm
- Links to good threads on basic topics like the CVT thread, what to take to the race, 

- A guide to first year teams - Keep It Simple Stupid
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2013 at 5:37am
-Basic Infrastructure to designing and building a baja
-Basic list of softwares of CAD/CAE with starting tutorials for dummies
-CVT tuning wiki
-How to make benchmarking
-How to list goals
-Decision matrix template por dummies
-how to chart team

Former Team Captain
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 11:42am
Things aren't getting any better. The onslaught continues.
1,300,000,000 is a lot of people... The majority of spam posts are now from India too.

The Spoonfeeding subforum isn't a bad idea. It still clogs up the search function as those threads are indexed.

A zero-tolerance policy could be enacted. "You spoonfeed and you are banned and bad posts deleted"

An IP ban of India is the nuclear option. There are technical issues that come with that (IP ranges move around. It blocks the few good members we have from India, etc)

Thoughts, more suggestions?
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 3:19pm
Maybe new threads can not be created by users for the first month of their join date without being approved first by a MOD? Would prevent a lot of new users expecting a quick answer to their spoonfeeding questions.
cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 11:04pm
nice idea joey. That would hopefully encourage people to look around first and try to find their answer and probably have it by the time the month is up.
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 2:23pm

Is this still going to happen? If so I would like to be involved.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akash Karekar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 11:35pm
I agree with Joey. Seems like a good idea to me. However though, people who have been more than a month on this forum can still post stupid questions/ replies, of which I may be guilty myself.

Here's another possible solution, and I don't intend to stir up a controversy. How about appointing a moderator from India? All you need to do is find a sane person who spends a lot of time online, and is passionate about Baja. Finding such a person won't be a problem according to me < insert population related joke here>. But seriously, consider it. He could moderate the page such that all stupid questions are deleted even before anyone reads it, and edit good questions and put it in a better form.

You could also find people willing to be moderators from other parts of the globe, but something tells me that if someone from India starts doing a good job, it will give you more peace of mind.
My 1/50.
RVCE Baja,
2011-2014
steerman View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2014 at 1:40am
Guys I know things get out of hand, but please just tend to ignore the novice teams, after all we are only in our 8th year. We'll too someday have hardcore teams like yours.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2014 at 10:13am
8 years is plenty of time to not be a "novice" anymore... All you have to do is compare the development of the SAE India teams to the SAE Brazilian teams
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2014 at 7:14pm
Engage Pit of Despair...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic