Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > Non-sanctioned Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List of Non-sanctioned Baja Races

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of Non-sanctioned Baja Races
    Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 1:30pm
In no particular order, the following is a list of races and test days for Baja SAE that are organized by various teams:
  • Millican Stampede -- fall race organized by students from Oregon State University  [TBD]
  • Midnight Mayhem -- fall night race hosted by University of Louisville [October 4, 2015]
  • Dayton Invitational -- fall race hosted by University of Dayton [TBD]
  • Backwoods Baja -- fall race hosted by UW-Stout [October 17, 2015]
  • Auburn Invitational -- fall test&tune/driving day hosted by Auburn and NCAT [October 17-18 2015]
  • Arizona Race in the Desert -- location in AZ TBD,  [Mid-Late October, 2015]
  • NIU Hosted Event -- ??!!, held at Rockford, IL at Rocky Glen OHV  [TBD]
  • The Big Nasty Baja 2013 - 4 hour endurance race hosted at Big Nasty Baja ATV Park in Bloomingdale, GA [TBD]
  • Epreuve du Nord -- winter race hosted by Université Laval [February 6-7, 2015]
  • Michigan Tech. University Winter Baja -- in Houghton, MI [February 21, 2015]

I know that sometimes these events don't happen, but I've listed them all for the sake of completeness. PM me or add a reply to this thread if you have a race or test day to add to the list.

Edited by Mod Squad - Sep/09/2015 at 4:49pm
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 11:10pm
That's all the ones I know of.  
Bi-Brow View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-Brow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 1:53pm
Dayton happens every other year and was held last October.  We are considering teaming up with the Dayton Section to pull resources for this years Midnight Mayhem since this will be their off year.

Cummins XPI Pump Development Engineer
2012 Midnight Mayhem Coordinator
2008-2010 UofL Baja Captain
2011 Powertrain
pjones View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Lead Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 10:31am
We really shouldn't call it the "Auburn Invitational".  It isn't a race, and we don't record results.  What it is is a weekend of free track use.  Come on down (or up, if you're USF) and use our Endurance course for testing and training.  Get together with the other teams.  We'll do it again in 2010, probably October.

BTW, if you're a Baja team and want to run on the course some other time, you're usually welcome.  just contact me and we'll set it up.

Peter Jones
Organizer, Baja SAE Auburn 2012
jonesp1@auburn.edu
Waffles View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 10:50am
which begs the question, would it be fun to start recording results from the non-sanctioned races?  Maybe you could have classes, like stock Briggs, stock Briggs with throttle connected to carb (no gov), and unlimited Briggs
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 5:15pm
I've always thought an unlimited Briggs class would be sweet. A "hot engine" competition was proposed once, too. Just run them on a dyno at comp to see who can pull the most power.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
johnpate01 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnpate01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 6:51pm
That would be really neat to participate in once.  When I think of "Unlimited Briggs," the first thing that comes to mind is running a big V-Twin.  I know they have some pretty big horizontal shaft models. 

Either that or a Hatz diesel.  Oh the fun that could be had...
-John

Co-Captain, Team Tennessee 2008-2010
MTomasko2011 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTomasko2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 11:57am
Hey guys! Sorry if im stealing the thread, but up here at Ohio Northern we're looking into the possibility of holding an invitational at some point either next year or the year after.  I know there's quite a few invitationals in the fall, so I was wondering if you guys think one more in the fall would be too many?  Or would there be more interest sometime in the spring as a way to take a break from tough build schedules? Just trying to gauge interest and get a feeling for when would work best for everyone. Let me know what you guys think!
Ohio Northern University
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 3:26pm
On the years that Dayton holds their invitational, Northern Ohio's + Midnight Mayhem would make three races all in the same general region and the same general time of year.

Sounds a bit crowded to me. I would rather have one invitational with 30+ cars than 3 races with 10 cars a piece.
MTomasko2011 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTomasko2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 5:26pm
Would a spring race be more appealing? Or is that too close to comp. time
Ohio Northern University
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 1:25pm
Bump... and I'm updating the list.
University of Rochester Alum
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2011 at 1:29pm
Thought this was a sticky. Well, now it is.

Looks like the only events left this fall are the AU invitational on Oct 8th and Backwoods Baja on Oct. 15th. Boo.
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2011 at 2:44pm
Good call on the sticky. I edited the races to show which ones aren't scheduled this year or were cancelled.
University of Rochester Alum
Minnesota View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minnesota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 12:59pm
Backwoods baja will be on October 15th, 2011.  If you are interested in joining us for this race, send me an email at lydeenm@my.uwstout.edu
rasinowichc View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasinowichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 8:10pm
Backwoods Baja, Hosted by UW-Stout is Oct. 26th 2013.
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2013 at 2:54pm
Added NIU event and The Big Nasty Baja 2013 to the list.
cujdubs View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cujdubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2013 at 3:08pm
Any details yet on if there will be an Epreuve du Nord in February? We want to try and make it up there for it this year. It always looks like a ton of fun.
John Hannum
Clarkson University
Steering Leader
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2013 at 4:22pm
There will, invitation should come anytime soon with contacts and everything...
It will be on Feb 14-15
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
pj_rohlf12 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pj_rohlf12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 3:58pm
It isn't finalized right now but for backwoods baja hosed by UW-Stout, a date will most likely be October 18, 2014.
sterl2dl View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterl2dl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 12:08pm
Any word on whether Midnight mayhem will be happening this year?
AlexM View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 12:52pm
I'm pretty certain it will be happening. I dont think the Louisville guys would give it up!

I think they said it will be at a different location this time and not at Podium 1. I'm sure one of the Brads will confirm this.
Alex Marotta
Team Captain 2012-2014
McGill Baja Racing 2011-2014
baja.mcgilleus.ca
Brad SXT View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad SXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2014 at 9:15am
We are planning on making Midnight Mayhem happen again this year. Like past years, it will be the last weekend of September or the first of October.

Podium one is closed according to the website http://www.podium1motoplex.com/ so we're going to have to have the race somewhere else. We really want to maintain the same atmosphere with the new venue and especially still have camping at the site. 

UofL Baja Alumni
Midnight Mayhem track design
Sometimes Livestream Announcer Guy
Design judge every once in awhile
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 1:41pm
Updated the calendar. Hyperlinks to threads in the date.
pj_rohlf12 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pj_rohlf12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 3:40pm
If any teams are interested in attending Backwoods Baja at UW-Stout send an email to baja@uwstout.edu and we can get you the information on it.
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2015 at 11:04pm
Bump to update OP dates

Midnight Mayhem - Louisville 10/3
Backwoods Baja - Stout 10/17
Iowa State University Cyclone Racing 2013 - 2016
Tech Director, DAQ, Media, Manufacturing, Radios
2016 - S&T, Maneuv, & Endurance Driver
"Because BAJA" "Because RACECAR"
Aztec Warrior View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 1:52pm
We got to get something like this going on the west coast.
"To finish first, you must first finish"

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
McMillin Racing 2005-present
drvr5 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drvr5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2015 at 10:08pm
Duel in the Desert! Last year we had a dozen cars show up, and it's nice not having to clean mud off the car after a race.
Aztec Warrior View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztec Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2015 at 1:46am
Yea, actually tried to make that. It didn't work with our schedule last year . Hopefully will this year. Can we bring a car with a hot motor?
"To finish first, you must first finish"

SDSU Baja 2010 and 2014
McMillin Racing 2005-present
drvr5 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drvr5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 12:41am
Tony organizes the event, so the final decision would rest with him, but I'm certain there wouldn't be a problem with that in your case. The extra power you will make with your mods won't make the car unsafe as long as you are driving with respect for the other cars, which is a given in an unsanctioned race.   You obviously won't be entitled to bragging rights, but I'd bet money the car will be a a lot more fun to drive, and that's the main goal!
FelixB View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FelixB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2015 at 4:06pm
I was bored and looking for a competition near us so I made a map :P Please tell me if an event is missing
Felix Belanger
Université Laval
mathieu_st-amant View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathieu_st-amant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 1:16pm
Hey Baja lovers!

Go check your mails to register to the 11th Epreuve Du Nord edition next February 5 and 6!

If you didn't receive the invitation yet, you can also register your team on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/epreuvedunord/!

All team are welcome to compete!

For more information, please contact us at president@epreuvedunord.ca

See you on the icy track!
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 1:11am
Any word on Backwoods Baja or Midnight Mayhem?
Iowa State University Cyclone Racing 2013 - 2016
Tech Director, DAQ, Media, Manufacturing, Radios
2016 - S&T, Maneuv, & Endurance Driver
"Because BAJA" "Because RACECAR"
Brad SXT View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad SXT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2016 at 4:54pm
Midnight Mayhem is Oct 1st this year.

There are currently 88 registered cars.
UofL Baja Alumni
Midnight Mayhem track design
Sometimes Livestream Announcer Guy
Design judge every once in awhile
6710ollhofb View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6710ollhofb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2016 at 5:43pm
Any word on Backwoods Baja 2016?
deadeye View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 1:55pm
Anyone know if high schools can participate in these events.
FussyMonkey View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FussyMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2019 at 12:42pm
Does anyone know if any of these unsanctioned events are still going on?  I only know of Midnight Mayhem.
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2019 at 9:55am
Epreuve du Nord is still running
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic