Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

registration problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enaracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: registration problems
    Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 12:32pm

Hi,

Wandering...

Are we the only ones who had troubles with this year registration.

In fact we were logued in at 9h30 and then unable to go trought registration, the system freeze on us while registering. We then went the old fashion way with a phone call, and the lady at SAE was unable to register us before every spot were taken. 

We are now on the waiting list for California when we hopeted to go to Illinois.

Angry

RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 1:13pm
Welcome to the current state of Baja SAE. Its been similar for the past couple years. every year it fills up faster and faster as more teams emerge and interest from international teams rises. you need to have multiple computers with multiple people all trying in order to possibly get a confirmed spot at the comp you want. also recomend a hardline connection vs Wi-Fi as it is faster. hopefully in the future, they do something to mitigate this problem that has been growing over the past couple years. My personal suggestions are :
1) introduce a 4th competition
2) only open registration for North American Teams on the first day, then open any remaining spots internationally for the day after. since these competitions are geared more for the North american teams, and the international Baja hot spots (india/middle east, brazil/south america) have their own respective competitions, I do not think this would be unfair. it would enable more american teams to compete as most teams do not have the funds to send their car overseas so that they can compete. 
3) I hate to say it, but maybe limit teams to registering for a max of 2 competitions on the first day, then open any additional spots to teams to register for a third comp, on the second day.  

again these are just my thoughts and I know may will not agree with them but whatever. freedom.

Hope you get into california and can find the funds to get there. best of luck.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 4:28pm
Now, this is interesting.

I have always wondered about these problems and why no one complains about it but I guess I was wrong. 
This situation reminds me something similar to what happened at BAJA SAEINDIA a couple of years ago and that is when they decided to introduce the Virtual Round. It might have started off with issues in the start but one can say it has now reached a mature level. 
Any team's chances of racing or building an ATV involves a lot of learning and this should just not be taken off because they weren't able to register due to some sloppy internet connection or server issues or because they were too slow to register. 
Only the team's ability to design, build and race should justify their spot in the event and this can only be made possible if there is some kind of a selection criteria in the start. 
Not like a Virtual round (maybe) but in similar lines with the Rules Quiz that happens at FSG every year. 

But I take that this might not be feasible, so these are some other options (Just my views on RLM's):
1) Introduce another competition: Well, this will have similar effects as the first three. Teams would wanna do all events considering the fact that a lot of teams participate in unsanctioned BAJA events. 
The fourth competition will also experience the same turnout unless some spots are frozen. 

2) Open registration just for NA teams initially and then internationally: Well, doing this will result in no international teams. The spots are generally taken within a couple of minutes and checking the stats from this year's registration, all 300 spots can be filled up by NA teams. 
But doing this is actually not unfair, after all it's a competition for the NA teams and everyone from NA deserves a chance to participate in it. 
But there's a reason why that happens. NA competitions has teams which are best in the world and that is the SOLE reason why we see the number of international teams in these competition rising. The other teams want to compete with the best. Preventing them from doing that is just sad. 

3) Limiting teams to register to more than two events might be one solution to allow other teams to register at the third. 

But picking up from the second point, it is quite known by everyone that the NA teams are the best and generally stand out to be better than other teams from other countries (exceptions are not examples). 
Now though BAJA SAE US series is an international event and open for everyone, it might not ensure the competition between the best. To ensure this happens, how about introducing a further level of competition, maybe like the next final round which is for only the top teams from each of these international events? The top 10 for example from each event would automatically qualify and would participate in this next round and the winner takes 'em all! 

This would be one heck of a competition and would also solve the problem of international teams wanting to participate in the regular BAJA SAE US events. 

Now, again, these are just my thoughts and I would want to know what others here feel! 

RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic