Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandeepvarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: material
    Posted: Oct/01/2016 at 1:21pm
Can we Use Spherodized graphite iron(Ductile iron) for the rotor material?

It has better properties than cast iron. Carbon content 3% (approx.) So that increases its strength. And high melting temp.

Is there any way to find out the relation b/w coefficient of friction of material and the pad?

Hence, this will help in rotor and pad compatibility?
sujandinesh View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sujandinesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2016 at 9:09pm
Yes! You definitely can! 

The Spherodized graphite iron might be better than cast iron, but why benchmark against just cast iron? There are a lot of other materials out there which offer way more better properties than cast iron like wear and hardness! 
Considering the top speed in a BAJA car, you need not actually worry much about the melting point at all. 

The only way to determine the adhesion coefficient between your pad and rotor is to conduct a few performance tests and arrive at a value. 

Now, coming to compatibility, most of the pads are sintered metallic and offer decent compatibility against a wide range of rotor materials with varying wear properties, but considering the number of miles you will put on in your BAJA car, I wouldn't worry much about their performance as long as they are compatible. 
RVCE BAJA: 2011-2015
General Motors: 2015-2016
Tyre Testing - University Racing Eindhoven: 2016-2017
Tyre Dynamics - TASS International: 2017-2018

Tyre Engineer - Apollo Vredestein
The Netherlands
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2016 at 8:30am
In the future, may I ask that you use a much more descriptive title for your thread. 

that said, you can use any material you want for rotors. when I was designing some a cople years ago I looked at some high performance gp bike rotors and high performance mountain bike rotors. I wont tell you what material we ended up using as that is a product of months of research and testing, but we lookes at everyting from cat iron, through aluminum, all the way to carbon ceramics. 

best of luck. in baja, anything is possible.

McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic