Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adequate Weld Samples?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elpwnage20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adequate Weld Samples?
    Posted: May/06/2015 at 10:31pm
So we got our weld samples from our outside welder today and found out that they mixed both the primary and secondary tubing in one joint! We weren't sure weather we needed both primary and secondary samples so we made both but the 30 degree samples were mixed together. Do we need to provide samples of both primary and secondary? How about primary onto secondary?

Anyways, to break the 90 degree sample, we put one end in an anvil and took a sledge hammer to the other end and basically bend it over till it broke. I just read about teams using a long ass lever arm and I wish I thought about that sooner. But either way, would these welds pass?

Here is the album:
http://imgur.com/a/RfTy5

i6overboard View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 12:38am
I would say no

Both should be primary material for the 30 degree joint, also should try to control the heat better, 65-70amps should be all you need MAX.. No samples for the secondary material

Use a long lever arm to break the 90 degree joint, as they say the peak stress needs to be at the weld, you did not accomplish that imo

Is that MIG welded btw?

Edited by i6overboard - May/07/2015 at 12:41am
ankitk View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankitk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 10:26am
You could hook  up the T joint into a UTM machine. That's what we did and it gave us pretty satisfactory results
Con: each arm of the T needed to be 50 cm
Elpwnage20 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elpwnage20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2015 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by i6overboard i6overboard wrote:

I would say no

Both should be primary material for the 30 degree joint, also should try to control the heat better, 65-70amps should be all you need MAX.. No samples for the secondary material

Use a long lever arm to break the 90 degree joint, as they say the peak stress needs to be at the weld, you did not accomplish that imo

Is that MIG welded btw?

Doesn't our 30 degree sample look like the correct test samples? I mean, there's adequate penetration and the bead is larger than the tube thickness.
And yes, it was mig welded.
i6overboard View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 10:15am
I'll give you props, that is good for MIG.. But any reason yall couldnt TIG it? They have some really low cost machines out there that would outperform a high dollar MIG for this application. The tubing we use is too small.. 

On the second to last picture (30 deg), you can see the gap between the weld bead and the joint, there is a specific picture in the rulebook that has that failing.. This is where I think TIG welding is the only way to go, you can extend the tungsten and really get in there to penetrate correctly.. 

Elpwnage20 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elpwnage20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2015 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by i6overboard i6overboard wrote:

I'll give you props, that is good for MIG.. But any reason yall couldnt TIG it? They have some really low cost machines out there that would outperform a high dollar MIG for this application. The tubing we use is too small.. 

On the second to last picture (30 deg), you can see the gap between the weld bead and the joint, there is a specific picture in the rulebook that has that failing.. This is where I think TIG welding is the only way to go, you can extend the tungsten and really get in there to penetrate correctly..

We used mig because we got it done by an outside welder and he had mig available.
The 30 degree sample they have in the weld test clarification powerpoint also has a small gap in the weld joint and it is actually shown as passing. Take a look at the last picture in that document.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic