Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ackermann Vs. Anti-ackermann

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ackermann Vs. Anti-ackermann
    Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 8:59am
Hi, my team is planing on participating in BAJA this year and i am incharge of steering. I was doing some research and found that some teams were using Anti-ackermann last year in their vehicles, but as far as i know Ackermann is better for BAJA. So my question is why were they using it?
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 10:18am
We were running anti this past year and found that it worked really well on the pavement and on hard pack but as soon as there was loose dirt or mud the front end would just slide and have no ability to go around a corner. we got 2 DNF in manoeuvrability and didn't make the first corner on one run of rock crawl at Illinois as well I found some of the corners right after mud on the endurance course tricky and often used the entire track to get around. I would not recommend using it for baja if the course is going to be wet.  we ran a similar geometry at Wisconsin in 2012 and on that very dry course we found it worked really well (aside from another 2 DNF's in manoeuvrability). It really depends on how the courses in India are. It may work well it may not. 
Hope this Helps in your decision. Just weigh the pros and cons. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Ares View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 10:47am
thanks that really helps.
Nate View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 1:12pm
You know more about terminology than I do, but our inside wheel turned much more than our outside wheel during turns. It only helps in low-speed situations where there is still a lot of weight on the inside tire. In high-speed corners, it can produce extra drag from what I know. Also consider rear wheel slip and track conditions as RLM stated.

I think rear suspension has a big effect on cornering. You can check out our maneuverability run in the video link below. It shows the front tires. and how they turned. The Kansas event is also on our youtube page that posted that video.

Iowa State University Cyclone Racing 2013 - 2016
Tech Director, DAQ, Media, Manufacturing, Radios
2016 - S&T, Maneuv, & Endurance Driver
"Because BAJA" "Because RACECAR"
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Nate Nate wrote:

It only helps in low-speed situations where there is still a lot of weight on the inside tire. In high-speed corners, it can produce extra drag from what I know. Also consider rear wheel slip and track conditions as RLM stated.

How is 60kph high speed ? I will never get this....
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

Originally posted by Nate Nate wrote:

It only helps in low-speed situations where there is still a lot of weight on the inside tire. In high-speed corners, it can produce extra drag from what I know. Also consider rear wheel slip and track conditions as RLM stated.

How is 60kph high speed ? I will never get this....

High speed is really only in terms of the amount of body roll generated. So it is relevant to the chassis setup, not some absolute notion of what is "fast" and what is "slow."
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic