Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baja Southern California 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Tony Rivera Tony Rivera wrote:

Are you looking at having this be an official SAE sanctioned race, or one of the Non-Sanctioned events? I have been trying to get one of the AZ Schools to host it for a while, but in the meantime I have held my own unsanctioned event, and word has gotten around, and I am hoping that some time in the next few years one of the schools will step up and take over. I would suggest trying to host an unsanctioned event first to try to figure out some of the logistics that go into it, and then move forward from there.

This would be an Official SAE event for early May 2016. Just got back from a pretty productive visit to Willow Springs Raceway. I'll post up some pictures in a minute.
-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 5:26pm
Idea is to rent out the Horse Thief Mile and surrounding off-road area, and maybe the Drift pad though we may not need that.

Some links to pictures:

General Layout Concept - Note that we would have access to Horse Thief Mile if there's a reason to use it, other than fun times...

Looking East towards Streets of Willow - Big flat area that could be used for endurance and whatever else.

Hill Climb Hill - It's quite steep.

Top of the Hill Climb - Looking East

S & T Area? - Kind of a Gully with some interesting features around.

If my Electric car can do it, so can your baja. (I stuck to the access roads)

-Joe
RyanJ View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 10:06am

Has anyone contacted SAE Baja officials to open the discussion on SoCal hosting in 2016?  I would suggest starting with Sam Barill:  http://students.sae.org/cds/ulaseries/contact.htm - http://students.sae.org/cds/formulaseries/contact.htm

adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2015 at 5:23pm
Yes, they reached out to me. Sam is involved, as are some National Tech Inspectors who have also done organizing. This is the real deal. So if you can help, please post up.

Looking at a possible scouting trip to Hungry Valley, Willow Springs, and Glen Helen on Friday May 15.

Edited by adrive7 - Mar/28/2015 at 5:29pm
-Joe
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2015 at 5:28pm
Took a "ride" by Willow Springs this morning. This is the area we have to play with.
-Joe
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2015 at 1:01am
Bump.

Did a tour of a few sites today. Hungry Valley, Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, and Willow Springs Raceway. 

Hungry Valley looks pretty feasible. 

This event is looking pretty solid, and we're going to need help! Who's in?
-Joe
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2015 at 11:49am
I am interested to do what I can from NorCal.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
sjbaker View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2015 at 6:28pm
UCLA does all our testing at hungry valley and we would love to get involved and help put on an event there
UCLA 2013-2017
Driver 14/15-
Technical Director 15/16-
Aramburu View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aramburu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 5:46pm
Hey guys,

UCLA Alum here, I'm totally willing to help make this happen.

I'm working in NorCal, but I'm down to help plan and fly down for setup/event/cleanup.

Stoked to see that this is actually happening!
Dylan Aramburu
UCLA Racing Team Captain
2012-2014
mehtaN View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehtaN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 6:10pm
Current UCLA Racing member. We definitely have a few people that are in to help. Just sent you a message Joe!
UCLA Racing | Baja SAE
2011-2016
sneff View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 4:13am
Neff checkin in. UCLA alumnus, now out of Oakland/SF, happy to help--at the minimum, coming down for a build weekend or three with 'Rambroru
breazy View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 9:45pm
i may or may not be able to help depending on where in socal you guys set up the competition. i'm in TN, but I've family in rosamond as well as good friends in irvine and temecula.  Add me to the list as i'd like to make it out
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2015 at 1:45am
Send me a PM with your name/email/phone#/School/Baja Background.
-Joe
joey.m.gonzalez View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey.m.gonzalez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2015 at 11:45pm
pm sent, Joe...
kodybr View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodybr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 7:35pm
I would love to help out with any SoCal Baja competitions if it is still on the table.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic