Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High speed/Low speed adjustable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unproductive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High speed/Low speed adjustable
    Posted: Jul/27/2009 at 5:58pm
Does anybody run HS/LS adjustable shocks? We're getting away from the air shocks this year, it looks like the only HS/LS adjustable shocks are either BIG money or used off of a motocross bike. Seeing their widespread use in motocross makes me think that it would be advantageous for us to have.
-Bob
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2009 at 7:14pm
We've always run single speed compression Foxes and we've never been left wanting.  I just don't think we're seeing high enough speeds over woops or ripples to warrant DSC shocks.  Some people, RIT for example, swear by them, but we don't see spending the extra money.  Save the money and spend it on tires for testing and be way happier in the end IMO.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 9:52am
We ran single adjustable compression remote reservoir Works shocks in '08 and they worked really well for us. However, I think they were $1800. Most DSC adjustable shocks are very expensive. I think Chris is right. You have to remember that the DSC adjustable shocks are usually for race atvs that are capable of 60+ mph easily. I'm sure you could valve/adjust the DSC settings to work for you but I just don't think it's worth your time or money.
charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 10:32am
We also run the Fox DSC and I plan to switch for the Fox Float custom valved. The DSC were our bench test!They were awesome for quick adjustment and we used all of them but for money and weight saving, we'll go for something else!

Edited by charles ulaval - Jul/28/2009 at 10:33am
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by charles ulaval charles ulaval wrote:

We also run the Fox DSC and I plan to switch for the Fox Float custom valved. The DSC were our bench test!They were awesome for quick adjustment and we used all of them but for money and weight saving, we'll go for something else!

Floats with custom valving is what I would like to do for our car next year as well.  The car handles great but it rides stiff as hell.  The damping is way off what we need it to be, which is to be expected since these shocks are tuned for a ATV.
rjwoods77 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjwoods77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 12:28pm
Air shocks and their built in stiction/hysteresis = uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by rjwoods77 rjwoods77 wrote:

Air shocks and their built in stiction/hysteresis = uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh

Agreed, TTU will be sporting some spiffy coilovers on the '10 car.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

rjwoods77 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjwoods77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 3:24pm
Anybody have any datalogs of shaft velocities of dampers in Baja conditions. Any idea what in/sec qualifies for a high speed?
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 5:55pm
From some old files we got at Auburn I have on my home computer I get ~30in/sec for a fairly hard hit that saw ~8" bump in a system with a motion ratio right at 1.8:1.  There were only a few spikes this high on the Auburn course.  For smaller ruts/bumps that saw ~4" of bump ~12-14 in/s was a pretty average velocity.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic