Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOX FLOAT R SPECIFICATIONS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesterocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOX FLOAT R SPECIFICATIONS
    Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 3:07pm
we have decided to use fox float r suspension for our vehicle this time.....but i really need to know the stiffness of the suspension and also i need a CAD model for the suspension.

the specs say that the pressure is variable from 40psi to 120psi.....but wat is the stiffness range(in N/mm or lbs/inch etc)it offers at these air pressure .....and plssssss attach a CAD model if any1 has it or atleast provide me the eye to eye distance (length) of the suspension....thks in advance
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 3:51pm
Since you decided to use it, why don't you make your own CAD and measure the data yourself? Since spring rate changes with the pressure...
eye-to-eye distance is easy to get over the internets if not elsewhere on this forum.
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by lesterocks lesterocks wrote:

we have decided to use fox float r suspension for our vehicle this time.....but i really need to know the stiffness of the suspension and also i need a CAD model for the suspension.

the specs say that the pressure is variable from 40psi to 120psi.....but wat is the stiffness range(in N/mm or lbs/inch etc)it offers at these air pressure .....and plssssss attach a CAD model if any1 has it or atleast provide me the eye to eye distance (length) of the suspension....thks in advance

Let's see.... the spring rate is different for all pressures and is highly progressive. The pressure range covers all reasonable spring rates for a baja car, but since it is so progressive it is hard to spec 1 value or even a range.

The eye-to-eye length and stroke will vary as there are several different size float R's. I believe they also come in different valving setups depending on the intended application.

This is a very easy part to CAD and it depends on what size you pick. Length and stroke should be enough to start laying out your suspension design. When you have the parts on hand, you can build your own detailed CAD model.

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 6:23pm
This should answer most questions: uploads/465/SAE-program-6-13.pdf
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 7:09pm
Former Team Captain
lesterocks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesterocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 4:12pm
thnks a lot guys helped me a lot
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 8:28am
Guys,
can Float R or Float X evol be installed at the rear ?
zmpeck View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 9:15am
Why wouldn't they?
ahmed View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by zmpeck zmpeck wrote:

Why wouldn't they?

they would work at front and rear but on Fox website they put the float R and X under front position category !
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by ahmed ahmed wrote:

they would work at front and rear but on Fox website they put the float R and X under front position category !

That's because they are a front ATV shock. Rear ATV shocks tend to be shorter and used differently. Most baja teams use front atv shocks on all 4 corners, just like most teams use front atv tires all around.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
anurag123 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anurag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 5:11am
Originally posted by lesterocks lesterocks wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">the specs say that the pressure is variable from 40psi to 120psi.....but wat is the stiffness range(in N/mm or lbs/inch etc)it offers at these air pressure .....and plssssss attach a CAD model if any1 has it or atleast provide me the eye to eye distance (length) of the suspension....thks in advance</span>
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 8:24am
like O...M..G..

they come in a variety of C-C distances. please contact fox directly for a list of available sizes as you will need to know this before ordering. as for the stiffness range, please read through the fox float owners manual available on their website. there is a graph. 

PS. please do extensive research before posting on here as your questions are quite easy to answer with a simple google search. please also read through the fourm rules before posting and please please please preview your post before posting it. your formatting is showing.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic