Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Auburn pics and results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by smock smock wrote:

Caught the Cornell roll sequence during enduro.  

This is our second 1st place finish and both times our suspension designer decided to benchtest the frame on a high speed endo.... I could do without that late drama in the future
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 8:14pm
Go big or go home!
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Originally posted by smock smock wrote:

Caught the Cornell roll sequence during enduro.  

This is our second 1st place finish and both times our suspension designer decided to benchtest the frame on a high speed endo.... I could do without that late drama in the future

Sounds like he knows exactly what it takes to win!
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:19am
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:43am
pics from FB

Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:01pm

Former Team Captain
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:12pm
First lap of endurance... pardon the camera shake, our driver was hauling some serious ass

Edited by Soccerdan7 - Apr/28/2012 at 5:51pm
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 8:17am

Former Team Captain
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 2:07pm

The fish eye camera is a bit disorienting, that is a very rough course.

Anyone dent their rims on the first lap and run the whole thing on flat tires?

Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 3:25pm
Akron, Still think your vintage swingarm and tiny rear tires is the best solution in the modern competition?
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 3:57pm

Akron, Still think your vintage swingarm and tiny rear tires is the best solution in the modern competition?

Rocks, half burried telephone poles, and railroad ties haven't changed much in the last 8 yrs.  But I would upgrade to 20" rear tires.  The 18"s are strictly for MX tracks no rock crawl, IMO. 
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 6:25pm
That response was much less belligerent than I have come to expect about the touchy subject of your divine approach to rear suspension. The closest car to your old setup was Oklahoma and they won accel and manuv and finished 8th overall but were substantially back from us, OSU and RIT for a podium position.

I have seen the competition evolve over the last 5 years and it is very difficult to follow the old approaches since the courses are not traditional MX style races anymore. Even TTU and USF abandoned their old designs in trying to stay on the cutting edge of the competition.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 8:15pm
But we still ran that Auburn course in 09 with our second team car (a swingarm-ed terra-tired beast) and took overall dynamics, 7th in endurance (with 2 rollovers), and 4th overall.  Swingarms are perfectly competitive if you do them right.

Oh and a swingarm won the Auburn race in 06...

The TTU decision to move away from the swingarm was as much about the opportunity to develop new systems and build "our own" car as it was perceived performance gain.  I'd bet any of you $20 right now that I could spend a week working on the TTU 07 car and take it to top 10 at a race.  That vehicle is STILL a benchmark for how our cars should perform.  I'll be sure to do an exhibition run of S&T in that car at TTU '13 to show you what a swingarm can do.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 8:59pm

I think that any suspension type can do well provided they are tested and set up corectly. Im sure that Chris and the TTU team know how to tune the TTU 07 car to extract 99% of its potential given the amount of experience they have with it. unlike a new car that is "theoritically" better but not as well tested/tuned. 

I know now I would rather run an average car at 99% than a great car at 75%...The average car would probably do better too.

Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 9:10pm
That sounds like a timeline problem more so than a design choice problem. If you can get a new car driving in January or February than you can have it set up at 90% or more even if it is radically different. And a 90% setup all new car is enough to win a race and be further tuned and refined between competitions.

Building an average car just because you understand the ins and outs of it from previous years is an easy way out for a decent overall finish but it doesn't push the competition in terms of innovation and it will likely not win 1st overall these days (or make it to design finals).

I do not mean to go bashing over team's philosophies as there are clearly multiple ways to interpret a baja car and develop a successful design. I just wanted to point out an evolution in what teams are doing and which teams have been winning in recent years.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 9:33pm
Wrong again carbon breath!  :)

09 at Auburn saw a swingarm in design finals, right next to an IRS car from the same school.  It all comes down to how you execute it.  And again I'd bet that if we dusted off our posters and put a couple of our best spin men in place that a swingarm car would again make an appearance in design finals.

Everybody hates on the swingarm and assumes that it doesn't require any development or skill to successfully implement when that just isn't the case.  The dynamics of our cars of old were very well sorted out and the structural analysis that went into the topographical optimization of the swingarm was and probably still is some of the highest level engineering that has gone into a baja car.  Sure it's not a sexy multi-speed gearbox, but the beauty of the swingarm is that it eliminates the need for such an item.

It's easy to downplay the swingarm for being "just" a swingarm but they pose their own unique set of problems.  I'm an indy design guy and I would choose an independent setup were I to design a car tomorrow however I have significant respect for the swingarm platform.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

Wrong again carbon breath!  :)
Everybody hates on the swingarm and assumes that it doesn't require any development or skill to successfully implement when that just isn't the case.  The dynamics of our cars of old were very well sorted out and the structural analysis that went into the topographical optimization of the swingarm was and probably still is some of the highest level engineering that has gone into a baja car.  Sure it's not a sexy multi-speed gearbox, but the beauty of the swingarm is that it eliminates the need for such an item.

I never said it wasn't well-engineered or is easy to run a proper swingarm. I was saying that, in general, many teams run what they are familiar with simply because it is familiar and are afraid to explore something new that is untested but has potential to be better. I am proud that our team is the polar opposite of that and had to learn our lessons to minimize risk to a calculated level with some of our wilder ideas.

A swingarm, if done correctly can still be a good overall finisher. Especially in a water competition. I am doubting the ability for it to win against a car like ours or Laval's on the recent land-only tracks. In the case of your 2009 experience, I recall a ferocious endo on the tabletop on the new car that can't have helped its cause and hearing that a lot of stuff was too new and untested, but a little refinement and evolution brought you to last year's winner.

The only remaining swing arm cars that immediately come to mind are Oklahoma and Northeastern (and maybe USF if they ever come back). I applaud their designs and overall finishes in Auburn but I can tell you there won't be many teams switching to that design any time soon.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 9:47pm
I know I'm a little late with this, but I'd like to express my sincere congratulations to Cornell for an outstanding performance at Auburn.  I hand timed your S&T run, and remember thinking at the time that you guys won the competition right there.

OSU scored 936 points at Auburn, more than enough to win any of the 2011 and 2010 North American competitions.  But it wasn't enough at Auburn, as Cornell posted the highest BajaSAE score since 2009.

Again, my congratulations, especially to Andrew and Danny.  We look forward to seeing you again in Wisconsin. 
Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 9:51pm

What I meant with an "average" car would be to instead of spending another 2/3 month taking 10-15lbs out or optimizing motion ratio, you would spend that time testing/tuning.

I really liked Ann Arbor's 2009 car with the 4-link solid axle. It looks like a very good compromise between a swingarm and an IRS suspension.

EDIT: Dr Paasch, you are right. I was extremely surprised when I saw the 955/100 score by Cornell. I thought that was unheard of but Sherbrooke did 966 in 2009 at Auburn as well.

Edited by jeiB - Apr/30/2012 at 9:52pm
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 10:07pm
Thanks for the acknowledgement, but it was a full team effort of 30ish people. Andrew and I are simply the ones who troll these forums instead of having actual lives. Hell, neither of us are even captains this year. The real thanks should go to David as he drove almost every event (including that suspension demolition) and deserves the most praise for winning the competition.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 10:07pm
For example, I saw some videos from the Univ of Tennessee-Chattanooga. They came 10th overall, 11th in ST, 41st in Hill, 40th in Manuv, 61st in Accel, and 8th in Endurance. I don't want to bash their car but the dynamic scores show that it is far from a top performer and yet they finished 10th mainly due to their strong finish in endurance.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 10:23pm
I think that the balance is pretty delicate between innovation, testing, and tuning.  My biggest challenge as a designer hasn't been finding time to design and build with a month less of school than most universities, it's been trying to design components that are tunable, light/efficient enough to perform well, but also robust enough to last through a difficult tuning regiment and competition(s).  Our best car was built for the 2010 races, and while I would never even think of going back to that design again, I know that as implemented it has outperformed the last two cars I've worked on.  We will see what happens this week in Oregon with UCLA's newest model.

I, like Cornell, am often of the mindset that it is possible to "max out" a given design, and at some point I get bored with doing things the way they are, even if the new way isn't worked out perfectly.  Last year, however, I realized just how frustrating it is to have a car with a lot of potential that "almost worked" due to problems during out testing phase, and we made a conscious effort to tone down the mad science a little bit in pursuit of higher placement across the board.  Like I said, we will see what happens.
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 11:35am

Thanks for the acknowledgement, but it was a full team effort of 30ish people. Andrew and I are simply the ones who troll these forums instead of having actual lives. Hell, neither of us are even captains this year. The real thanks should go to David as he drove almost every event (including that suspension demolition) and deserves the most praise for winning the competition.

I wish we had had even a third of that when I was still heavily involved.  Our guys took 5th with 5 guys in Alabama this year.  There are a few more working behinds the scene that didn't make it to comp., but I can't imagine what it must be like to have a crew of that size.
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by dillon_b12 dillon_b12 wrote:

I wish we had had even a third of that when I was still heavily involved.  Our guys took 5th with 5 guys in Alabama this year.  There are a few more working behinds the scene that didn't make it to comp., but I can't imagine what it must be like to have a crew of that size.

Dillon, do you still do baja?
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:04pm

That big of a team is a blessing and a curse. Once you get above like 10-15 people it becomes a project management nightmare for the leaders. Every year has a core of 5-10 people who design and build like 85% of the car. For every person outside of this core group who is good and reliable to get their stuff done, there is someone who produces inconsistent results, is not reliable and may disappear during pre-competition crunch time, knowing that other people will pick up their slack. I would greatly prefer about 15 people at times, but our huge team allows for things like a 5 person electrical team to do data acq and display stuff and a 5 person composites team to do all of our body, seat, steering wheel, guards, floors, etc which is nice.

I have great respect for all of the teams with fewer than like 8 people because that requires real commitment and a hard work ethic from every person involved to create a successful car.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

Nope.  Graduated in '10, but I only live about 1.5 miles from the shop so I stop in from time to time to annoy the current guys.

Edited by dillon_b12 - May/01/2012 at 12:19pm
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:17pm

Nope.  Graduated in '10, but I only live about 1.5 miles from the shop so I stop in from time to time to annoy the current guys.

Ahah, that's my new job too, Master Criticizer!
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:17pm

That big of a team is a blessing and a curse. Once you get above like 10-15 people it becomes a project management nightmare for the leaders. Every year has a core of 5-10 people who design and build like 85% of the car. For every person outside of this core group who is good and reliable to get their stuff done, there is someone who produces inconsistent results, is not reliable and may disappear during pre-competition crunch time, knowing that other people will pick up their slack. I would greatly prefer about 15 people at times, but our huge team allows for things like a 5 person electrical team to do data acq and display stuff and a 5 person composites team to do all of our body, seat, steering wheel, guards, floors, etc which is nice.

I have great respect for all of the teams with fewer than like 8 people because that requires real commitment and a hard work ethic from every person involved to create a successful car.

I know what you mean. Even in years where we had more than 5-7 guys around, it was still those 5-7 guys who did the vast majority of the work.
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:22pm

I see how you provoke me Danny.  Yet you turned down my offer to go head to head against one of my “vintage” cars this Sunday at Washougal MX Park.  Rather convenient that you failed to sign up for the west coast competition months before I issued the challenge.

When the only car with the "vintage swingarm" in a sea of IRS vehicles wins maneuverability and dynamically out performs all the top 10 teams (except Cornell), I think you should take notice.  Clearly the design judges underestimated Oklahoma, but the static portion of the competition is as much if not more so a beauty competition / popularity contest.  Shiny red paint jobs on formed carbon fiber panels serve no function yet gather many points for completely unrelated systems (its human nature to appreciate aesthetics).

Regardless, Cornell deservingly won……..this time!!!

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

I see how you provoke me Danny.  Yet you turned down my offer to go head to head against one of my “vintage” cars this Sunday at Washougal MX Park.  Rather convenient that you failed to sign up for the west coast competition months before I issued the challenge.

Oh come on! They aren't gonna do a cross country trip and spend close to 8k just to race you.

Akron, you are too entertaining.

Edited by jeiB - May/01/2012 at 12:28pm
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:36pm
Oklahoma's success was due just as much if not more so to their low weight and tiny accel driver rather than their swingarm. Any decently tuned car that weighs 337 lbs with a Gaged CVT can win dynamics these days depending on luck and driver skill. Their car was very impressive and I don't mean to take anything away from their great result, I am just commenting on the differences in the modern competition that an old man like you may not realize.

Also, Oklahoma had the shiny red paint job and big fancy panels while we were minimalist for weight reasons and almost no red paint on the car. Our car was definitely the least aesthetically dominated this year compared to the other 4 cars I have been involved with. We took 2nd in design with a thoroughly engineered car with some innovative new features on it. Building a finished car that looks nice and sellable definitely helps in design presentations but we certainly do not treat it like a "beauty contest."
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:02pm

I am just commenting on the differences in the modern competition that an old man like you may not realize.

Thats the problem with youngsters these days.  A little success and they belive they're the all time best.
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:05pm

I am just commenting on the differences in the modern competition that an old man like you may not realize.

Thats the problem with youngsters these days.  A little success and they belive they're the all time best.

All this because we don't think swingarms are the SH*T...

You certainly seem to think that you are the all time best...
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:16pm

All this because we don't think swingarms are the SH*T...

You certainly seem to think that you are the all time best...

+1

I think we should just leave it there and let Akron dream like its 1999.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:28pm
I didn't start this, wasn't even invovled in 3/4 of the trash talk.......................................Maybe not the best, but I'm easily in the top 3 all time!!!
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:35pm

I didn't start this, wasn't even invovled in 3/4 of the trash talk.......................................Maybe not the best, but I'm easily in the top 3 all time!!!

Not you, your team might be, unless you designed, built, competed all on your own.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by paasch paasch wrote:

I know I'm a little late with this, but I'd like to express my sincere congratulations to Cornell for an outstanding performance at Auburn.  I hand timed your S&T run, and remember thinking at the time that you guys won the competition right there.

OSU scored 936 points at Auburn, more than enough to win any of the 2011 and 2010 North American competitions.  But it wasn't enough at Auburn, as Cornell posted the highest BajaSAE score since 2009.

Again, my congratulations, especially to Andrew and Danny.  We look forward to seeing you again in Wisconsin. 

Dr. Paasch - Thanks and good luck to you guys in Oregon this weekend.  As was already said, doing well at competition is a team effort (regardless of size) and is a culmination of proper planning, but most importantly being ready for anything (we had our fair share of scares during endurance...).

I'm looking forward to Wisconsin - the team turnout (and being the last competition of the year) looks like its going to lend itself to some healthy racing!

p.s. If OSU baja has any work for a grad student for the next 2 years... you know where I'll be
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
AndyRIT View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyRIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:08pm

That is a very bold statement to make as there is over 30 years of baja history.
RIT Baja SAE Alumni 04'-09'
RIT Baja Team Manager 06'-08'
2010 RIT Track builder
2011 CAT/IL Comp Team Leader
2012 Wis vol
2013 RIT Track Builder
Diesel Calibration Engineer-Kohler Engines
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:10pm

Not you, your team might be, unless you designed, built, competed all on your own.
Came close to doing that in 2004..........seriously, me and a few freshmen qualified to turn wrenches.  One of them could weld better than me.  I can honestly say that car was 90% me and I missed 1st overall by 4 points that yr.  Believe it or not.
But seriously, how did this threads devolve into being about how good I am?
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:15pm

Because you claimed something that you can't back up and every other successful team would beg to differ with. This is not an individual competition no matter how much you want to think it is.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004<div><div></div><b>But seriously, how did this threads devolve into being about how good I am?</b></div>[/QUOTE Akron 1998 to 2004
[/QUOTE wrote:

It devolved into this because you are present in it.  I don't mean to personally attack you, but it se

It devolved into this because you are present in it.  I don't mean to personally attack you, but it seems your primary agenda when joining this forum was to observe what current teams are doing, tell them how they are doing it wrong, and brag about how unbelievable you were/are.

As someone that competed for a number of years, I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge to contribute to this forum and community.  Please, contribute in a meaningful way.  What is the purpose of this whole competition if everyone is to build the same car?
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:28pm

It devolved into this because you are present in it.  I don't mean to personally attack you, but it seems your primary agenda when joining this forum was to observe what current teams are doing, tell them how they are doing it wrong, and brag about how unbelievable you were/are.

As someone that competed for a number of years, I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge to contribute to this forum and community.  Please, contribute in a meaningful way.  What is the purpose of this whole competition if everyone is to build the same car?

^ That.

I don't come here and post to argue/fight. I want to share ideas and knowledge about this awesome opportunity that is Baja SAE.

Edited by jeiB - May/01/2012 at 2:30pm
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:30pm
To get this thread back on track, here is a nice photo album I stumbled on to from TTU's facebook.

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
njgedr View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njgedr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:39pm

Just found this pic in your album, great picture, it will probably end up on our website
Rowan Baja 2009-2012
Auburn 09
Peoria 11
Epreuve Du Norde 12
Auburn 12
Wisconsin 12

Mubea Development Engineer
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 2:50pm
It would be nice if some of these large pictures were re-sized a little before posting.  
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 4:09pm
Was just paging through and noticed the pic below. First off, great pic!! But....anyone know if the geometry in the front was setup to toe in during droop or what's up with the toed in tires? Just curious.

Congrats to everyone! Just bringing something to compete with is alone a achievement, let alone the outstanding performance of the top teams. I'd like to give a shout out to John Hopkins for making it into the top 10. If I'm not mistaken, they're a young team w/o years of design or experience to back them up. Way to go!

Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 4:14pm
Just to clarify, these are not my pictures or anyone from Cornell. I simply came across this guy's flickr when I was looking for pictures. He also has some from Birmingham 2011 and stuff as well.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
paasch View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paasch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 6:17pm

The Oregon organizers currently have the '08 OSU car for testing their event layouts.  I'm pretty sure you could talk one of them into a little swingarm/IRS head-to-head.  I'd suggest you start with the Rock Crawl. LOL

Bob Paasch
Faculty Advisor
Oregon State SAE
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 7:26pm

Akron was a powerhouse at Midwest when I was in school*. At the same time, they were too chicken to come to the East (water) event, with the exception of 2004- where they placed a ho-hum 20th. [/turd in the punch bowl]

*FYI, Graduated in '03. Started organizing races in '06, began tech. inspecting in '08, and helped create this forum. I've seen some things. Wink
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 8:47pm
The pics are courtesy Tony Marable who is a staff photographer at TTU.  If you are interested in using them for anything or just want the hi-res versions you can get in touch with him at tmarable@tntech.edu he's a really cool guy who has been coming to races with us and shooting for years.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic