Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Auburn pics and results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Auburn pics and results
    Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:45pm
Anyone?
Former Team Captain
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:55pm
From Cornell Twiter:

Top 10 overall. 

10: u tennessee Chattanooga 
9: johns Hopkins 
8: Oklahoma 
7: Pittsburg state 
6: umbc 
5: Louisville 
4: northeastern
3: RIT
2: Oregon state. 
1: Cornell

Endurance. 3: Pittsburg state. 2: northeastern. 1: Oregon state.

Cost. 3: university of central Florida. 2: u Michigan. 1: umbc.

Overall design 3: Cornell. 2: umbc. 1: Oregon state.

Suspension and traction. 3: RIT. 2: letourneau. 1: Cornell.

Maneuverability. 3: johns Hopkins. 2: nc state Raleigh. 1: Oklahoma

Hill climb. 3: ETS. 2: Cornell. 1: sherbrooke

Accel first. 3: Oregon state u. 2: Cornell. 1: Oklahoma u.

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/22/2012 at 6:00pm
Former Team Captain
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 7:15pm
looks like its gna be a repeat of 09 almost
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
kart7 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kart7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 11:06am
Pics any one!?
TEAM STRATOS
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 12:25pm
Oops

"The start of Sunday’s Baja SAE Auburn 2012 four-hour, wheel-to-wheel endurance race was delayed for about 30 minutes and restarted after one competitor lost steering and slid into the spectator section."

Source: www2.oanow.com/news/2012/apr/22/au-baja-race-brings-students-around-globe-ar-3653455/
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
johnfar109 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfar109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 3:07pm
Yeah as a Volunteer, Organizer or Racer the last thing you want to hear on the Radio is Full Course RED, Stop In Blocks.

On a side note i will be uploading my pics later this evening, i did not get many different angles because i was flagging the turnpike and it kept busy most of the day. Lots of roll overs, a fire and a near fire.

Congrats to all the trams that finished.
- John Farnach

RIT BAJA SAE

That Guy 04-09'

RIT 2010 Maneuverability Captain & Track Prep and Construction
RIT 2013, 2016, 2019 Electronic Scoring & Track Prep and Construction
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 3:22pm
I'm not sure what happened to my Alma Mater, but I heard they flopped/rolled 4 times on Saturday, and had a problem with chains/guarding on Sunday.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
solakian View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solakian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 6:10pm

Can someone provide the complete results from Auburn Baja 2012?

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 7:06pm
They aren't posted to SAE International or the BajaSAE Auburn site either. 
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

jdhunt0 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhunt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 10:28pm
All I know is this is the first time our school (WKU) finished the endurance race, we placed 40th, and we could not be happier about it.

otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 12:05am
here's one of us over the first obstacle in suspension, more to come as we get back to NY and get photos organized.  The race was awesome, the endurance track was lots of fun.  We have helmet cam footage from our first lap and totally cleared the landing on the table top jump (does anyone have a still photo from the grandstand of this? we didnt hit it that big after that...)

edit: it appears that chris reedy may be lurking in the background

Edited by otto - Apr/24/2012 at 12:11am
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 12:08am
Here is a quick pic of our winning car... Many of our team members have more pictures of us and the other top schools but we are all just getting back after the long trip back and it may be a while before pictures are uploaded.

Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 12:09am
dammit otto, you beat me by 3 minutes while I was goofing around looking for a picture
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Bi-Brow View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-Brow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 7:38am
So it looks like Cornell went from Razrs up front and and 489s in the back to Quadcross in front and Mudlites in the back in between S&T and Endurance.

Hope you all talked to tech...

C2.6 "As-approved" Condition

C2.6.1 Once a vehicle has passed technical inspection its configuration may not be modified. All accessory components such as roofs, wings, bumpers, etc. are considered part of the configuration and must remain on the vehicle at all times.

C2.6.2 Approved vehicles must remain in "as-approved" condition throughout the competition. Any repairs of a part that is not identical as the broken part must be approved prior to the repair.

C2.6.3 Non-identical parts not approved will be subject to an appropriate performance penalty.

Cummins XPI Pump Development Engineer
2012 Midnight Mayhem Coordinator
2008-2010 UofL Baja Captain
2011 Powertrain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 7:45am
Cornell is the master of controversy at Auburn it seems... magically transorming carbon fiber to carbon steel halfshafts in '09 and shape shifting tire treads in '12!?

But seriously, well done on bringing another trophy home.
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Bi-Brow View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-Brow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 8:46am

I assumed post endurance pic... don't see full tech stickers on the firewall

Cummins XPI Pump Development Engineer
2012 Midnight Mayhem Coordinator
2008-2010 UofL Baja Captain
2011 Powertrain
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Bi-Brow Bi-Brow wrote:

I assumed post endurance pic... don't see full tech stickers on the firewall

yeah, sorry for no explanation -

we transported the car and drove it around in the parking lot at school with some worn out mudlites and quadcrosses (I sure hope we wouldnt run such awful and bald tires at comp!).  That photo was taken as soon as the car showed up in the paddock and was un loaded.

If you look at some other pictures we had some black rims with razrs and 489s on them for comp, had 1 trashed rim from suspension and a flat tire from endurance so we switched two wheels to the polished version of the rim with the same tires on them (and they had the same tires as when we went through tech).
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 9:57am
Yea, what Otto said. We ran the entire competition with 489s out back and Razr Ballances up front. We had to use 2 spares but they were 100% identical except the rims were not powder coated black on the spares. It didn't take long for the accusations to start though.

As for 2009, we did change from carbon driveshafts to steel driveshafts when we broke 1 carbon in suspension and then the 2nd in endurance. We did not have any spare carbon shafts and had to get the steel ones reapproved from Tech and we followed the entire process. We talked to tech before endurance saying we thought the 2nd one was going to go but they said we could not change it out until it broke so we ran for about 45 minutes if I remember correctly, then swapped it and showed them the cracked one to get back out on the course.

Our team has never cheated and has followed all the rules for the "as approved condition" when we did not have appropriate spares ready to go.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:08am
Originally posted by jdhunt0 jdhunt0 wrote:

All I know is this is the first time our school (WKU) finished the endurance race, we placed 40th, and we could not be happier about it.

Congrats on your first finish!  Are you all racing at any other races this year?  It's good to see another Kentucky team competing.  UK-Paducah had a car for a few years, but I haven't seen much out of them in a while.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Yea, what Otto said. We ran the entire competition with 489s out back and Razr Ballances up front. We had to use 2 spares but they were 100% identical except the rims were not powder coated black on the spares. It didn't take long for the accusations to start though.

As for 2009, we did change from carbon driveshafts to steel driveshafts when we broke 1 carbon in suspension and then the 2nd in endurance. We did not have any spare carbon shafts and had to get the steel ones reapproved from Tech and we followed the entire process. We talked to tech before endurance saying we thought the 2nd one was going to go but they said we could not change it out until it broke so we ran for about 45 minutes if I remember correctly, then swapped it and showed them the cracked one to get back out on the course.

Our team has never cheated and has followed all the rules for the "as approved condition" when we did not have appropriate spares ready to go.

Did you guys bring spares for the carbon parts this year?  I don't think I would feel comfortable going to any competition without spares.
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:15am
We had a total of 6 carbon suspension tubes on the car and I made share to crank out a full set of spares right before we left, plus we had a full set of steels that we had been using for testing earlier in the year and we brought them too, just in case.

Just to be clear, we didn't break any of the carbon parts this year despite that fairly punishing suspension course and a rear suspension encounter with a very large rock during endurance.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:20am
Well, Sherbrooke had aluminium suspension arms all around. I think one of the front corners failed in the first few laps of endurance. The wishbones were replaced, I think, with steel ones (there are pics on their facebook) but since they did not finish, no one cares. They might have re-approved the new arms though.

Everyone loves to bring up that carbon driveshaft controversy from Cornell but I find it pretty stupid. They did something new, it backfired. The carbon shafts probably weren't that much lighter than the steel ones especially if you consider moment of inertia as well. As Dan said, they went through the proper procedure as well...people should lay that to rest.

Also, the tires swapping thing would have NEVER slipped by the tech during the post endurance inspection, accusing Cornell of cheating is preposterous!
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:35am
I didn't mean any accusation of cheating, I just think it's funny how everyone jumps to conculsions. 

No harm meant here Smile

I'm just jealous that I don't have one of y'alls cars in my garage!  When they go into production and come up for sale, I want one (carbon and all)!
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:37am
Kyle, I took your comment in the second degree (ie with humor) Thumbs Up
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:53am
Just to close out the carbon driveshaft discussion, they were on the order of 0.25 lbs lighter each than our optimized steel custom shafts which are way lighter than stock shafts.

The failures in Alabama 09 were from a combined torque and compression shock load that failed the bonded interface, not the actual tube. If you all remember correctly, we fixed this problem in time for Wisconsin 09 (but not Oregon) and ran the second generation there. We failed one in endurance when FEI rammed us at full speed and took out an entire rear corner. The other lasted that entire race. That is why we now always run a rear bumper.

They were designed again for 2010, but not used at the last minute as the drivers and team captain decided they would rather have some ductility and peace of mind than 0.5 lbs less rotating half unsprung weight and any kind of innovation points in design. That decision panned out as we took 5th in SC and 1st in Rochester with a very durable car.

I did the suspension tubes for my Master's project and think the risk / reward here is much more suitable for baja.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 10:53am
Cornell guys,

Why the unpainted firewall?  Seems like there are lots of teams every year that do this.  I've never been a fan of the look, although the rest of your car looks great.
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 11:03am
I think its actually painted. The reflection is misleading.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 11:21am
It is not painted. We like the aluminum finish and it matches all of our polished wheel assemblies and gearbox nicely. We actually painted very little on this car to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 11:30am
What was your weight?
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 11:33am
official weigh in was 308 lbs and when you get that light, yes the paint matters.

I know Michigan - ann arbor was 307 but had to replace a couple bars to pass frame tech and I heard rumors someone else was 306 but it wasn't UMBC or OU who I was expecting and Laval wasn't at this race.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 11:42am
What was Laval's weight last year? I thought they were closer to 320-330lbs.

Good job on that weight, that's impressive.

Edited by jeiB - Apr/24/2012 at 11:42am
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 12:34pm

official weigh in was 308 lbs and when you get that light, yes the paint matters.

I know Michigan - ann arbor was 307 but had to replace a couple bars to pass frame tech and I heard rumors someone else was 306 but it wasn't UMBC or OU who I was expecting and Laval wasn't at this race.

powder coat adds up, spray paint not so much

I did 2-3 coats on the a-arms and the deli scale we have didnt measure any difference (it reads to .01 lbs so it added less than 1/100 of a pound in paint).

to get paint to look nice over fiberglass or carbon is a different story, takes a lot more material in paint etc. and that can add up fast.  painting metal is generally not as intensive

anodizing the firewall would be pretty cool... but I also like the stock polished look
charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 12:40pm
Laval was at 330 back in 2010...
They were closer to 308-310 last year.
Universite Laval alumni
2006-2010
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 10:55am
MOAR PICS
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 11:18am
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 11:27am
The prototype cost is in there 0.0...first time I see that!

EDIT: And I am impressed by Sooner Racing. Isn't it there second or third competition? First in acceleration and maneuverability. Congrats!

Edited by jeiB - Apr/25/2012 at 11:32am
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 12:23pm
What happened to Sherbrooke, TTU and ETS? teams with historic of good results, but were not well this time.
LAVAL and UMCP did not participate?

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/25/2012 at 12:28pm
Former Team Captain
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 12:34pm
Laval is only doing two competitions this year.

Sherbrooke broke their front suspension, replaced it, and then broke their gearbox. I think that was on their twitter/facebook.
ETS had a part failure (brake?), which part is a mystery. But yea from the results, their baja didn't seem to preform very well.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

to get paint to look nice over fiberglass or carbon is a different story, takes a lot more material in paint etc. and that can add up fast.  painting metal is generally not as intensive

How about putting pigment in your composite matrix?

Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

The prototype cost is in there 0.0...first time I see that!
Last time they included prototype cost it was a mistake. They quickly pulled the results down and censored the cost values. Unless they changed their policy, save a copy now if you want to use the numbers.

It looks like general wisdom still holds; you lose one point off of a perfect score for every $100 over some target cost, except instead of ~$8000 for the target (several years ago), it looks like $9000 is the target now.
University of Rochester Alum
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

How about putting pigment in your composite matrix?

I can promise you I have thought of and tried everything for body panels in the last 5 years. We used to use automotive primer, pigments and clearcoats and had to sand and fill any tiny imperfections. We did this until the panels were perfect and I think our 08-11 cars reflect that, but we added a large % of weight to the panels by doing this.

We have used red dye before in our epoxies but the part usually looks too murky and / or pink. We dyed all of the Kevlar in our float and fenders black in 2010 and 2011 but it is more of a matte finish to keep from drawing attention where our panels are a completely different story.

Everyone loves the exposed CF look and thinks its something new this year for us, but I have been doing it for 5 years and decided that it wasn't worth the weight and effort this year. It goes much better with the car's overall color scheme this year.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
IM31408 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IM31408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Pedro UFPBaja Pedro UFPBaja wrote:

What happened to Sherbrooke, TTU and ETS? teams with historic of good results, but were not well this time.
LAVAL and UMCP did not participate?

UMCP will be coming to Wisconsin only this year as far as I know. I saw TTU being towed back during the endurance race with a broken tie-rod and I saw them only a few more times afterwards. As for ETS, I heard they were trying out a new gearbox setup this year and they broke the main gearbox and the replacement one so there was nothing they could do to continue at that point. That's just what I heard through a couple people so take it how you want. 
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 1:16pm
TTU had many problems and only got in 1 or 2 dynamic events and a few laps on endurance. I heard they exploded a gearbox bearing on saturday and then I think broke an a arm and a driveshaft among many issues on sunday.

ETS broke their new planetary box twice, the first was on friday on the practice track and was fixable using Auburn's shop but the 2nd failure was during suspension on saturday and was catastrophic. They left before endurance to try to get everything fixed in time for Oregon.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
johnfar109 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfar109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 1:39pm

ETS broke their new planetary box twice, the first was on friday on the practice track and was fixable using Auburn's shop but the 2nd failure was during suspension on saturday and was catastrophic. They left before endurance to try to get everything fixed in time for Oregon.

I was Right there both times it broke it just seamed to pop out of gear and then i would not go back in. To bad, there car was quick. One of only a handful that looked real good on the suspension course.
- John Farnach

RIT BAJA SAE

That Guy 04-09'

RIT 2010 Maneuverability Captain & Track Prep and Construction
RIT 2013, 2016, 2019 Electronic Scoring & Track Prep and Construction
ffriolet View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffriolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 2:02pm

As Danny said, we have broke our new planetary box. We broke it just before auburn (17) in Montreal, after some analysis, we noticed a calculation error on the planet strength. Before leaving Montreal, we machined other gears and they should be ready for Oregon.

We decided to go in Auburn even if we knew that the planetary box had like 90% chance of breaking.

Friday, the press fit retaining the ring gear failed. That was easily repaired with some radial dowel pin.

On Saturday, as suspected the planets broke.

Yesterday, we did some metallography analysis on the broken gear, we also noticed a quench problem that should be solved for Oregon.

We hope to be ready to run tomorrow.

Edited by ffriolet - Apr/25/2012 at 2:11pm
Fred Friolet
Baja ETS
Team captain 2012
Design leader 2011
Driver 2011-2012
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 4:38pm
Did it look like they were making measurements for another car characteristics spreadsheet again this year? If so, do you think the organizers will publish it later this year? Was that not Auburn, but Alabama section of SAE that did that in 2009?
University of Rochester Alum
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

Did it look like they were making measurements for another car characteristics spreadsheet again this year? If so, do you think the organizers will publish it later this year? Was that not Auburn, but Alabama section of SAE that did that in 2009?
The Car Characteristics will be released. Not sure on the ETA for them.

The Auburn organizers did it in 2009, as well as the 2012 race.
JeremyB View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer
Last one standing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeremyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 6:47pm
I was the event co-captain for S&T and saw Cornell's runs. Nobody except RIT* was even close! Cornell hit the first railroad tie on the stair steps, launched, and completely cleared the second step.

For endurance, I was stationed between milepost 115-135. Cornell came through what seemed like tens of seconds ahead of the 2nd and 3rd car. Believe they ran a 6:11 lap. Next closest lap (not sure who it was) was 6:48, although I'm sure that was due to all the lap traffic encountered. I joked, tongue in cheek, that Cornell must be cheating since they were going so fast!

The endurance co-lead took the old Auburn 2004 test mule (Grandma/Granny) for a hot lap on Monday. Ran a 6:21. I ran a hot lap before the race and got about the same. Not too bad for an 8 year old car with various issues.

*RIT got hung up on the radial washboard (after the culvert) on their 2nd run, which is a decent chunk of the time they gave up.
jdhunt0 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhunt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 9:25pm
dillon_b12

We will not be at any other events this year.  I'm not sure yet if there will even be a car next year.  It was planned to cancel the program after us, but I think our team may have turning things back around.  WKU's baja program is set up a bit different than most of the other schools, it is more of a semester and a half project management/prototyping class.
smock View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 8:31am
I've got a ton of photos I need to upload.  Caught the Cornell roll sequence during enduro.  I was working suspension during dynamics and got quite a few carnage pics from my vantage point by the rock garden.  I'll have a link to them in the near future.  

Andrew Smock
Design Engineer
John Deere Commercial Products
Augusta, GA
UA Baja Team Leader 2006-2009
UA SAE President 2010
www.uabaja.com
jdhunt0 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhunt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 1:54pm

Edited by jdhunt0 - Apr/26/2012 at 1:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic