Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Auburn pics and results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

The pics are courtesy Tony Marable who is a staff photographer at TTU.  If you are interested in using them for anything or just want the hi-res versions you can get in touch with him at tmarable@tntech.edu he's a really cool guy who has been coming to races with us and shooting for years.

As long as he is cool with people using his photos, you can get a high-res version from the album.

1.Click thumbnail.
2.Click picture to make bigger.
3.Click "View All Sizes"
4.Click "Original"
5.Right Click, select "Save As"

Edited by dillon_b12 - May/02/2012 at 11:41am
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by paasch paasch wrote:

The Oregon organizers currently have the '08 OSU car for testing their event layouts.  I'm pretty sure you could talk one of them into a little swingarm/IRS head-to-head.  I'd suggest you start with the Rock Crawl. LOL

Funny that you mentioned this while I was packing the trailer to head down there.  One of my vintage cars was used to setup Maneuverability / Suspension & Handling.  I offered several times to run the Rock Crawl but they said it wouldn't be worth the damage.  I naturally assumed they feared I'd smash it into a gravel parking lot.
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by JeremyB JeremyB wrote:

Akron was a powerhouse at Midwest when I was in school*. At the same time, they were too chicken to come to the East (water) event, with the exception of 2004- where they placed a ho-hum 20th. [/turd in the punch bowl]
Love the PIC.  I started the 2004 East Endurance race 2nd overall in the points.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

Originally posted by JeremyB JeremyB wrote:

Akron was a powerhouse at Midwest when I was in school*. At the same time, they were too chicken to come to the East (water) event, with the exception of 2004- where they placed a ho-hum 20th. [/turd in the punch bowl]
Love the PIC.  I started the 2004 East Endurance race 2nd overall in the points.

Again with the I. You do realize this is a team competition, don't you? 

Somebody should really help out the current Akron team if they are really the best all time because they keep showing up with similar designs and haven't won with it in how long? If that setup really is the holy grail, then you should help them get it back to winning ways rather than rant about how back in your day the car was so good it could have won without a team.

Edited by Soccerdan7 - May/03/2012 at 3:22pm
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

Again with the I. You do realize this is a team competition, don't you? 
At one point in time I questioned if it was fair for me to go against a team of 30, then I realized they probably didn't have room for more.

Edited by Akron 1998 to 2004 - May/03/2012 at 6:01pm
steve o 77 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve o 77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 3:01am
Originally posted by schooter schooter wrote:

Was just paging through and noticed the pic below. First off, great pic!! But....anyone know if the geometry in the front was setup to toe in during droop or what's up with the toed in tires? Just curious.

Congrats to everyone! Just bringing something to compete with is alone a achievement, let alone the outstanding performance of the top teams. I'd like to give a shout out to John Hopkins for making it into the top 10. If I'm not mistaken, they're a young team w/o years of design or experience to back them up. Way to go!

that right there is some bump steer. Unless they had it set up like that at ride height which I doubt.
FWBcut View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FWBcut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 6:38am

Even TTU and USF abandoned their old designs in trying to stay on the cutting edge of the competition.
A few days behind but....
Mmm, not exactly. In '09 we stuck with the manual trans and went IRS. We changed the rear suspesion, to put it short, because no one thought we could do IRS. We did pretty well with it but we still saw greater advantages with a swingarm.
In '10 we wanted to try something new again, this time CVT. We went back to swing arm and had a decently fast car. Our scores never showed it because of chain issues at each race.
We didn't think our previous cars were outdated, so that didn't drive us to try new things.
I watched the lap of this years Auburn race and didn't see anything "new" that hasn't been in a baja track before. If I were to go baja again I'd still do a swing arm/manual trans car.
Joe
U. of South Florida
Baja captain 07-08
www.usfracing.com
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by steve o 77 steve o 77 wrote:

Was just paging through and noticed the pic below. First off, great pic!! But....anyone know if the geometry in the front was setup to toe in during droop or what's up with the toed in tires? Just curious.
that right there is some bump steer. Unless they had it set up like that at ride height which I doubt.

My thoughts too. Maybe it's some bump steer that only occurs in full droop. Which would be an alright place to hide a bunch of bump steer.
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
MBlake77 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBlake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 3:43pm
Hey schooter, thanks for the shoutout. This is our 8th year, so we've had some experience (mostly with fixing things...) but we don't allow grad students or have any advisor involvement so there's definitely quite a bit of learning that happens each year. Our core is mostly younger members, so watch out for them over the next couple years. Looking forward to seeing you all and competing in Wisconsin! 

Also, congrats to Cornell on a great finish and car!
Matt Blake
Hopkins Baja
Captain 2011-2012
umbaja2009 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umbaja2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 9:20am

That car was from 2010.  It did have some awful bump steer throughout the entire range of travel. Made it "fun" to drive. 

Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

I really liked Ann Arbor's 2009 car with the 4-link solid axle. It looks like a very good compromise between a swingarm and an IRS suspension.

Thanks jeiB. I wanted to see what we could do without IRS.  It was a fun car to have but with such a short prop shaft the angles of articulation for the CV joint were almost unmanageable.  We ended up building our own version of the Cornay Joint but had issues keeping the needle bearings from breaking. 

ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 9:53am
Look at all this man drama haha. By my stopwatch at Auburn, Cornell was pulling roughly 30!! seconds a lap on the rest of the field during the beginning of the endurance race. Cornell either was cutting the track without nobody ever knowing, had rocket boosters, or have a very well put together team with dedication... I'm leaning towards rocket boosters!
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

Look at all this man drama haha. By my stopwatch at Auburn, Cornell was pulling roughly 30!! seconds a lap on the rest of the field during the beginning of the endurance race. Cornell either was cutting the track without nobody ever knowing, had rocket boosters, or have a very well put together team with dedication... I'm leaning towards rocket boosters!

Probably rocket boosters made out of carbon fiber!
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 11:11am

Probably rocket boosters made out of carbon fiber!

Only the best kind....

Our first lap we pulled about a minute and 30 seconds ahead but lost that due to the red flag stoppage and then catching up to the last cars which slowed us down greatly. We then proceeded to endo, shear a driveshaft, and get a flat tire and still finished on the lead lap (quite a ways behind OSU). We estimate we would have been about 4 laps ahead of everyone without those issues.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by umbaja2009 umbaja2009 wrote:

That car was from 2010.  It did have some awful bump steer throughout the entire range of travel. Made it "fun" to drive. 

I really liked Ann Arbor's 2009 car with the 4-link solid axle. It looks like a very good compromise between a swingarm and an IRS suspension.

Thanks jeiB. I wanted to see what we could do without IRS.  It was a fun car to have but with such a short prop shaft the angles of articulation for the CV joint were almost unmanageable.  We ended up building our own version of the Cornay Joint but had issues keeping the needle bearings from breaking. 

You might like this.  Akron U has a prototype 4-link solid axle, its impressive for a first attempt.  I think if next year's team really worked on it this summer they would have something.  

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

Originally posted by umbaja2009 umbaja2009 wrote:

You might like this.  Akron U has a prototype 4-link solid axle, its impressive for a first attempt.  I think if next year's team really worked on it this summer they would have something.  

Yes, I saw it. Ann Arbor 2009 was basically the same setup but it had much smaller/lighter wheels (20in?) and what looked like a MUCH lighter axle.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 1:23am

[QUOTE=jeiB] 
We estimate we would have been about 4 laps ahead of everyone without those issues.

This comment has been digging at me for the last couple weeks. Two reasons. First, you broke, so why even try to estimate how much you might have won by? Second, Wisconsin seemed to prove otherwise.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 9:46am
This is all a hand waving exercise and does not matter because you are right, we broke. We lost a lap to get frame teched on the rollover, we lost another 2 to replace the driveshaft and flat tire and make sure the rear suspension was ok and we lost at least 1 more in the last third of the race when our car was running terribly due to major engine issues with the rollover.

Wisconsin was a totally different story as our CVT was misbehaving the whole race and there was not much we could do about it since everything was on the tech sheet. It was the same setup as Auburn so should not have run so much slower but it did. Our driver did a great job just to keep up with the leaders with a substandard car and we are thrilled with the finish. We have no idea why the CVT was shifting so much differently but you can be sure we will figure it out for next year.

That's what you get with racing and we are very pleased with our 1st and 3rd place finishes as this is now our most successful year in our short 8 year history. I was very impressed with Laval and OSU's cars this year as well and they are fully deserving of the other top finishes and awards. Congratulations guys.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 3:56pm
I have been racing a lot longer than just Baja and every racer makes excuses for why he or she didn't win. One of the reasons that your comment bugged me so much is anytime a racer started to point out reasons why they should have beat someone but didn't, it was their ego talking.
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 4:25pm
I did not mean that comment in any negative way. Several people said we were really fast in the beginning and I was just explaining what happened and where we projected we would have been. I don't think it is an ego thing as I rightfully acknowledged your guys achievements this year and am extremely proud of how we did as a team. There will always be what-if's but we are very happy with what did happen and will look to build on it for next year.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 5:31pm
Everyone likes to do a bit of bragging now and then. No need to take it personally. Both of you guys' teams had great results at comp and I think it's enough to just leave it at that.
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic