Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Your Junk: 2012 Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 6:07pm
The main difference was that welding A sucked balls.  The welder B was a bad as* mother trucker.  Welder A has a really ugly g/f too.  Thats probably what did it.
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2012 at 8:11am
Could it have been the location of the welds as well?
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2012 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Rob71zilla Rob71zilla wrote:

Could it have been the location of the welds as well?

Probably not...  The G/F part is what did it.
SDSM&T 09-10 Team Lead
2nd & 9th Baja West

Project Engineer
Matrix Service - Bellingham, WA
S&Tminer baja View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&Tminer baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

Originally posted by S&Tminer baja S&Tminer baja wrote:

For instance, we had two different welders for our 2011 car, and after competition it saw a major rollover or two. Several welds from welder A cracked, and none from welder B cracked. Had this happened in a race, weld preparation/process/quality could have DQ-ed us. It's a big deal!

Any idea what was the main difference from Welder A & B?

There were several actual differences. Welder A didn't know a lot about how to set up a welder, which led to argon problems and nasty welds, but the problem was only made worse by tubes that weren't cleaned before welding. Often, had problems with "booger welds" (welds that were too cold, and 3 dimensional).  Welder B sought training and solved the gas problems, and made sure to clean up joints before welding, and used appropriate heat.
-Carl Lacy

S&T Miner Baja SAE
Jaded Old Consultant/Frame Design
Team Captain 2009-2011
Public Relations 2008-2010

Missouri S&T; Rolla, MO
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 12:43am

The chassis as of today, the strap was used to make it level while we fill in welds and no we are not using that seat, its just a placeholder. There have been various occurrences of team members walking around with it stuck to them. That what happens when your chassis lead picks out the seat and weights 50 lbs less than you.

Edited by Purduebaja - Feb/24/2012 at 12:47am
Purduebaja View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purduebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 1:04am
Anyone use photosynth before? This isn't a very good example because of the order I took the images in, but its worth a look. Maybe we can get more of these up so people can "walk around" each others baja shops.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=bc7a2ddf-a7ba-45c6-8e2f-2b3e30c1d76b&m=false&i=0:0:16&c=-1.59918:-0.559658:0.199164&z=446.022152259544&d=2.74598943091819:-2.32762333626677:-2.30606507016437&p=0:0&t=False
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 8:47pm
Made some progress this weekend and got the rear suspension tacked in.

Andy Benn
Northeastern University Baja SAE
http://www.facebook.com/nubaja
http://www.numotorsports.com
T Fears MS&T View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 5:17am
Swingarm I guess?  We have never ran one.  USF is my favorite swingarm car.  It would be the only reason I would ever go with one having seen how well it worked for them.
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 8:27am
Yup we've always run a swingarm and we've been around since 2000. It's done fairly well for us actually, several top ten finishes. We had quite a camaraderie with USF for years since we were the only teams to run a swing arm and a manual tranny. However we are the only team to run handlebars...
Andy Benn
T Fears MS&T View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 5:10am
Handle bars.... ehhhhh....
I would be lying if I said they dont seem like a good idea.  I just dont like them becuase, to me, it totally defeats the purpose of the fictional market.  It makes it even more like a 4 wheeler.  I just think its more fun with a steering wheel but I wouldnt be hard to convince into admitting there is probably alot of good attributes to that sort of setup.
Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 2:59am
I have always liked the handlebar cars from NU but we would never go away from our carbon steering wheel. The low travel ratio required for handle bars just wouldn't feel right in our cockpit.

Also, are you guys going to go independent in the rear anytime soon? The USF and TTU swingarm glory days are long gone and although they are simple and effective, I don't think a dependent suspension is capable of beating the likes of Laval and FEI type cars.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 8:04am
Our ratio is about 1:1 so it's real easy to go from lock to lock. That being said yes we do have to make our cockpit a little wider to accommodate handle bars instead of a steering wheel.

An IRS has been in our thoughts for a couple years and just might be the next thing. But for this year in terms of the rear suspension we optimized our swingarm geometry and shed a bunch of unsprung weight so it should handle a little better.

Edited by abenn - Feb/29/2012 at 8:09am
Andy Benn
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

I have always liked the handlebar cars from NU but we would never go away from our carbon steering wheel. The low travel ratio required for handle bars just wouldn't feel right in our cockpit.

Also, are you guys going to go independent in the rear anytime soon? The USF and TTU swingarm glory days are long gone and although they are simple and effective, I don't think a dependent suspension is capable of beating the likes of Laval and FEI type cars.

I wouldn't call swingarms out of it, you just have to pick your battles.  Both races we went to last year (Bham & KS) would have been excellent opportunities to apply a swingarm.  Neither was super rough on suspensions and if anything would have been good places to have the extra maneuverability.  Plus if you apply the TTU tractor tires then your traction improves tremendously too.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 12:35pm
I think I'll revise my statement to agree with Chris on this one although it is hard to design a swingarm car for a mild suspension course since you usually don't know that until you get there (or at least until the spring when pictures begin to surface).

Water races are a whole 'nother animal, and a swingarm with hefty tires can definitely do well there.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 12:20am

I don't think a dependent suspension is capable of beating the likes of Laval and FEI type cars.

I think I'll revise my statement to agree with Chris on this one ..........

I'm glad you changed your mind.........I started having flash backs to previous threads.  I'll just go back to perfecting my personal toy.
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Akron 1998 to 2004 Akron 1998 to 2004 wrote:

I'm glad you changed your mind.........I started having flash backs to previous threads.

I'm glad you tamed that fury. And I would be happy to race your swingarm with our new 2012 car anyday.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 1:29am

I would be happy to race your swingarm with our new 2012 car anyday.

Ok, Sunday May 6th, 2012.  Just compete in Baja SAE Oregon, if your car is still running afterwards I'll gladly go 10 round of Washougal MX Park with you.  Assuming the track is available and my wife doesn't go into labor etc. 
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 1:36am
sadly we are not going to oregon this year since it is too far and we don't have the budget for 3 competitions
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 9:06am

sadly we are not going to oregon this year since it is too far and we don't have the budget for 3 competitions

Maybe if y'all didn't use so much dang carbon fiber!  Wink
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Maybe if y'all didn't use so much dang carbon fiber!  

Contrary to popular belief carbon fiber is not a valid currency. It's easy getting free material and other sponsorships for parts / labor, but its harder and harder to find money. 
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 11:28am

I completely understand, but I still like pretending it's as expensive and mystical as depleted uranium...

Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Maybe if y'all didn't use so much dang carbon fiber!  

Contrary to popular belief carbon fiber is not a valid currency. It's easy getting free material and other sponsorships for parts / labor, but its harder and harder to find money. 

I hear ya on that one man! Especially when your sponsors offer discounts and you tell them you have no money to use the discounts on....

Would it be un-wise to sell the carbon fiber that you don't use? Our team isn't looking for some, but there might be someone else (baja or otherwise) that's looking to pick some up. Either way, it'd be more money in your account than you had before!
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 3:11pm
We've thought about that but in addition to being illegal because the donated material is a tax writeoff, our sponsor would be really pissed if they ever found out and then we lose the free carbon as well.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 3:13pm
Right, right, understandable

Well, best of luck at any rate! 
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 3:39pm
Just like you can't sell Polaris parts that you bought at cost.
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 11:23pm
as of this morning, hope to have done by end of next weekend
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 11:11am
steering rack?
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 1:36pm
what about it?
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 3:49pm
Crooked? Or is it just the picture
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 3:52pm
it wasn't completely seated, it is slightly tho one of the bolts tilted during welding. just like .5 deg.
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 9:47pm
+/- 1 baja right? Thumbs Up
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 10:10pm
yupWink
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 7:01am
Got out testing with the new front and rear suspension this weekend. Unfortunately we had to rely on the old car to get the new one out of the pits again.

Andy Benn
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 12:37pm
Ready for Baja SAE Brazil 2012 next weekend

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Mar/19/2012 at 10:09pm
Former Team Captain
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 2:31pm
Pedro, what is new/different?

From what I can remember, the tires/wheels are much larger and the car has a much higher ground clearance.

Nice beast though, good luck!
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 4:31pm
New tires(23x7)
New front suspension
Different cvt setup 
Half firewall (due the new brazilian rules)
several small adjustments
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 7:38pm
I like the dark blue interpretation of the Gulf paint scheme!
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 8:55pm

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Mar/19/2012 at 10:09pm
Former Team Captain
frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 9:28pm
Gulf McLaren F1?

I wonder what the chances are of those half firewalls making their way over to the North American rule set . . .

Edited by frinesi2 - Mar/19/2012 at 9:30pm
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by frinesi2 frinesi2 wrote:

Gulf McLaren F1?

almost,  just missing paint the wheels.

Originally posted by frinesi2 frinesi2 wrote:

I wonder what the chances are of those half firewalls making their way over to the North American rule set . . .

If it is allowed for mid-engine cars, makes no sense to be banned in cars with rear engines. 
In 2012 Brazilian rules is no longer the mandatory the firewall extend from LC to LC of the RRH. 
Now  is just mandatory the spill-proof enclosure for refuering be completely separate from the engine compartment and the pilot compartment, just like mid-engine cars.

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Mar/20/2012 at 3:27pm
Former Team Captain
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 12:06am
did a test of the turning radius even with the slightly messed up set up and holy Censored the new set up is giving about a 7 foot turning radius. I will try and post a pic of the gearbox this weekend after i pick it up tom from the cnc
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 1:22am
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 1:03pm
putting the "box" back in gearbox i see
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
T_Patn View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Patn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 12:50am
if we had had the money for the comet it would have been more roundWink
Tyler Patten
CSULB RACING
csulbracing.com
NJITCaptain View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJITCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 3:46am
10 more days until Auburn 2012. http://www.youtube.com/embed/l-N0qz9jytg
Josen D. Llave
Norton Engineering Consultants
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Society of Automotive Engineers
Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America
http://josen.webs.com/saebaja.pdf
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 2:21pm
Nice work, I'm getting excited for Alabama... seeing all the other teams.  Now if only these design posters would finish themselves!
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJITCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 2:30pm
Thanks for reminding me! I have to make mine @.@
Josen D. Llave
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJITCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 3:13pm
Photo taken for the New Jersey Institute of Technology - Salute to Newark College of Engineering Event, March 29, 2012.

NJIT SAE Baja Team 2011-2012

Photo taken April 7, 2012.

SAE Baja Auburn, Alabama April 19-22. 10 more days.
Josen D. Llave
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 3:24pm
Nice looking car!  I never get sick of looking at Elkas.  Why the lights? 
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 3:26pm
Well done! Forewarning, you might want to take the lights off for competition. The only reason I say that is just in case you roll, the lights might break off. Per rules, they would have to be put back on if they get picky about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic