Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Your Junk: 2012 Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show Your Junk: 2012 Edition
    Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 8:34pm
Well it's that time again.  Here's our junk so far.  Big thanks to Cartesian Tube Profiling for making this year's build fly!

And with our newest model, Gage.

-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 9:04pm
I don't think the tech judges are going to like your SIM, Chris.
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2011 at 9:09pm
Actually, this is how its done.

Our first attempt at welding we decided wouldn't pass tech, so we had to make a 2nd try at it.

Tyrell Laxton
TTU Baja (guy with the hair)
www.ttubaja.com
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2011 at 10:19am
I see nothing but little red x's from Chris... but I like the use of the DTNW process, that is Duct Tape Nascar Welding.

Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2011 at 12:14pm
Laser notched tubes? Frame looks a few inches shorter length wise than last year?
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2011 at 7:45pm
That's just because it doesn't have the back half yet, it really shortens up a car if you cut off those heavy rear wheels and that whole engine deal.

You gotta look at the details.
Tyrell Laxton
www.ttubaja.com
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 11:17am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

Laser notched tubes? Frame looks a few inches shorter length wise than last year?

CNC bent and notched by the good folks at Cartesian Tube Profiling.

Anybody got any new junk to show off for 2012?
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Soccerdan7 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 3:24pm
We have a lot of new junk in the works and have recently started serious fabrication. Our team traditionally doesn't like showing things in advance though so no pics yet... It's all about the surprise.
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
Former Captain / MEng / that guy with all the carbon
10 races, 7 top ten's, 2 overall wins
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 3:36pm
I bet it ends up being red, black, and carbon fiber Tongue
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 3:53pm
Probably a pretty safe bet... at least while I still have a say
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

I bet it ends up being red, black, and carbon fiber Tongue

Sounds like a joke... "What's red, black, and carbon fiber all over?"
University of Rochester Alum
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 4:33pm
We might have 3 pedals...
Jason woun't let me run an alternator and a light barCry
Zero Carbon fibre and possibly Aluminum in interesting places.

How much was Cartesian Chris?
LukeS View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LukeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 6:22pm
Since this thread needs more pictures:

Despite me saying, "the shoulder bar needs to be 5" lower this year" we added a second shoulder bar.

University of Regina
http://www.cougar-racing.com
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerdan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

"What's red, black, and carbon fiber all over?"

I think that might have to go on our firewall this year
Danny

Cornell

(fall'07 - spring'12)
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 7:55pm
frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 8:22pm
Take that FEI and your silly LED lights!
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by LukeS LukeS wrote:

Despite me saying, "the shoulder bar needs to be 5" lower this year" we added a second shoulder bar.

I saw that, and was about to ask...

But I like the use of ratchet straps to square up the frame, we did the same thing with our nose this year.
Tyrell Laxton
www.ttubaja.com
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 7:40am
I like all those wooden jigs... that looks like an good, fast, AND cheap way to go... and the teachers always said that was impossible Tongue
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

frinesi2 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frinesi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 7:42am
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

I like all those wooden jigs... that looks like an good, fast, AND cheap way to go... and the teachers always said that was impossible Tongue

And if you use pine, you get a pleasant aroma while welding LOL

Edited by frinesi2 - Dec/09/2011 at 7:42am
sorms811 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sorms811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 11:57am
University of Wisconsin-Platteville as of 12/3
We us PipeMasters to help notch our tubes.  They work great.
Here's to the crazy ones!
LukeS View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LukeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:03pm
The MDF works excellent for a one off vehicle.  2 sheets of 1" MDF were purchased for our 2011 baja and so far it looks like we'll be able to get the 2012 baja out of them as well.

The frame has been extremely precise so far.  One bar is out by 1/16" and that was due to a piece of tubing being fish mouthed short.
University of Regina
http://www.cougar-racing.com
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by LukeS LukeS wrote:

The MDF works excellent for a one off vehicle. 

Since it's mostly glue and the fibers are not lined up an any particular direction (i.e. wood), it ends up being pretty dimensionally stable with RH and temperature swings in your shop. I think a sheet of MDF on a sturdy table is great for making a fixture for the RRH and other stuff all in the same plane.
University of Rochester Alum
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 3:53pm
Anybody weighed the virgin frame yet?
VivaLaShay View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VivaLaShay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:55pm
ODU Baja
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 6:09pm
Nice frame vivlashay! Which nodes does your front suspension connect to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see where your suspension mounts will go.

Edited by schooter - Dec/09/2011 at 8:10pm
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
JMcCarty22 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcCarty22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 6:29pm
Jamie McCarty
Chippewa Performance
Team Captain 2011-12
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VivaLaShay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by schooter schooter wrote:

Nice frame vivlashay! Which nodes does your front suspension connect to?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see where your suspension mounts will go.
Thanks, suspension mounts to the lower 2 bars
ODU Baja
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Soccerdan7 Soccerdan7 wrote:

We have a lot of new junk in the works and have recently started serious fabrication. Our team traditionally doesn't like showing things in advance though so no pics yet... It's all about the surprise.

pfft tradition, we just dont have anyone on the forums no harm in progress update.  I have some pics, but I went back to CO and left my mini USB cord in NY so I cant pull them off my camera... yet.  The frame should be totally done by this weds, minus tabs (at least thats the plan, it was missing about 6 bars when i left).  Should also have most if not all control arms done by then too.  Got some front uprights done in the CNC before I left.  Rear suspension is a departure from what we've done, but nothing new to baja.  Car should be much much lighter this year.

theres also1-2 new things that I'm excited about (not my projects, wont spill the beans)

is the central michigan with the clearanced LFS tubes? does that make fitting a seat a pain, and have you have problems getting high centered in the past?

also (dont have the post in front of me) but i think its kettering, those sims are interesting.  never thought of running them like that.

we've always mitered all of our bars with air tool stones.  Our tube bending sponsor also struggles getting our tubes properly bent (LFS were bent almost twice as much as the drawing said, at least they got the hard bars doen correctly) so we have to revert to bending some tubes ourselves.  Also drastically improved our jigging set up this year, making everything a breeze to set correctly.  Its nice to have a grid of holes all under your frame for fixturing too.

Edited by otto - Dec/11/2011 at 9:44pm
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
JMcCarty22 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcCarty22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

is the central michigan with the clearanced LFS tubes? does that make fitting a seat a pain, and have you have problems getting high centered in the past?

What clearance are you referring to on the LFS tubes?  We haven't had any troubles with fitting a seat with the setup we run.  We have run the rake in our frame for the past 3 years, it gives us more clearance and helps with ergonomics...the reasoning behind it is that when the driver is seated his legs are bent and the area under his legs is unused so the rake reduces this area and allows for more clearance over obstacles.
Jamie McCarty
Chippewa Performance
Team Captain 2011-12
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 11:11pm
just the fact they arent flat.  probably the camera angle, that point where they are moved up looks close to the firewall
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 10:16am

also (dont have the post in front of me) but i think its kettering, those sims are interesting.  never thought of running them like that.

We've found its much easier to fabricate the sims that way with our frame at least. The sims and triangulating members were cut,bent,notched and tacked in within about 2 hours.
T Fears MS&T View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

We've found its much easier to fabricate the sims that way with our frame at least. The sims and triangulating members were cut,bent,notched and tacked in within about 2 hours.
\

It doesn’t seem to comply with the rules the way I read them.  How do you justify it?  I could be interpreting it wrong.

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 9:09pm

is a SIM allowed to consist of more than one piece of tube?

ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 7:00am
The sim doesn't have to be continuous. Check out last years thread, we did the same thing.

Edited by ErikHardy - Dec/14/2011 at 7:01am
anspach View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anspach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 4:39pm
This is what we have have been working on. The frame is almost all tacked together. We still need to add the front part of the SIMs.
Brandon
Ohio Northern SAE Baja
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 5:17pm
haha.....sexy curves on that there roll hoop!!Thumbs Up TTU should have copyrighted that.
Chase Schuette
anspach View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anspach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 5:38pm
Haha, yeah probably, our car from the last year had a similar firewall. But the idea for it came from TTU. The lower side tubes which are kinda hard too see have some pretty wicked bends in them. It's one continuous tube from the firewall to the node the SIMs will go into.

Edited by anspach - Dec/16/2011 at 5:46pm
Brandon
Ohio Northern SAE Baja
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 6:06pm
yeah, bends like that usually take a few tries or someone with a bit of experience. Unless you have bending software and a bender that's calibrated.

I like the idea of using bends like you got, its something you can actually justify in design judging. Your reducing the frontal area and increasing top speed. I estimated last year that we were loosing close to 3 hp with a speed in the low 30's. Every little bit of that firewall you can get rid of helps.
Chase Schuette
anspach View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anspach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 7:15pm
I wasn't there when they bent the first set but I think they got the firewall bent on the first try. I think we figured last years firewall was about 1sq foot smaller than our previous design. The floor tubes were bent twice. There are two bend planes 34 degrees apart... It was kinda tense bending them and not bending them too far.
Brandon
Ohio Northern SAE Baja
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by schooter schooter wrote:

haha.....sexy curves on that there roll hoop!!Thumbs Up TTU should have copyrighted that.

Dang it we need to stop throwing out all our old firewalls, they keep popping up on other people's cars.

On a side note, when we did it, we made the bottom quite a bit narrower.
Tyrell Laxton
www.ttubaja.com
sfclark View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2011 at 2:34am

S&Tminer baja View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&Tminer baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 2:44pm
S&T's complete frame just weighed in at 51 lbs before tabs. Solidworks projection: 51 and change. Solidworks... works!
-Carl Lacy

S&T Miner Baja SAE
Jaded Old Consultant/Frame Design
Team Captain 2009-2011
Public Relations 2008-2010

Missouri S&T; Rolla, MO
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 10:57pm
Here is 41,008 words about our car thus far.

S&Tminer baja View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&Tminer baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 7:44pm
Gawl, frames are awesome when done correctly.

I bet whoever designed that frame and jigging setup is pretty badass. Maybe S&T will finally get to make a decent showing this time around.
-Carl Lacy

S&T Miner Baja SAE
Jaded Old Consultant/Frame Design
Team Captain 2009-2011
Public Relations 2008-2010

Missouri S&T; Rolla, MO
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:37pm
What's a "jig"?
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

What's a "jig"?

Its a type of dance.
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T Fears MS&T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by S&Tminer baja S&Tminer baja wrote:

Gawl, frames are awesome when done correctly.

I bet whoever designed that frame and jigging setup is pretty badass. Maybe S&T will finally get to make a decent showing this time around.

Not if the ******s in charge of us have any say about it.  We're doomed!
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by T Fears MS&T T Fears MS&T wrote:

What's a "jig"?

Its a type of dance.

Good.  For a second I though I was supposed to have one to build a frame!  Tongue
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VivaLaShay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by T Fears MS&T T Fears MS&T wrote:

What's a "jig"?

Its a type of dance.

Good.  For a second I though I was supposed to have one to build a frame!  Tongue

You don't have a frame building dance?! You're missing out.
ODU Baja
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 12:16am
Originally posted by VivaLaShay VivaLaShay wrote:

You don't have a frame building dance?! You're missing out.

Only an unofficial one.  It's called the "Try-to-move-the-frame-by-grabbing-a-freshly-welded-node".  What you do is burn the shampoo out of your hand then flail around like a crack head on your way to the sink.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic