Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1/2 in Bore Master Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/2 in Bore Master Cylinder
    Posted: Oct/25/2011 at 4:05pm
Does anyone know if anybody makes a flange mount 1/2" master cylinder? Or is 5/8" the lowest they make? Below is a link to what I mean when I say "flange mount". I am planning on doing a dual MC setup with a type of pedal shown below as well.

Master Cylinder:
Wilwood ms-WIL260-6088 Compact Master Cylinder

Pedal Setup
Wilwood 340-1287 Wilwood Brake & Clutch Pedal Assemblies
University of Cincinnati
2012 SAE Baja Team
Akron 1998 to 2004 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Thread Hijack Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akron 1998 to 2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2011 at 4:11pm
5/8" seems to be the smallest made by Tilton Engineering.
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 10:55am
Wilwood's products are all for much larger vehicles than baja cars so I doubt you'll find anything smaller than 5/8" They don't use flange mounts but sport quads use 1/2" or 14mm (9/16") bore's if you're definitely set on using that size. They are much lighter as well.
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 11:06am
When I was captain at Lipscomb, we ran 5/8 and 3/4 bore Wilwoods on our car... and they were overkill.  Besides packaging, they were a general pain to work with because they were for a much larger vehicle as mentioned by Robbie.  Of course we made them work, but I always sorta wished that we had the time/resources to investigate a different product.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
dirtrider View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2011 at 11:35am
I can see what you say about the packaging with those cylinders, however, don't really get why you'd say they were a pain otherwise? Isn't a 5/8" bore MC a 5/8" bore MC? Sure maybe they could have different stroke and/or fluid capacities, but doesn't that still fit into a packaging thing?
University of Cincinnati
2012 SAE Baja Team
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 8:35am
I think packaging is really the only down fall of them, other than that they worked great for us.
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 9:20am
I guess it all boils down to packaging problems... we had a system in place on a heavy vehicle that worked, but as the vehicle got lighter and the budget did too, we had to reuse the same components... which were probably oversized for the need.  So to achieve 4 wheel lock up, the pedal had to give a huge mechanical advantage, which in turn would bend the push rods if they weren't modified and further constrained.  It was a nasty cycle of adding beef when we really just needed to make things smaller...

The wilwood parts are very robust though, and pretty universal.  I have a love hate relationship with them haha.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 3:45pm
AP racing makes a 14mm and 15mm bore master cyclinder
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic