Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CV joint technical information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamtojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CV joint technical information
    Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 8:17pm
Does anyone know of a good way to find technical information on a variety of CV joints? I'm hoping to find information like maximum angle, maximum axial plunge (I know, it depends on the angle), Overall dimensions, weight, torque transmission characteristics, etc.

So far I have not been very successful. If someone has a reasonable way or combination of ways for me to find this sort of information, I will make my research available on the forum.
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2011 at 9:41pm
If you find it let me know.  I've done a ton of research with effectively zero results.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 10:01am
The only way I could find ok info was to search the UTV forums to see what after market CV's those guys were running, then search those model numbers in google.  That did turn up some alright info, but it took a lot of time.
SDSM&T 09-10 Team Lead
2nd & 9th Baja West

Project Engineer
Matrix Service - Bellingham, WA
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 12:14pm
Lets all get out our rulers and start measuring. We've got honda rubicon cv joints that I can get sometime later tonight as far as max angle, plunge, dimensions and overall weight. I assume we don't have enough power to break them so I've never worried about that bit. 
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2011 at 4:44pm
Rubicon 500 Front CV joint rough measurements:

Max Length 20.75"

Min Length:  19" Axle Hitting the CV Bottom not recommendedWink
Max Angle outboard joint: 45 degrees
Max Inboard angle: 25 degrees
Min Inboard: 15 degrees

What I consider zero plunge

Axle Length: 12.75"

Summary:
I would keep the plunge somewhere in the neighborhood of .5" to 1". The axle starts hitting the cv near full plunge and starts hitting the retaining clips close to zero plunge. Theres a large range of 25 degrees available for the majority of the CV as long as you stay away from the extremes.

Recommended overall length of 20" (with stock 12.75" axle)should give good results (End of threads to end of splines).

Max outboard articulation: 45 degrees
Min inboard articulation: 15 degrees
Majority of articulation available inboard: 25ish degrees

Weights:
Inboard Cv assembled 2.22lbs
Outboard CV assembled 2.32lbs
Axle 1.5lbs

iamtojo View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamtojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 11:05am
Wow, fantastic response. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the min inboard angle though, and did you test to make sure that the joint still moves at 45 degrees? Sometimes they can statically go further than the angle that they actually bind at.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 11:12am
Erik, great post.

Can you get spline counts on the inboard and outboard joints as well as the splines on both ends of the shaft?
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2011 at 1:37pm
Should have been more clear about Min inboard angle, thats basically if you shove the cv/axle assembly in as far as possisble (minimum overall length) and articulate the axle just before the axle starts hitting the end of the CV.

The outboard could still rotate at roughly 45 degrees. As you mentioned it could go slightly farther in certain positions but at approximately 45 degrees rotation was possible. Keep in mind I was just using a needle angle finder so don't count on actually getting these exact values.

I'll get the spline data sometime soon Dillon
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2011 at 3:37pm
Spline Data Honda rubicon Front Axle:
Outboard CV to Hub           21 splines         21.45mm outside diameter
Axle to outboard CV           24 splines         19.42mm outside diameter
Axle to inboard CV             17 splines          18.8mm outside diameter
Inboard CV to Differential  20 Splines          20.43mm outside diameter
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 4:51pm
Not sure how many of you are aware but Polaris has posted plunge/angle diagrams in there technical literature on the sponsorship website. Check it http://www.polarissuppliers.com/sae_team/half_shaft_spline_data.pdf

We actually manually made a similar chart in excel last year for Honda Rincon CV's. Me and another guy went crazy with it with macros in Solidworks exporting dimensions to excel.

Edited by schooter - Oct/03/2011 at 7:37pm
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2011 at 7:20pm
Clap No I wasn't aware...this is cool!
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Murdocar View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 9:25pm
Would you please PLEASE post that excel file?!? 
That would be awesome, but i understand if you don't want to give away all the work you did;
but in that case would you tell me where you got those SW models from at least?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic