Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking a CV apart, the inboard end.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a CV apart, the inboard end.
    Posted: May/12/2011 at 11:20am
We need to make new shafts for our CV shafts which are Polaris sportsman 300 shafts. I have managed to take the outboard end off that does not plunge, a few good hits and the came right off. The problem is the inboard side, the side that plunges. I am unable to get these off, I have looked all over the place and the only thing I can find is ones where you have to remove a clip around the housing because the plunge happens on the housing, but on the sportsman 300 the plunge happens on the shaft. Anyone know how to get that end off?
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 11:34am
Got any pictures of it?

Bikebandit.com shows internal clips on both ends of that axle, provided I'm looking at the right thing. I'd start by sliding the boots back and cleaning the crap out of everything with acetone.  Get the grease out and everything cleaned up and you might be able to see how to get it apart.

What year are you using?

Edited by dillon_b12 - May/12/2011 at 11:35am
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 11:40am
BFH  You have to break the clips and they come apart, just replace with new ones and all is good
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 11:43am
Sounds about right, Erik.  The Hondas we've used take a BF slide hammer to get apart.
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 12:08pm
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 12:11pm
Ok, I have hit it pretty hard but basically I just need to hit it harder. I have cleaned them out fairly well and there is absolutely no way to see down inside of it to take a clip off so that would seem right. I'm not sure they are off of, I was not the one that got them, just the person who got tasked with taking them apart.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 1:11pm
One of guys (bibrow on here) made a behemoth custom slide hammer to do ours.  It struggled sometimes, but eventually got the job done. 
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 2:13pm
I took ours to a supplier one year because I got sick of trying.  I assume a dealership should be able to do it pretty quick too, and maybe even for free. 
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 2:42pm
Thats doubtful, our dealer in town is the cheapest place on the face of the earth. They are terrible. By cheapest I mean that they wont do anything for free or even be willing to help, I will probably have to pay them just to ask a question.
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 2:58pm
I'm by no means an ATV expert, but I'm not so sure those pieces are supposed to be servicable... meaning they'd be considered a normal wear item that is assembled in a factory and never expected to be taken apart, so when/if you need a new one, you would get a new one.

Regardless, I'd just be careful about brinelling the balls into the tulip/race/whatever you call the cup thingy.

Out of curiosity, why are you disassembling them?
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 3:13pm

Usually the balls slip into the tulip with no problemTongue Its normally the retaining clip on the splines that is the problem. We took ours apart so we could lengthen them.

SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 3:16pm
we are taking ours apart to lengthen them also. If possible we are going get new ones machined, if we can get our sponsor to do the splines for us. If not we will have to cut them on a bias and splice in a piece and weld it.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by SteveA SteveA wrote:

Thats doubtful, our dealer in town is the cheapest place on the face of the earth. They are terrible. By cheapest I mean that they wont do anything for free or even be willing to help, I will probably have to pay them just to ask a question.

This is completely off-topic, but you need to find a new dealership to work with.  Ours is EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable.  Furthermore, I wouldn't support a dealership like that by buying parts from them.  If you can get stuff cheaper elsewhere, do it.

Here's some reading for you when you're ready to lengthen them yourselves.

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 3:57pm
So why take them apart to lengthen them?  The link Dillon supplied references a method of lengthening that to me doesn't require the removal of the CV... Is it to reduce the risk of heat damage?
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 4:01pm
Yep.  The method we use is way easier if you're working with a bare axle shaft.  Plus, I throw some serious heat in that mofo during welding.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 4:08pm
Oh I remember how many water bottles you used cooling them down in the Auburn paddock the night before endurance Wink
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Oh I remember how many water bottles you used cooling them down in the Auburn paddock the night before endurance Wink

Censored
MTomasko2011 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTomasko2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 7:04pm
We had this same problem with these same axles.  A BFH did not work, and our local Polaris dealer couldnt even get them apart.  Your application is likely different than ours, but since we were cutting off the splined stub anyways, we cut and faced the joint with the shaft still in.  We then used the lathe to drill a hole in the center of the housing coaxial with the shaft.  Using a small piece of steel as a spacer and a 20 ton press, the shaft popped right out!
Ohio Northern University
SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 12:06pm
We try to avoid it as much as possible, we dont order anything from them at all unless we absolutely have to. The problem is that the next nearest Polaris dealership is over an hour from here.
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 12:24pm
I think you need a bigger hammer. Remember BFH not just FH, BFH. Part 6 is a retaining clip that has to be broken in order to get them out. Those clips expand after you slide the cv in all the way.
This picture came from www.cheapcycleparts.com We don't order anything through a dealer and all our oem parts come from that site, they have part diagrams for most oem's.
SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 5:19pm
Part 6? we are trying to get part 1 out of part 4.
blue2kss View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue2kss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2011 at 6:23pm

When I lengthend our Hawkeye 300 shafts I couldn't get the joint off either and welded it assembled.  Worked just fine.  Just welded hot and fast in the lathe to keep everything straight.  We also covered the boot in a cold wet cloth and I am sure that helped. 

Edited by blue2kss - May/13/2011 at 6:25pm
Dustin Bride
University of South Florida SAE Alumni/Consultant
Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 1:37am
Originally posted by ErikHardy ErikHardy wrote:

I think you need a bigger hammer. Remember BFH not just FH, BFH. Part 6 is a retaining clip that has to be broken in order to get them out. Those clips expand after you slide the cv in all the way.
This picture came from www.cheapcycleparts.com We don't order anything through a dealer and all our oem parts come from that site, they have part diagrams for most oem's.

looks like part # 5 is the retaining clip
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 10:04am
SteveA View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 10:16am
Well, finally got the shafts out, just like you all said it just takes a BFH. Now that we got them apart we can make our own shafts instead of having to weld them. :)
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 1:28pm
Anybody ever used one of these?

After a recent battle with a particularly stubborn set of axles, we're considering making one of these setups.
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 2:42pm
I like it

Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Greenreed1936 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenreed1936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2011 at 11:25am
We have a piece of 1.25 pipe that we use as a big slide hammer for removing the axles.  Just slip your axle into it and hammer both pieces down on a piece of wood to get the axle to break the retaining clip. 
SDSMT BAJA SAE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic