Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free SLA Suspension Kinematics Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

One and done

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free SLA Suspension Kinematics Program
    Posted: Mar/26/2011 at 9:27pm
MOD NOTE: See this post for a zip file of the completed MATLAB file with GUI.

I don't do Baja (I'm involved with a different project), but last year I wrote an SLA suspension kinematics program that I thought might be helpful for some SAE Baja (or FSAE) teams. It's free, under the GNU Public License.

Unfortunately, I do not have a place to host the file. Zipped, with the user's guide, it's only 185 kb. If anyone wants a copy, send me an email. If anyone is willing to host it, that would be even better.

Now, if you already use Lotus or ADAMS or something, this program is not for you. It's not nearly that powerful. It's pretty simplistic, it only calculates parameters for a quarter of the car, and only for SLA suspensions. This program is designed for someone who knows the very basics of MATLAB and nothing else. Of course, you need some vehicle dynamics knowledge to make use of the results. It might be helpful, it might be a pain in your ass, I just thought I would offer it up in case anyone is interested.

Program inputs (all at ride height):
- Upper A-arm ball joint locations
- Lower A-arm ball joint locations
- Wheel center & middle of tire @ ground plane locations
- Tie rod inner & outer ball joint locations
- Suspension travel
- Brake bias
- Brake type (inboard or outboard)
- Suspension type (front or rear)
- Wheelbase length
- CG height
(The last 5 are only used for calculating anti- features, assuming rear drive)

Program outputs:
Scalars
- Caster angle
- (Mechanical) Trail
- Kingpin angle
- Scrub
- Spindle length
Plots
- Suspension position throughout travel (front view)
- Suspension positions in jounce (3D view)
- Camber curve
- Bump steer curve
- Roll center height (assumes symmetric jounce/rebound)
- Roll center location during cornering (assumes opposite motion on opposite side of car)
- Front anti-dive (if applicable)
- Rear anti-squat (if applicable)
- Rear anti-lift (if applicable)

The kinematics are calculated numerically. I believe the errors in calculated positions to be on the order of a few thousandths, but the precision can be adjusted by the user.

Edited by Mod Squad - Dec/31/2012 at 2:19pm
RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2011 at 11:26pm
Nice work! Bump steer, scrub, travel etc are very applicable to off-road. The source code might be doing a lot of vector transformations to cycle the input model. Now where are your kinematic equations sourced from, a dynamics text?

While Baja SAE is about designing an ATV, I have debated with myself about the true value of knowing anti-features in off-road scenario, given that our low pressure tires as well as terrain are not rigid, but has give - elasticity, plasticity - provided with the fact that we have 9-9.5 HP. So I don't know if straight line acceleration potential will even pass +/- 0.5g for most teams. But it might come in handy if the car is sitting really low and you want to figure out the worst case clearance between bottom of the car and the ground.
-Ron George
Systems Engineer (Cummins Turbo)
shahpratik View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahpratik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2011 at 8:58am
Can you send your software program for suspension to my email id: shahpratik3@yahoo.com

chicostate View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicostate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2011 at 1:14pm
Hey would you mind sending your program my way? 

michaelman5119@gmail.com

Thanks

Mike
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2011 at 9:28am
Originally posted by RonGeorge RonGeorge wrote:

. . . I have debated with myself about the true value of knowing anti-features in off-road scenario, . . .

I know I'm replying to an old post, but I just read this and had to comment.

Anti-feature calculations are valuable for every longitudinal thrust on the wheel, not just braking and accelerating. Think about that for a while and you'll begin to imagine why knowing your anti's is important in different ways for off-road than for on-road design.
University of Rochester Alum
klusaebaja View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klusaebaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2011 at 9:42am
please send it to bharathallu@gmail.com cheers!
UBCBaja2011 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UBCBaja2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2011 at 8:28pm
Hi could you also send it to jay.haer@gmail.com
Thanks
Yony View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2011 at 5:12am
hi dear....your program is a very useful tool to get an idea how to do similar modelling for other types of suspension kinematics....it will be a great help, if you tell me, where i can download the program...

Thanx a lot!!

Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2011 at 5:05pm
bettner12@gmail.com
thanks!
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 3:41pm
ska913@gmail.com

Thank you in advance!! Big smile
Trial&Error View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trial&Error Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 8:44am
A copy to:

MechaniX_034@hotmail.com

please!

Thanks for that

Edited by Trial&Error - Aug/18/2011 at 8:45am
"When we said plumbing, we did NOT mean to put a cistern in the car!"
abenn View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 9:47am
could you please send a copy to andrewsbenn@gmail.com

thanks!
Andy Benn
Northeastern University Baja SAE
http://www.facebook.com/nubaja
http://www.numotorsports.com
teamsamra View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamsamra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 10:59am
Could you please send a copy to k.vignesh.krish@gmail.com

Thanks!!
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 3:36pm
Can you send a copy to anthonygambardella@gmail.com?  Thanks!
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
p.lewis View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2011 at 5:31pm
Could somebody please upload a copy of this on the forum. I'm just saying... then anybody could download it. Smile
University of Rochester Alum
Laxtondt View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laxtondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by p.lewis p.lewis wrote:

Could somebody please upload a copy of this on the forum. I'm just saying... then anybody could download it. 

Now that would just make too much sense.

or even a link to it stored somewhere else would work
Tyrell Laxton
TTU Baja (guy with the hair)
www.ttubaja.com
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 10:06am
I'm all for sharing knowledge... so I don't want this to come out the wrong way.

Developing your own simple program (excel, matlab, etc.) to do this stuff is not hard at all.  If I could do it, anyone can haha!  I know TTU has one, I had one, and I can promise you that by spending the time to study your vehicle dynamics books and generate the formulas you'll increase your knowledge of the system wayyy more than just downloading a freebie.  I mean that's why you're doing baja right?  To learn?  Yes, values and numbers and DATA are really cool and fun to spout off, but if you went to the work to completely understand them and become intimately involved with the calculations and your design... that's what a design judge likes to see.

So again, not knocking this program or any of the people asking to see it, but I think it should be used in conjunction with some actual thought of your own.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
OctoberSky View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OctoberSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 10:57am
I fully agree that the numbers are useless unless you know what they mean...but honestly, writing a matlab/other code to solve a huge number of vector calculations that boil down to simple mechanics seems like a waste of time unless you are doing it for a CS class or money (or you like coding).  The readily available programs work very well, are user friendly, solve quickly, and still provide numbers that are completely useless unless you know what they mean.  

For me, it's more important to know how to properly use tools rather than make my own. I'd rather spend time programming calculators that I can't get for free/cheap such as braking force, drivetrain reduction sizing and torque, gear stress calculation, compressive/buckling strength in suspension members and tie rods, etc.  Then again, if you are designing an innovative suspension that isn't one of the presets in these programs, then I think it would be appropriate to analyze it on your own.  

In the words of one of my favorite professors, a lazy engineer is an efficient engineer.  
UCLA Racing
2010-2012 Captain

"we'll never win mini baja" -Cheddar
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 10:19pm
The program I created is a simple one that takes spring rates, motion ratios, track widths, etc and calculates wheel rates and roll stiffness values.

I made it in excel in an afternoon.  In this particular situation it helped a bunch because it revealed some of the hidden interactions between the different parameters that affect the final values.

BTW this is a dead thread.  I don't think this guy ever came back to the forums.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2011 at 11:00pm
Excel was my weapon of choice too... I'm pretty sure you can run the world with an excel sheet or two. F it ever becomes self aware we're all screwed. Next gen MS Office = skynet im pretty sure.
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

DazedandConfuzed View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DazedandConfuzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2011 at 6:31pm
If possible, can you send me this program?

I would appreciate it

illpin37@uab.edu
enuf27 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enuf27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2011 at 7:00pm

Edited by enuf27 - Sep/15/2011 at 10:56pm
Brent
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 2:03am
Okay, so has anyone actually gotten the program? or did we get trolled by someone phishing for email addresses? 
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 9:01am
The guy actually visited the forum for the last time when he posted.
Maybe you could check his profile and send him an email (he's got an adress you can see)
Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 9:08am

I sent him a PM after his initial post but never received any kind of response.  Like Nick said maybe a direct email will work.  

Clinton, I nominate you.  Go.

-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

borssate View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Cain't read good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borssate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 12:08pm
Can you send a copy of the software to henrique.ribeiro@ufv.br?  Thanks!
dcarrero View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Cain't read good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcarrero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 3:04pm
Hi can you send me a copy to davidyo87@hotmail.com Thanks
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 3:08pm
Reading is so hard sometimes...
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2011 at 3:54pm
/thread.
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
Pride of the Dakotas View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Cain't read good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of the Dakotas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 1:44pm
Can you send a copy to daniel.towle@my.ndsu.edu?

Trying to find a good suspension analysis software
One that's preferably user friendly
tp View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Pride of the Dakotas Pride of the Dakotas wrote:

Trying to find a good suspension analysis software
One that's preferably user friendly

Not to derail this one, but I am absolutely in love with OptimumK. They have a pretty hefty student discount, it's extremely user friendly, it can analyze more parameters than you ever realized existed and either import or export points to and from your CAD model. 

Just something to think about....
-Tom

Oregon State BajaSAE Team Captain
jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 2:13pm
May help some people here

http://tinyurl.com/3exdvmc
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
OMARZIANE View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter
Cain't read good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMARZIANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 10:06am
Hi,
Thanks for the great work and for offering it to everyone.
I'll really would apreciate if you send me a copy to "omar.ziane@formulauem.es"

Thanks

Omar ZIANE
Formulauem team (European University of Madrid)
Suspension team Manager

Edited by OMARZIANE - Nov/30/2011 at 10:07am
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 2:47pm
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.  THERE IS NO SOFTWARE.  THIS GUY POSTED THIS THEN NEVER CAME BACK.  LET IT DIE ALREADY.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 3:07pm

Lock?

Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2011 at 3:30pm
Quite an interesting thread.

Guy creates FREE suspension kinematics program.
Guy posts about said program in Baja SAE forum.
Guy claims he doesn't have anywhere to host the 185kB file. (Users get 20MB of storage space here...)
One hour. fifty three minutes later, guy posts same thing on FSAE.com.
Guy never signs into either forum again, even though his profile is set up to send him emails of replies to his thread.

The odd thing is guy exists, so it isn't a prank.

----------
Upon further internet sleuthing. I have found the program. It is called SLASIM. It is Mr. Wolfe's thesis. https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/handle/1811/45363?mode=full
The program runs in Matlab. The basic source code is in Appendix A. Looks like the GUI portion is missing, but you may be able to run the program directly.
mgoodman View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Illiterate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2012 at 9:07pm
Can you please send a copy to michelle_in_rio@hotmail.com!

Thank you!
sandres913 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandres913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 10:34am
This guy probably just submitted all our email addresses to various "funny" sites...which would explain why my Gmail spam folder is constantly over 9000
Ankit8500 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter
Illiterate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ankit8500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 6:41am
can you please send me a copy at ankit8500@gmail.com
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 12:38pm
What can I say? Locked.
stooge View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 10:08pm
SLASIM.zip

While looking for a suspension kinematic program, I ran across the following thread in this forum:

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/free-sla-suspension-kinematics-program_topic688.html

I created the missing MATLAB GUI file and thought it might be of use to someone.

Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 12:37pm
So it seems as if this has come full circle. A GUI has been created and you can run the program. I'm going to unlock this thread for the time being.

Warning: If you join this forum and immediately ask where to get the software, as countless other have done before - You'll be banned and your post deleted.

Edited by Mod Squad - Feb/13/2013 at 10:44am
vovesoinmori1 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vovesoinmori1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 10:36pm
it would be amazing if you could share the software: vovesoinmori1@hotmail.com
thank you!!SmileTongue
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:21am
Please read literally the 2 posts before you. the one directly before you says don't join the forum and immediately ask where to get the software or you will be banned... You did exactly what it said not to. the post literally before that has the link as the first thing typed. 

in the future, before posting, read through THE ENTIRE THREAD and see if the information you are after is already there. If you are too lazy to read even the last 2 posts in a thread, maybe you should consider a different career path as there is zero tolerance for shortcuts in engineering. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic