Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2011 Rule B8.3.8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011 Rule B8.3.8
    Posted: Sep/10/2010 at 12:18pm
B8.3.8 Fore/Aft Bracing (FAB) 

Members used in the FAB system must no exceed 1016mm (40in.) in unsupported lenght. Triangulation angles (projected to the elevation view) must not exceed 20ยบ.

2010 Rule: 

31.2.8 Roll Hoop Bracing (FAB)

The roll hoop shall be braced in the front and/or rear. The hoop must be braced on both right and left sides. From a side view, the bracing must be trianguled, with the maximum lenght of any member not to exceed 101.6cm (40 inches) between attachment points. From a side view, the angles of the triangulation must be no less than 20 degrees. A bent tube cannot exceed 81.3cm (32 inches) in total lenght and the bend shall no exceed 30 degrees. 

is this ok? According to my interpretation these two rules refer to the same angle, one rule restricts a superior limit and the other an inferior. 

I have the doubt because it looks weird to me that there's such a radical change from last year rules. 

any help about this? maybe Im misundertood. 
asims View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 1:09pm
I contacted bajarules@sae.org and they told me this is a typo.  The correct wording should be that angles must be greater than 20*.  An official announcement is supposed to come out soon.
Andrew Sims
University of Arizona
wishin4snow View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wishin4snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 1:42pm
I was wondering the same thing when I read that part a couple weeks ago. I was looking at our old frame and it was 25 degrees and wondered how we got away with that.
-Kevin
Pennsylvania College of Technology

"Hold 'er dubya"
rohanlakhotia46 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohanlakhotia46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 2:40pm
does this mean that the triangulation angle for the front bracing should be between 20 degrees to 30 degrees?

-rohan
Rohan Lakhotia

`The 46 Doctor`

TEAM JAABAZ

Vellore Institute Of Technology

vellore,t.n., INDIA

Car #42 (kansas)
asims View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 2:50pm
There's no explicitly stated upper bound, but based on the other constraints of the frame, you probably wouldn't want to go past 45 degrees or so.
Andrew Sims
University of Arizona
Amrit George View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amrit George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2010 at 3:08am
Hi.... my doubt was regarding the triangulation angles for the front bracing members.
is the 20 degree angle the one between the FBM up and the FAB or is it it between the FAB and
the vertical?? 
 i have posted a sketch below of the side view .....    

Greenreed1936 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenreed1936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2010 at 10:25am
It is the angle between the FBM up and the FAB. 

One of ours was designed very close to that, as to the idea of 20.5*

Lets just say, we had to let it settle a few times to make sure the go-no-go gauge worked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic