Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > File Depot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gaged CVT Model

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth.mandeville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gaged CVT Model
    Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:36am
I spent about a day modeling this.  The hardest part was the helix.

SDTech View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 10:30am
I'm glad I'm not the only one that spent a long time with a caliper and SolidWorks modeling those clutches.  How did you end up doing the helix?  If I remember right I used the wrap feature.

SDSMT Baja SAE
Car #'s 4 & 6 - Oregon
Car # 14 - Wisconsin

#4 & #79 - Western Washington

2010-2011 SDSM&T Team Lead
kenneth.mandeville View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth.mandeville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 10:35am
I ended up just drawing a helix curve and using a cut sweep.  This was really frustrating because you had to put in pitch instead of angle.  I could not get the warp feature right because all of the ramps have two angles.
johnpate01 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnpate01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 6:17pm
Very nice work.  Those look great.
-John

Co-Captain, Team Tennessee 2008-2010
RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 11:55am
Thank you for your work!
-Ron George
Systems Engineer (Cummins Turbo)
Bi-Brow View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-Brow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 8:21pm
Wrap is gold.  I would post my CVTech with shifting configurations and working ratios but they aren't rendered Cry.  I guess it is a Gaged thread as well.

Edited by Bi-Brow - Jul/31/2010 at 12:26am
Cummins XPI Pump Development Engineer
2012 Midnight Mayhem Coordinator
2008-2010 UofL Baja Captain
2011 Powertrain
mgv6260 View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgv6260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 12:10am
Bi-Brow can I get a copy of that? 
SJoelzio View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJoelzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:52pm
Can someone post the weight's drawing?
RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by SJoelzio SJoelzio wrote:

Can someone post the weight's drawing?

Why don't you just generate it from the 3d model? I've uploaded it here :
Main assembly : http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/Download-Model.aspx?catalogid=171&id=207582
You'll find parts for that assembly here : http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/Contributors.aspx?id=1010706

I'm new to 3d content central so I'm not sure how else I can share this with you. Let me know. Hope this helps.

-Ron George
SJoelzio View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJoelzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 6:30pm
Thanks a lot Ron.

It seems that more people were needing the model, since this was downloaded 7 times.
Is that a drawing of the tungsten weight that you use or of the steel weight that is used in Drag Jr.?

I'm thinking of using steel weights and don't know if they will fit correctly the 4-arm Gaged GX-9.

RonGeorge View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by SJoelzio SJoelzio wrote:

Thanks a lot Ron.

It seems that more people were needing the model, since this was downloaded 7 times.
Is that a drawing of the tungsten weight that you use or of the steel weight that is used in Drag Jr.?

I'm thinking of using steel weights and don't know if they will fit correctly the 4-arm Gaged GX-9.

People want stuff. That's okay. But some buggers don't want to ask for it though, nor do they want to put time into making it.

Space is a big constraint in the clutch as you don't want the weights to hit the sides of the cap inhibiting radius arm articulation. Tungsten can lend a dense weight in a minimum space. That's what we used. This stuff can be pricey and needs to be turned and ground to get the right shape. You may be able to get away with steel but figure out what weights you need, calculate the volume of material needed and see if steel will be a fit.
-Ron George
danilow View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danilow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2010 at 2:59pm
Thank you for it! It was really useful. 

I have a question, how do you know what steel is each part?

You selected SAE 1010 for the bolt, i'm thinking about put 2 weights... I would have to make another bolt, a bigger one to let me have one weight in each side of the system... 

What do you think? Would it fit? It was made with the same dimensions you made the tungsten one, but it's a cylinder. I think there is the same space in each side, so if one side fits, the other would fit too.

Edited by danilow - Oct/24/2010 at 3:01pm
schooter View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 3:08pm
I'm working with Gaged right now to get the GX9 for this season. Would you be willing to upload the primary clutch? It would save me probably a few phone calls to Gaged.

Thanks,
Chase Schuette
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chaseschuette/
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 6:26pm
Gaged doesn't have a solid model that they send out, just to save you the effort.

Edited by CLReedy21 - Nov/15/2010 at 6:27pm
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
sylvioks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylvioks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 10:53am
Very nice job!

could you post the gaged drive file on 3dcontent? becouse I had only found the driven file

thanks so much

Edited by sylvioks - Feb/08/2011 at 12:31pm
Vitoria Baja
Pedro UFPBaja View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 4:54pm
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/GtBQeix7/GagedGX8driveDriven.html

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Feb/08/2011 at 4:55pm
Former Team Captain
sylvioks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylvioks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 5:00pm
I know Pedro, but I want the drive modeled like this driven on firsts posts.  I want a detailed, not only the external apearence.

may somebody could give me the link?

thanks
Vitoria Baja
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 5:49pm

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/20/2015 at 6:25pm
Former Team Captain
Mod Squad View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master
Mutant Enforcer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mod Squad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Pedro UFPBaja Pedro UFPBaja wrote:

Intradusiveu:

Tu ke o ku e ainda ke rapadow?
iauheiauheiauheaiuehiuh

dezeinha aew pow.

So binks heim...
pros manolo fikah loku s/ intedê

lol wut?  Sounds like you got hacked by a ChiGerman activist.

I would appreciate it if the primary language was kept in English. Makes it easier to stay on one linguistic page.
João Araujo View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote João Araujo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2011 at 7:50pm
LoL,
That's only a little joke in redneck portuguese decipherable only by Brazilians.

Edited by João Araujo - Feb/09/2011 at 7:50pm
UFPBaja Team - Brazil
sylvioks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylvioks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 3:11pm
If have one,  it gone be easy to be modeled!  but.. I still have no one!

So I will keep my request.

if someone could help me, instead talk some bullsheats, I'll  appraciate!

thanks so much

Vitoria Baja
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote João Araujo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 3:54pm
Relax, and Pedro helped sending you the outer design. 

That at least can give you an idea if you can use it on your car, why would you need the inner design if you don't have the cvt to use?

He was joking and even so our team helps any team that asks if we can.

Differently than some teams we know that contact with other teams is one of the most important (if not the most) important things in baja.

Instead of keeping it to ourselves, we shared information on basically every topic, that's all on our website, and the 4shared folder i know you have downloaded (i created it).

And we allways help anyone that asks, even questions that have already been answered.

We will not give you the complete design, but if you ask we could help out with the reason why you need it, (if you don't get upset but a harmless joke, istead of thankful for the help).

Edited by João Araujo - Feb/10/2011 at 6:46pm
UFPBaja Team - Brazil
SDTech View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 6:42pm
If you're talking about my model from the beginning of the thread, my response will be the same as some of the other guys.  I can give you basic outside dimensions if you want to make sure it will fit in your car or something, but beyond that it is staying within our team.  We had to spend $1K on a set of clutches to get that info.
SDSMT Baja SAE
Car #'s 4 & 6 - Oregon
Car # 14 - Wisconsin

sylvioks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylvioks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 10:11am
thanks Joao.

The main reason I want the internal design is:  we would like to modify our cvtech, and we know the gaged is one of the best cvt.

Sdtech, I undertood your reason, but  why have you..or i dont know who post the driven.. and dont want to post the drive?

if here in brazil the gaged or another one coust "only" 1k, we would buy severals cvts.. to you get one idea.. to buy a gaged, here, we will need to spent about 5k, and we realy cant afford it! so the idea is.. modify the cvtech to get more performance!

thanks
Vitoria Baja
SDTech View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 1:14pm
I haven't posted any of my models online, I'm not sure whose that one is.  Why the huge price difference, is the exchange rate that bad?  Or is the extra cost in the import/export or something?
SDSMT Baja SAE
Car #'s 4 & 6 - Oregon
Car # 14 - Wisconsin

sylvioks View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylvioks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 2:04pm
so.. some one other forum member did.

here im brazil.. imports are preaty complicated..

look.. gaged gx8 cost in us about $850.00

the shipping to brazil cost abaut $250 to 300

the import taxes here is 60% ( price of the part + shippiment)

so.. we will have.. $1150

1 dollar is 1.8 reais

so... gaged without  sell profit will cost 3312 reais

the seller will want to profit about 80%

so.. gaged cost for us ( common buyer)  5961 reais!

is preaty difficult for us to afford it.. 

the cvtech,, on the sponsor program.. that cost $100 on canada.. we payed 3k in brazil

Vitoria Baja
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote João Araujo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 4:00pm
it's around 2.5 K here, because the taxes are very high, and shipping expensive.

5K he meant in BRL, not um USD.

You cant modify CVTech to work as a gaged, they use very different designs.

Remember, the seller also have to pay taxes to sell, so they don't profit that much.

In portuguese: (ele vai ter que gerar a nota que custa uns 15% do valor da venda, mais uns 30% de imposto de renda, sem contar os custos operacionais para pregão/manter a empresa podendo vender para instituição federal)

Edited by João Araujo - Feb/11/2011 at 4:03pm
UFPBaja Team - Brazil
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 4:38pm
you really do not understand foreign trade

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/20/2015 at 6:26pm
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 4:51pm

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/20/2015 at 6:26pm
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by sylvioks sylvioks wrote:

thanks Joao.

The main reason I want the internal design is:  we would like to modify our cvtech, and we know the gaged is one of the best cvt.

I missed that part ...
This is completely absurd, they are are totally different.
Is easier to make an exclusive cvt.

and

There is no better.
Gaged is the lightest,
Comet is the cheapest.
Polaris is the most adjustable.

The best is the one better suited to the requirements of your car.

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Feb/11/2011 at 6:52pm
Former Team Captain
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote João Araujo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2011 at 8:27pm
The best one is the one you made your car for and best tuned for your car.

FEI uses CVTech, Poli-USP uses comet 790, OSU uses Polaris.....
UFPBaja Team - Brazil
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2011 at 11:01pm
In fact FEI only use driver CVTech (model 2007, severely modified and a driven Polaris (Team Industries).

The POLI USP uses a Comet and is also modified, mainly driven pulley.

Another very fast car, UMCP uses a driver pulley Polar and a driven Gaged.

No matter which model you use. The important is to tune it

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Feb/13/2011 at 2:14am
Former Team Captain
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2011 at 11:51pm
Crap man, you Brazilians if nothing if not well aware of what's out there.  :)  I didn't realize that UMCP ran a Polar/Gaged hybrid for '10.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

jeiB View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 12:06am
Can we move all this discussion to the CVT thread (maybe this one http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/preferred-cvt_topic140.html)

I dont even know what a polar cvt is !
Jeremie B.
McGill Baja Racing
2009-2011 Captain
minibaja.mcgill.ca
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 1:41am
Meet the Polar

Edited by Pedro UFPBaja - Apr/20/2015 at 6:28pm
Former Team Captain
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro UFPBaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 5:22am
Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

Shocked
shame on you, that's a canadian gadget. Big smile
Former Team Captain
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by jeiB jeiB wrote:

Can we move all this discussion to the CVT thread (maybe this one http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/preferred-cvt_topic140.html)

You need to do more digging!Wink  There are several other CVTs out there that aren't represented in Baja. Most are from the junior dragster world.  They just call them clutches instead of CVTs typically.

Edited by dillon_b12 - Feb/13/2011 at 8:34pm
ErikHardy View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikHardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2011 at 11:01pm
How much does that Polar clutch weigh?
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2011 at 12:09am
I'd say it's probably similar to a Gaged.  Although the Gaged is pretty much just a US interpretation of a Polar clutch.  After doing some research it seems that the Polar primary/Gaged secondary is about an ideal combo from my point of view.  Polar seems like it would have a little better primary efficiency than a Gaged due to the sliding friction on the post but the Gaged secondary with the caged multi angle helix has a definite advantage for the secondary.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

sconi View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sconi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:01am
Correction: The Best design revolves around a CVT designed for your specific car/competition. I understand the difficulties, but why settle for drawbacks if you can design them out?, or severely improve those specific drawbacks.

University of Michigan Ann Arbor has had a custom Secondary for many years now, but i believe this past year they designed their own Primary as well.

Also, Michigan Tech sported a custom CVT (primary and secondary) in Rochester last year.

Meanwhile many teams are altering their CVT's to get improved performance, not just tuning.

Edited by sconi - Feb/15/2011 at 5:13pm
JorgeRodriguez View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JorgeRodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 11:27pm
Hi!!
Could you tell me where do I can the draft of the driver, I am searching the dimensions or either the cad model of the driver, I have found the driven one but i am missing the dirver pulley

Thank you
sachu.kg View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sachu.kg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2015 at 3:56pm
may i know the specs of GX9 geged cvt?

Abhimanyu j View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abhimanyu j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2015 at 9:13am
can anyone suggest any site for ordering geged cvt
Santusht View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santusht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Abhimanyu j Abhimanyu j wrote:

can anyone suggest any site for ordering geged cvt

http://www.gagedengineering.com/ might be a good place to start.

Edited by Santusht - Apr/18/2015 at 11:23am
swaroop View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swaroop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 2:10pm
Anyone please upload the catalog of gaged cvt !
vatsa1996 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vatsa1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2017 at 6:55am
In the gauged website the primary and secondary spring are represented by Lbs whereas I need it in terms of N*m/Rad for Torsional spring and N/m for Stall Spring in Driving pulley. How should I convert it?
Bettner12 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettner12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2017 at 9:30am
Yes
Penn College of Technology Alumni

Maryland 2018 Organizer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic