Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Force Selection for FEA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaloneyx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Force Selection for FEA
    Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 7:29am
All,

I am junior at my respective university and have not taken my 400 level engineering classes yet. However, I have been with my BAJA team for a couple years now and have been tasked with running the FEA on some suspension components for this years design. Each year I have sat through design presentations, everyone's reasoning for force selection has been lacking. Before I dive into literature, I was wondering what a conservative method is for force selection? I am mainly concerned with impact from another car and general forces like compression/tension on trailing arms through acceleration/deceleration. I am running my FEA through solid works for reference.

Thanks in advance.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 7:56am
youre going to want to dive into that literature. calculating your theoretical max loads is the only way to do it properly. sit down with a sketch pad and draw out different ways that a force could act on the system and then determine approximately what the magnitude is of that force and add a safety factor. I would recommend setting up the FEA using multibodies and modeling the entire system together (Quarter car systems). this will give you the most accurate results as well as you will not have to calculate the load on individual components. 

McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic