Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame/drive train members below base plane??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osfetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame/drive train members below base plane??
    Posted: Oct/28/2019 at 9:10am
Is it allowable to have components hang below the base plane of the vehicle? For example, if a pulley was below member FABlow, could the frame be bumped out to surround it?
bracer View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 11:42am
From what I remember, yes, you can have components hang below the base plane of the frame, just as long as they are not safety related. But do you really want a critical piece of the drive train such as a pulley in a location that can get broke by an hitting something?
osfetter View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osfetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 12:12pm
Well the idea was to surround critical afotmetioned parts by frame members so they don't get bashed, and that's where I'm concerned with a rule infraction.
bracer View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2019 at 9:35am
***THIS IS MY INTERPRETATION OF THE RULE, FOR OFFICIAL INTERPRETATIONS, SEND AN INQUIRY ON BAJASAE.NET*****

Rule B.3.2.13.2 is where the bulk of the rear bracing rules are located. Most teams use points B, S,and R for the structural triangle. This allows you to connect back to point A with multiple joined members, and this defines the FAB_low. 

According to rule B.3.2.5, you do not need to have any LC in the FAB_low, so any tube you place connecting both sides is up to you and *should be able to be below the FAB_low.

Again, this is my interpretation of the rules as a recent grad. You can send pictures of your frame ideas on your rules questions to bajasae.net. They might take awhile to get an answer, but then it will be correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic