Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RHO/FBM Design Concern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RHO/FBM Design Concern
    Posted: Jan/02/2019 at 10:11pm
We happened to overlook a detail of the RHO/FBM connection. To save time, our issue is our point C, which in a bent member is designated as the start of the bend, to our point D measures 35.36". We can change our RHO length from 27" to 33" which then puts our C-D bent member length under 33" but our cockpit ends up like a legit box, and that looks dumb and would like to attempt at making it work by not doing that.

My question is, does connection RHO/FBM fall under the statement "Small bend radii (<152 mm or 6 in.) that terminate at Named Points are expected, and are not considered to make a member bent, regardless of angle" assuming our angle is under 5". Or is C-D not subject to a bent member max length of 33"?

Any thoughts?

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/uploads/4395/Screenshot_232.png

uploads/4395/Screenshot_232.png - uploads/4395/Screenshot_232.png

Edited by FSP - Jan/02/2019 at 10:36pm
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 4:31pm
"Bent members may not have a bend greater than 30 deg. that does not occur at a Named Point; and may not extend longer than 838 mm (33 in.) between Named Points or comply with Rule B.3.2.4 - Additional Support Members. Small bend radii (<152 mm or 6 in.) that terminate at Named Points are expected, and are not considered to make a member bent, regardless of angle. A bend that terminates at a Named Point implies the point lies at or between the points of tangency of the bend, as shown in Figure B-2."

as long as that bend rad is 6" or less, both the RHO and FBM are considered straight members and must conform to those rules. Also to note, member lengths are measured from inflection points of the centerlines, so not how you are measuring in your picture. 

As always, these are my interpretation of the rules based on my reading of the rule book (limited for this year as I don't really give a sh*t anymore, though I did read this section to help you) and should be used at your own risk and not taken as law as I am not a technical inspector. for an official answer that can be used during a challenge at technical inspection, please submit an official rules clarification question to the technical inspectors using the method outlined in the rules book. 

Best of luck.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic