Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very high altitude Baja

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fliegen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very high altitude Baja
    Posted: Nov/22/2018 at 9:49pm
Hello everyone,

we are a new team from Tibet, and we're looking to compete in Baja SAE China next year. I am the faculty advisor, and I have 5 years of prior FSAE experience.

We're at 3650m (12000ft for you) in Lhasa, and I believe we're the highest baja racing team in the world. But that means we only have 65kPa of air to work with, and the Briggs engine is down to about 6hp. Therefore we are looking at ways to get more power.

I have some questions:

1. If you remove the governer from the stock Briggs, how high does it go? How much power is it good for? Using the torque figures I estimate that it would take 6000rpm to get the original 10hp back. And I doubt it can go there, so that leads to the next question.

2. Is a Vanguard V-twin bolt-on compatible with the one we use? I have searched the forum and many posts state that it's "nearly fully compatible", but I couldn't find more details.

3. Is a Bajamula still doable today? I have looked through the rules, and it seems to me that a Baja chassis can be designed to be compatible with FSAE rules with minimal compromise. It does state that a FSAE car has to be "open cockpit, formula style", and I'm not sure if a Baja car qualifies there.

I will definitely open a "build thread" when things start going.

Thanks
Nick914 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2018 at 9:36am
The engine can reach 6000 rpm (backwards governer will do that for you), but you won't want to be there when that happens... I would expect it to throw a rod or something pretty fast.

The V-twin is bigger in volume, it might work but you'll have to account for that.

Nicholas Lefebvre

Universite Laval
fliegen View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fliegen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 2:33am
Thank you very much.

Does anyone have experience supercharging the engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic