Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is a standard gearbox?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelGregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a standard gearbox?
    Posted: Mar/30/2018 at 1:15am
So I had to find out the approximate dimensions of a standard gearbox, but I have no clue where to begin. There are too many models out there, what exactly is a standard gearbox for Baja, are there any particular models that constitute a standard gearbox?
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 2:40am
Joel, I'd start by laying out what the goal of what you want your drivetrain to do. From there how do you get from your engine to the tires? Take a look at how go-karts, cars, trains transmit power. There are many ways to get that sweet torque transmitted such as a 4 bar linkage, gears, chain and sprocket, belt pulley systems, or a combination of the items listed before. Gearboxes are nothing new and there are plenty of resources out there to see what has already been done in the past. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design and give it a read. 

Hopefully that helps!
Cheers,
Andrew Raudabaugh
-Cyclone Off Road Racing 2013-18
-Aspiring Lottery Winner
-Just show up and do things
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic