Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Semi-Trailing Arm Shock Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi-Trailing Arm Shock Mount
    Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 6:16pm
Hello all,

I am currently trying to determine the placement of my shock mount location. I had initially planned to place the mount on the bearing cup. But i am working on figuring out how to determine if this geometry will work or not. Is there a particular way one should decide where the shock mount should be located?

Thank you for any assistance!

RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2017 at 10:46am
all based on your design requirements. Ideally as close to the bearing as possible as this will reduce the bending moment that your arm sees. be mindful of the space needed by the rim though and the diameter of the shock. some more space can be had by running different rim offsets, however be wary of the effect this has on the forces everything sees.
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
Andy.R View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy.R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2017 at 3:21pm
To play devil's advocate, placing it closer to a 2:1 leverage ratio will give you a higher frequency which can help in jumping , whoops, and pretty much any obstacle. There is no perfect place, it is a bunch of trade offs. You need to decide what the goal of your suspension is and what it is trying to maximize and minimize. Good cornering? Extreme lightweight? 
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2017 at 3:36pm
I initially wanted to position it exactly in this manner due to the reasons you stated, however it would seem that our shocks may not be long enough to position it this way and still maintain a good angle for the shock. 
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2017 at 8:01am
The frequency of the suspension is not just tied to the shock position though. it also depends on your unsprung weight, and the stiffness of the shock. 
Team Captain 2012-2015
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by RLM RLM wrote:

The frequency of the suspension is not just tied to the shock position though. it also depends on your unsprung weight, and the stiffness of the shock. 

Thanks for this thought as well. After some mock up with a cardboard template, and finally receiving the correct location of the differential from the drivetrain group it was realized the arm lengths were a little too long anyhow. With the arms moved somewhat in and shortened it is being looked into if the shock will in fact be long enough for mounting on/right in front of the bearing cup
dp123 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 8:31pm
I am having trouble determining the mounting location of my coil over shocks on the trailing arm. Can anyone assist?
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 11:14am
did you not figure that out while designing the trailing arm?
Team Captain 2012-2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic