FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radius Rods for Pure Trailing Arm Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radius Rods for Pure Trailing Arm Design
    Posted: Dec/29/2016 at 6:14pm
I believe what you are speaking of is basically what our team did last year. Attempting to have only one radius rod and then the axle. This worked okay minus the allignment issues that occurred during fabrication, this is actually the design I am attempting to improve upon!
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 7:59am
By using U-Joints, you can then use the axle as the lower control arm. see Michigan Ann Arbor 2016 car and a few other cars in the past. 
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2016 at 5:01pm
Oh okay, I am still new to suspension so thought it was just some variation of a pure-trailing arm. But now I see that it is 3 link. We will be using U Joints this year. I can see where binding could occur with the U joints as you say. This was just an idea I had tossed around and now seeing it makes it clear there would be some compatibility issues.
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2016 at 8:00am
What you are referring to here is commonly know as a 3 link suspension. a huge number of teams in baja run this style. there are no binding issues if done properly. when you did this with a single Camber link, did you use U-Joints in the axle and thus the axle became the second link? I dont see how you could do a single arm with CV's. If you did use Ujoint axle, in order to go to a three link design you will likely need to go to CV style or telescoping axle, otherwise you would over-constrain the system. I suppose you could design a system that would work with UJoints, but your assembly and manufacturing would have to be bang on and there would be no adjustability. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

As a point of note, there are a few road cars that run this system as well. might be worth looking at those as well.

McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 4:09pm
The picture below shows the radius rod configuration with the normal rods on the left and the high clearance rods on the right
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 3:49pm
The picture below shows the orientation I am implying on the left, and then on the right is the high clearance style radius rods aftermarket companies have developed for the razor.

- result for polaris rzr radius rods

AG_ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 12:23pm
Kind of hard to visualize, could you maybe sketch it out? Would get you more valuable responses.
Ariel
Suspension/Engineering on Ryerson Baja
Suspension on Ryerson Formula racing
TomRob View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 5:19pm
Hello everyone,

Last year our team used a pure-trailing arm rear suspension design with one Radius Rod. This caused some issues during the competition and I was wondering if any teams have done a similar design to that of a Polaris RZR in which two radius rods are utilized, one on top and one on the bottom of the trailing arm? 

Two issues I can see arising from this design is if the mount points were not at an ideal angle there could be binding of the arm and also ground clearance issues. A solution to this I have thought is designing them in the style of the High Clearance rods many aftermarket companies have been producing.

Any input on this design would be very appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic