Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reclaasification of LFS as primary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinayJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reclaasification of LFS as primary
    Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 6:41am
The recently realeased rulebook for the 2015 competition reclassifies the LFS as primary member.
Till last year,LFS was a secondary member.
Is this a mistake?Shocked
We would have to cut down our LFS if this is so?Cry
Clutch96 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clutch96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 1:26pm

I just noticed this today as well and am freaking out for the same reasons! I am trying to hope that it's a mistake but traditionally, the SAE makes changes like this to the rules without making note of it; than again, I feel like changing this rule, knowing many schools will re-use there frames this year, and not making a note of it with some sort of explanation would be down right dirty... let alone professional.

Lets hope someone see's this thread and clarifies this.

AndyRIT View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyRIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 4:20pm
Email the rules committee?
RIT Baja SAE Alumni 04'-09'
RIT Baja Team Manager 06'-08'
2010 RIT Track builder
2011 CAT/IL Comp Team Leader
2012 Wis vol
2013 RIT Track Builder
Diesel Calibration Engineer-Kohler Engines
rasmuet View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rasmuet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 10:09pm
I don't believe that this was a mistake. I think it could have been induced by our rear frame that was made of secondary members breaking at Kansas.  If the driver compartment is also allowed to be secondary and somehow that is able to break, then this is a safety effort.
Erik
Iowa State Baja 2011-Dec 2014
Drivetrain Design 2013, 2014, 2015
2014 Kansas - Car #45 - 1st Place Endurance
VinayJ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinayJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 1:02am
Got a Reply from the Rules Committee.This is what the official had to say

"This is not a mistake. It was changed this year to complete the ring around the driver."

I think a lot of teams will probably have to modify their rollcage or build a new one.Cry

VinayJ View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinayJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 1:04am
kcooper273 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kcooper273 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by rasmuet rasmuet wrote:

I don't believe that this was a mistake. I think it could have been induced by our rear frame that was made of secondary members breaking at Kansas.  If the driver compartment is also allowed to be secondary and somehow that is able to break, then this is a safety effort.

I kinda figured this was a driving factor, I don't believe you guys were the only ones to have this happen though. This creates a lot of work in the off season now for a lot of teams!
Michigan Tech Baja 2010-Dec 2014 Victory Lap: Auburn 2015. 2nd Victory Lap Maryland 2015 (Peer Pressure)

CYS Motorsports-TORC Super Stock Truck #873
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic