Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > SAE Sanctioned Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2010 Event Locations and Scheduling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 Event Locations and Scheduling
    Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 3:03pm

Hello All,

Just a quick question, is the June event really going to have flotation?  Traditionally this is the event that is the midwest style race.  Also South Carolina which traditionally should have water, will not.  Is this schedule correct? 

Thanks to everyone on a great 2009 Baja SAE season! Tentative dates and locations for the 2010 Baja SAE season are below:

·         Baja SAE South Carolina - April 8-11; Hosted by SAE Carolina Section, Greenville, SC
     ·         Baja SAE Washington (Sales Presentation Event) - May 19-22; Hosted by Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
     ·         Baja SAE New York (Water Event) - June 10-13; Hosted by Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY

Thanks,

Adam
Adam Baumgartner
Social Media Director, #BajaMaryland
Test Driver, Honda R&D Americas Inc
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
GT Steve View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 3:12pm

Adam,

I talked with one of the orgainizers for the South Carolina event at Auburn and they will definatly not be having water.  They looked into that possibility and couldn't get approval from the city (the competition will be within the city limits of Greenville, SC on a yet-to-be-developed industrial park). 

We have run the flotation event in Rochester before (2005 i believe, and it was COLD), we floated across the pond the track uses to spray down the track, not terribly long (not Ocala), but its not Auburn's pond from 2006 either. 

I'm excited to have two events within a day's drive from VA next year, would be fun to see both events again.

Stephen
GT Off-Road Alumni
Georgia Tech ME'07

Bigger Hammer Engineering
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 3:13pm
that information (posted on the sae international site) reflects what I heard from Sam B. at the race.
Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
jhu42 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the info guys,

I'm glad to hear that this is going to be the setup.  I am interested in seeing how top teams from this years Wisconsin race do in water!!!

Should be good.  Yeah, Baltimore is pretty central between those two places as well.
Adam Baumgartner
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
smock View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 3:30pm
Looks like a fun drive from Arizona... Sheesh...
Andrew Smock
Design Engineer
John Deere Commercial Products
Augusta, GA
UA Baja Team Leader 2006-2009
UA SAE President 2010
www.uabaja.com
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 4:29pm
Lets see those 20" Brazilian pizza cutter tires move some water eh?

Unfortunately TTU won't make it to west this year.  SC and NY are on track for sure though.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
asims View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by smock smock wrote:

Looks like a fun drive from Arizona... Sheesh...

Damn, if only it was a week later I could justify flying :D

Of course if we went to New York and tried our luck at floating...  Its only a 35 hour drive, not counting stops!

Edited by asims - Jul/14/2009 at 10:57pm
Andrew Sims
University of Arizona
johnfar109 View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfar109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 11:19pm
i will be working on the Rochester Race This year we are going to try and put a bit more time in to track prep. i know i went to the Rochester race as a freshmen and remember the carnage wit the floats. we are going to try and one up that. Seeing as the race is in June and not April the water and weather should be a bit nicer this time around. I will Keep you all posted as we get closer
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 1:14am
I really want to see FEI show up with a float and see how well they do.
Michael

No Monkeys f**king footballs
charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 8:04am
I suppose they'll participate in SC instead... The 3 places reserved for brazil may not be for the water event.
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 10:07am
Originally posted by jhu42 jhu42 wrote:

Hello All,

Just a quick question, is the June event really going to have flotation?  Traditionally this is the event that is the midwest style race.  Also South Carolina which traditionally should have water, will not.  Is this schedule correct? 

Thanks to everyone on a great 2009 Baja SAE season! Tentative dates and locations for the 2010 Baja SAE season are below:

·         Baja SAE South Carolina - April 8-11; Hosted by SAE Carolina Section, Greenville, SC
     ·         Baja SAE Washington (Sales Presentation Event) - May 19-22; Hosted by Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
     ·         Baja SAE New York (Water Event) - June 10-13; Hosted by Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY

Thanks,

Adam

Where did you get those dates?
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 10:23am
sae international's website, bottom of the most recent news topic on the baja page... congratulatory remarks to OSU I think?
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

jhu42 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 11:22am
Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

sae international's website, bottom of the most recent news topic on the baja page... congratulatory remarks to OSU I think?

Yes, that's where I got if from.

Direct Link: 

See the bottom of the linked page for the dates
Adam Baumgartner
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by jhu42 jhu42 wrote:

Originally posted by collinskl1 collinskl1 wrote:

Yes, that's where I got if from.

Direct Link: 

See the bottom of the linked page for the dates

Righteous, thanks for the link...
iwm View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2009 at 4:12pm
The first event is pushed another week earlier from the previous year (same thing was done last year).  Sure doesn't help things...but I guess the job will always fill the time allotted for it.
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2009 at 4:14pm
No kidding.  At least the water isn't that early, especially in New York.

Maybe in a couple years they'll be having a rolling chassis Fred Flinstone style competition over Christmas Break...
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 9:44am

Here's an update:  all races are now $1000 to register... This is going to be interesting.

Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 11:41am
Are you serious?  Where did you get that info??

I'll check the SAE site now...
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
EAD Motorsports View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAD Motorsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 12:02pm
Let the gnashing of teeth BEGIN!
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 12:15pm
It's on SAE's site... competition info or whatever.  We wanted to go to 2 races this year... and buy a trailer.  We're probably gonna get stuck at one race, no trailer. 

Anybody want to start robbing banks?
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

iwm View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 12:24pm
how much was it last year? $600?  With this kind of a price tag, the quality of organization had better go way up.  $1000 for an event organized like wisconsin was this year is unacceptable.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 12:27pm
Yeah we better have every meal covered and free sweatshirts AND tee shirts!
Robbie
Former Team Captain

GT Steve View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 12:54pm

Dang....  a grand for a Baja race... it wasn't that long ago (like 3 years) that it was $500 a race.

I'd be intereted to see an accounting from SAE on where exactly all that money is going.  I'm sure (as has been discussed before) that insurance is a huge drain, but i can't imagine that insurance premiums drove a $450 price bump.  Maybe they are going to try to up the quality of the events all the way around this year... here's to hoping!

GT Off-Road Alumni
Georgia Tech ME'07

Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 1:26pm
Yes, if we are being fed lunch and supper every day, more free stuff (that I will wear i.e. not gay honda/acura hats...)  and the level of organization and professionalism goes up an equal amount, I'm less upset.  We'll just have to see.

As if we didn't have to struggle with funds enough...
Kyle Collins
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive

charles ulaval View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles ulaval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 2:50pm
http://students.sae.org/competitions/bajasae/rochester/dates.htm
damn, he's right....
we wanted to attend 3 races this year, it's gonna be 2, or even only 1...
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by charles ulaval charles ulaval wrote:

http://students.sae.org/competitions/bajasae/rochester/dates.htm
damn, he's right....
we wanted to attend 3 races this year, it's gonna be 2, or even only 1...

Fawk... That hurts the balance sheet...
UMKCRacing View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMKCRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 7:10am
This isn't so bad, makes other costs seem smaller.
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 10:50am
Even for an established team like ourselves this is a big hit in the wallet.  We get support from the student government, but it's never quite enough to keep us afloat.  Denso has been a major partner for us and so have a couple other big companies.  We're looking for this year's big donor and so far we havn't found them.  We are looking at bringing two cars to a race again this year and it's going to be an expensive proposition.  Looks like we'll be shooting to register at South Carolina and Rochester, and hopefully bring two to SC but we'll see.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAD Motorsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 11:58am

FSAE went from $1,000 to $2,000. Ouch on both sides of the fence!

Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 8:24am
^^^ These competitions better be awesome this year...
Robbie
Former Team Captain

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 8:55am
I mean that's only an extra $40,000.  Don't expect too much.  Like unique shirts or photogates for timed events...
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Waffles View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 10:35am
I think we are all assuming that Baja SAE's only source of funding is our entry fees, but is that accurate?  I mean think about all the professional SAE memberships (which are hundreds per year) that have been lost with the epic fail of the big three automakers, which in conjunction with the overall economic depression, is it possible that SAE's sponsorships (honda, BS, timken, et al) are lower and that is why the increase in costs?  is that realistic?
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 1:06pm
It's not.  When we put on the race in '08 we had huge corporate sponsorship.  I can't remember exact numbers but it was on the order of $30-40k in corporate sponsorships.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 1:43pm
Chris,
Were those sponsors that you guys lined up or was that money that came from SAE as part of their corporate sponsors?
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAD Motorsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by CLReedy21 CLReedy21 wrote:

It's not.  When we put on the race in '08 we had huge corporate sponsorship.  I can't remember exact numbers but it was on the order of $30-40k in corporate sponsorships.
Do you know how much the '08 race cost in total? How much did SAE give?
Red_Beard View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 3:02pm

X2

When we hosted we had right around 50K in cash sponsorships...  Then another easy 10K in material and equipment donations...
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2009 at 3:15pm
Short answer no, but I'll ask.  We also got a ton of materials, equipment rentals, etc donated.  Some monetary spronsors were pre arranged through SAE (GM, Toyota, Timken, etc) and some were local (Denso, Elk Mountain Construction, Nestle).  I want to say we got $40k from SAE in '08, but we didn't have full registration either since it was a water race.  I wasn't involved with race planning since I was on the team that year, but I knew all the guys doing it and we talked quite a bit about it.  One big cost for us was food, we have a contract with our dining services that is binding and requires we buy their food for any campus event.  Each meal by itself was around $10k.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

zehlerdj View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zehlerdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2009 at 6:26pm
We are in talks for hosting a race sometime in the next few years I believe the magic number is right around 100k, I think you get half the entry fees and all the money from corporate sponsors straight from SAE, like said above there is a good possibility that the increase is cause of the loss of big corporate sponsors. The other money comes out of the schools pocket or sponsors the team gets.
Dan Z.
Clarkson Baja
Team Leader
JB View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2009 at 4:05pm
I'd honestly like to see fully disclosed financials for these events.

There was some discussion in another thread about where the money went and how much it would take to put on a competition and actually PAY people to be responsible for it and NOT have volunteers running the show.

Maybe I'm way off base, but it's hard for me to imagine that for $100k or close to it, you still have volunteers using stopwatches on some events.
JB View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2009 at 4:25pm

I mean that's only an extra $40,000.  Don't expect too much.  Like unique shirts or photogates for timed events...

A couple of people have mentioned T shirts, but frankly, I totally see that as an item that participants can pay for if they want them....just like it used to be.

Besides, the cost in quantity is next to nothing.  $4 or $5 each when we had our own made up to sell as fundraisers.  And that was only at a quantity of 400.  So we could sell them for $10 each and make a good profit.

Now the photogates need to be for EVERY timed event.
snocrazly_baja View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snocrazly_baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2009 at 9:23pm
Does anyone happen to know the exact location for the SC event?
Thanks
President, Project Manager, Media Relations
Clarkson University, Clean Snowmobile
Ex-MCC Baja Team Leader
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 12:01am
I believe its going to be at the Michelin/BMW proving grounds between Spartanburg and Greenville based on rumors I've heard going around.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:17pm
Chris I don't know who your inside sources are but you always seem to have info a day before everyone else Thumbs Up
Robbie
Former Team Captain

GT Steve View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:24pm
According to the guy I talked to at Auburn this last year (who's name escapes me, but he portrayed himself to be one of the lead organizers from Greenville SAE for the race), its going to be in a large, undeveloped industrial park, somewhere in Greenville, SC.  The track will be mostly built from scratch, Auburn style.

GT Off-Road Alumni
Georgia Tech ME'07

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 5:12pm
Steve is probably right, I just deduced my assumption from the presence of BMW folks at Auburn and the duality of the names for the event with it bouncing back between Spartanburg and Greeneville.  A little research yielded a joint BMW/Michelin proving grounds in the area between the two cites...but it sounds like that may not be it if Steve is right.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2009 at 12:36am
Ok so in an obscure manner it's been confirmed that Rochester will again be at Hogback Hill MX.  Thumbs Up  At the end of the "Year in Review" pdf that SAE put out it lists that as the official site.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

pjones View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Lead Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2009 at 2:36pm
I'd like to reply on the general issues of what it costs to put on a Baja competition, and on why SAE was forced to increase the registration cost.

First off, it depends on what is available at the site, and what must be created.  All organizers wish that they had buildings, huge parking lots, bathrooms, ponds, and winding trails through the woods and mountains.  Usually they don't, and their process is one of making the best, cheapest approximation of the above from what they have.  As far as people, they have to be volunteers.  You couldn't pay professionals for the sort of short-term expertise we need, and given usual competition budgets, you couldn't pay them, period.

I've seen 100 k$ mentioned to put on a Baja, and also 50 k$.  That's about the range.  At Auburn, we were at the top of that range because we had a lot of construction work to do and because we needed a lot from our volunteers (in both building and operating the competition).  It breaks down at about 35 k$ on construction, 32 k$ on services and safety, 17 k$ on volunteer wellfair, and 16 k$ on event stuff.  That doesn't count all the in-kind donations (ours were principally heavy construction equipment, wagons and trucks, and equipment for IT and display), or stuff we already had. 

On the income side, an organizer gets half of the entry fees, a national sponsorship check, and SAE covers the safety stuff (ambulance, radios, water, barriers).  This plus our local sponsors' contributions left us 30 k$ in the hole, and Auburn University picked up the tab.

With it's half of the registration, SAE runs the entire Educational Relations Division (the HQ function for Baja, if you want to look at it that way), pays for safety, and scrounges up the national sponsors.  They also pay for insurance.  We have to have insurance.  We are racing, wheel-to-wheel through the woods, cars built last night by sleep-deprived amateurs.  If there were no insurance, you can bet you wouldn't have a Baja program at your school.  And little things like the 2007 Ocala accident don't exactly move our rates down.

SAE in general (not just Ed. Rel.) used to get plenty of money from the automotive industry, so that SAE could send money to Ed. Rel. to use to pay for Baja.  Used to.  That industry is now bankrupt, or very nearly so, and so, all of a sudden, they aren't contributing like they used to.  The FSAE Consortium, in which Chrysler, Ford, and GM promised money and volunteer time every year to FSAE, is disolved.  Gone.  No money, no people.  SAE has had 35% staff cuts since this all started (remember Linda Shonka and Mary Beth Ament?).  Things have drastically changed this year, and SAE can no longer subsidize Baja the way they used to.

But hey, Baja is strong.  Even if the President had let GM die, there would still be a Baja.  It's just that we have to pay our own way now.  And that's why it costs 1 k$ per competition.  Having just been on the working end of putting that money to use, I can promise you you're getting a bargin.

-Peter Jones
Chief Organizer, Baja SAE Alabama 2009
jhu42 View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhu42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2009 at 10:58am

Thanks Dr. Jones for your insight!

A Baja event is quite an undertaking indeed!  As a competitor, you only see the event for the few days you are competiting, not the months it took to prepare.

Thanks again,
Adam

Adam Baumgartner
Hopkins Baja, '07-'10
wishin4snow View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wishin4snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2009 at 5:21pm
I don't quite understand the $400 price jump. I could see between $100 and $200 but 400 is rediculous. It really sucks that the midwest style event is in April. Our team thinks it's stupid to build a boat so we got to go to carolina. We are really going to have to hustle this year.
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2009 at 12:04pm
Stupid to build a boat?

Pretty sure you just opened the flood gates on that one. 

I think the flotation event is pretty cool but we don't have the time/ability to do it yet.  Wish we did because RIT is only 2 hours away.  Being that the flotation event is at RIT this year, anyone doing it should be happy it's not in April because you very well could still have snow on the ground.
Robbie
Former Team Captain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic