Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Design Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tripod joints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vitesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tripod joints
    Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 3:48am
what effect will be seen if the tripod joints used on the gearbox side of the driveshaft are replaced with rzeppa joint?
because we are compromising the plunging action of tripod with higher angles available in rzeppa. How much is the plunging action for any car and what if the plunging action is restricted. Because i think the rzeppa will have to bear more loads as plunging action is restricted and thus it may fail.
any ideas regarding this??
zmpeck View Drop Down
Organizer
Organizer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zmpeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 7:52am
The amount of plunge depends on your suspension geometry, and can be designed to virtually zero if you wish to so. 
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 1:14pm
Plunging shouldn't cause any axial load, if that is what you're asking. Unless of course you are exceeding the amount of permissible plunge...
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
abhinav.chiku View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abhinav.chiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 2:22pm
Basically, we are trying to eliminate the tripod joint in the gearbox  end and replace it with Rzheppa joint to gain increased amount of allowable angle of the driveshaft to run smoothly. This where I and my team are not converging. I think eliminating the plunge, by the replacing the tripod joint, won't affect us in any major way because the suspension geometry in the rear 3 link trailing link, is set to induce very little forces on driveshaft. So I basically am favoring Rzheppa at both ends to get larger permissible driveshaft angle. 

Is that harmful in any way, or is it something not advisable. 
P.S.- Vitesh is in my team.
Abhinav Jain
Captain
Team Kshatriya International
VIT University
India
Richie_Dagger View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie_Dagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 7:22pm
Find how much plunge is required by your suspension for the range you want to run and compare that with how much plunge you can get out of your axle. If you need more plunge than you can get, you're in some trouble...
otto View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 1:28am
Wait, are you saying you will run a tripod outboard (by the wheel) and a CV inboard (at your gearbox)? With CV joints (aka rzeppa) you normally have one fixed joint and one joint that can plunge.
Cornell Baja 2008-2012, suspension stuff
Oregon State 2012+, saw chain & some more baja
abhinav.chiku View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abhinav.chiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 2:21am
Otto.
I was thinking of using CV(Rzheppa joints) at both ends while considering the suspension geometry and reducing the net plunge throughout the travel and accomodating it in axle plunge since there is no tripod.
Is that not advisable.
Abhinav Jain
Captain
Team Kshatriya International
VIT University
India
zglazer View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zglazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 8:36am
That's what most teams do as far as I'm aware...
Zack Glazer
McGill Baja Racing Alumnus 2009-2013 http://baja.mcgilleus.ca/
2012-2013 Drivetrain Designer
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 9:25am
we ran a suspension that by its geometry has a lot of plunge i oder to get the other characteristics we wanted. what we found is one of the Bombardier Can-Am products runs a rzheppa style CV pair where both the inner AND outter are capable of plunge. the entire setup can accomidate for up to 3 inches if my memory serves me correctly, as well as can handle some good angles at each end. The downside was that thiese joints were fairly heavy compaired to other rzheppa joints on the market. another option we considered for a future modification (note we ended up changing the geometry instead) was to use a regular rzheppa joint pair that could handle the angles we needed and then install a telescoping shaft to handle the plunge. 

Rich Elliott
McMaster Baja Racing 2009-2013
2012-2014 Captain
McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
ankitk View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankitk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 12:16pm
How would one eliminate plunge during suspension travel? By Introducing a camber during travel? or is there any other way
RLM View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2014 at 12:51pm
play around with your suspension geometry and the location of your inboard CV's try and reduce the angles of the shafts to as little as possible. this will help eleminate some plunge. an easy way of doing this is by moving the inners as close to the center of the car as you can.

McMaster Baja Racing (09-Dec 2015)
Team Captain 2012-2015
Suspension Lead 2015-2016
All spoonfeed PM requests will be billed at $10 USD per reply, payable via paypal.
keshav_vats_oo7 View Drop Down
Double Secret Probation
Double Secret Probation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keshav_vats_oo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2020 at 2:51am
How about using tripods on both inboard and outboard  sides. It will cut a lot of weight and allow a significant amount of plunge. Angular variation can be the issue, we are trying to implement the same can someone please tell its disadvantages.

- Keshav 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic