Official Baja SAE Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competitions > Non-sanctioned Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auburn Invitational/Test day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auburn Invitational/Test day
    Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 2:05pm
I am starting to put together the Auburn Test day again and want to gauge interest again this year.

Last year we had 13 teams and I would like to have even more this year.  You will be running on the Auburn Endurance track(east 2006/2009).  we also have the tightest maneuverability section that you will ever run. 

It will be a 2 day event again this year.  You will be able to test all day Sat. and most of Sun.  There will also be a pit crew competition through out the day on Sat.  you will be allowed one pit team per car that you bring.  The competition will consist of 3 actual events that can happen during endurance.  You will be changing one(1) Front tire, an engine Swap, and a complete in race pit stop(fuel and driver change).  There will be a 5-10 dollar entry fee for each pit team and the top three(3) teams will receive trophies.  At 3:00 pm Sun testing will be stopped to allow a 2 hour endurance practice.

If you want to come either post a reply here with your email or you can email me directly at thompm1@auburn.edu

Edited by thompm1 - Jul/07/2009 at 3:11pm
Michael

No Monkeys f**king footballs
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 2:37pm
Any idea what you are thinking for dates?
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 4:05pm
late Sept and Oct. is all I can tell you right now.  
Michael

GTJohn View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 4:33pm
Georgia Tech is interested in coming.

Edited by GTJohn - Jul/08/2009 at 9:31am
John White
GT Off-Road Team Leader
Georgia Institute of Technology
collinskl1 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collinskl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 2:29pm

Lipscomb is interested as well.  We had a blast last year, and would like to come again.

Kyle Collins
Lipscomb University Alumni
2x Project Manager

Nexteer Automotive
Product Engineer, Electronic Power Steering

... and the 8th simple machine: a bigger hammer.
dillon_b12 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_b12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by thompm1 thompm1 wrote:

late Sept and Oct. is all I can tell you right now.  

Like I said before, the guy who is setting up Midnight Mayhem is back in town now so I can get back to you on a preliminary date soon.  Last I heard, we were thinking about something in August but nothing is official yet.
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 2:13pm
We have set a date for the Auburn Invitational.  It will be Oct 24.

The pit competition is still being finalized and there will NO entry fee.

There will still be an Endurance practice at the end of day Sun. starting at 3:00pm

I have only heard from about 3 teams so far, please email me if you are interested in coming.  I would like to make this event at least as large as last years.

Michael
Michael

blue2kss View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue2kss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 6:06pm
I got to thinking,

You may want to have the endurance race on Sunday early.  The reason being is many cars break, and there would be 5-6 hrs of cars to break down before the race.  This way Saturday the teams could get their stuff together and get ready with the endurance setups for Sunday early, then just drive around afterwards.

Just a thought, but I am sure that you thought of this already
Dustin Bride
University of South Florida SAE Alumni/Consultant
Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 8:56pm
Dustin, Thanks for the feed back.  I understand where your coming from and I'll take another look at the schedule.
Michael

Maddirtbkr View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddirtbkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2009 at 5:43pm
Hey there Michael

I'm Madison the new president for USF SAE. I may have met you as I was at the 09 SAE Alabama comp. Making a repair weld on your car in the trailer.
USF SAE baja would like to attend the event. We would like to take 3-4 cars if possible.
Thanks
Madison Eiss
USF SAE President 09/10
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2009 at 4:40pm
You can bring as many cars as you like this is primarily a testing weekend. 

There will be a few rules of conduct that every one will be required to follow.  I will release those rules in the next 2 weeks.
Michael

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddirtbkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2009 at 9:59pm
Hey there again Michael,
I would also like to extend an offer from one of my guys to provide Track towing services for your event. His name is Kevin Kotal, one of our former drivers, and he has offered to bring his side by side.
thanks

Edited by Maddirtbkr - Jul/19/2009 at 10:00pm
Madison Eiss
USF SAE President 09/10
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2009 at 10:41pm
Doesn't look like we're gonna make this one Mike.  Administration is cutting us back big time this year.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

"Quick with the hammer, slow with the brain."
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2009 at 2:13pm
All tow vehicles are welcome.  the more the better.  Remeber that its a 2+ mi. track

Michael

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddirtbkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2009 at 9:04pm
Hey there, 

Our guys just got back from the Midnight Mayhem race. What a mess I heard, and slow.

So what rules should we be expected to comply with for the Auburn Invitational? I would just like to Check. Michael talked about releasing some rules toward the end of July? Will there be an option to park the USF SAE bus at the track? Or who wouldn't mind a bus at their apartment or house for those nights. lol. 

USF hopes to bring a fleet of cars, we will have our bus and trailer W/WELDER for repairs. We are also planning on bringing a Side by side and a golf cart for towing in broke bajas.

Madison 
941-626-3245
Madison Eiss
USF SAE President 09/10
cdhenley View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdhenley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2009 at 1:50pm
We hope to attend the invitational and bring two cars.

NC A&T SU

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2009 at 2:05pm
The rules won't be too extensive.  It'll be very similar to the midnight mayhem rules, but because this is for testing we will not be requiring finger guards, just chain guards.  we will also allow any helmet with a tech sticker since 2004, or if you can prove that it has a Snell 2000 rating or greater.

Also there will be Tech. This is too make sure you are not running a car that is not safe.

Edited by thompm1 - Sep/29/2009 at 2:06pm
Michael

bamaracing View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 12:43pm
Bama Racing is expecting to attend.  We are curious where we could pitch a tent.  Will we be allowed to pitch a tent on site?   
The University of Alabama
Bama Racing
Rob71zilla View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob71zilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 4:49pm
LOL

Sorry I had to say it
Robbie
Former Team Captain
SUNY Institute of Technology
Current Engineer for Remington Arms

A Redline a day keeps the carbon away.
adrive7 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrive7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Rob71zilla Rob71zilla wrote:

LOL

Sorry I had to say it

Originally posted by That Guy from Pirates of the Caribbean That Guy from Pirates of the Caribbean wrote:

Everyone's thinkin' it, I'm just sayin' it

-Joe
Chief Organizer, Baja California 2016, 2017, 2019
Ohio State Baja 2005-2009
Co-Host, Science... Sort Of
http://www.sciencesortof.com
Waffles View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 5:21pm
I remember a bama girls team, is this it or is there a guys team as well?  or is it combined?
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 6:44pm
We got our act together, expect 6 TTU fellas with 2 cars.  We will also need to know where to pitch our considerably large tents.  :)
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2009 at 1:57pm
Its nice to see that TTU is going to be able to make it.

There will be NO camping on site this year, Sorry guys.  There are a few local camp sites near site, either Spring Villa or Chewacla state parks. 

All directions, hotel, and camping information can be found on the Auburn 2009 event website.  http://auburn2009.bajasae.net/

Sorry about the wait on the rules and schedule guys, they're coming.

Edited by thompm1 - Oct/06/2009 at 2:01pm
Michael

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddirtbkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2009 at 2:58pm
Hey, Chris (TTU)

Where are you guys thinking of settling in Saturday night? Where/when might our gathering be?

And Mr. Michael,

Do you think you will be able to post some rules over the weekend. 

Thanks
Madison Eiss
USF SAE President 09/10
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2009 at 4:08pm
Looks like we're gonna set up here http://windmillacresal.com/Home_Page.html  it's a little further from NCAT than another place, but it seems way nicer.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

bamaracing View Drop Down
Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2009 at 12:20pm
The Bama Racing Team historically was an all girls team until last year.  I am the captain and the only remaining girl on the team.  We do not have many females in the ME program interested in building baja's. 
As for the Auburn Invitational/Test Day, I will not be able to attend; thus all the guys will be camping.  We are going to look at the camp site TTU is using.
The University of Alabama
Bama Racing
thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2009 at 12:57pm
Sorry Its taken so long guys, I meant to get these out earlier

Rules and Schedule... enjoy

uploads/11/new_rules.doc

uploads/11/Schedule_2009.doc

Edited by thompm1 - Oct/09/2009 at 1:34pm
Michael

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2009 at 1:26pm
A few clarifications to the rules. 
1.  The chain guard pertains to covering the periphery, finger guards are not required
2.  The Social is off site
Michael

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2009 at 1:00pm
Can everyone planning on attending next weekend shoot me an email just to confirm you are coming.  Thanks guys.
Michael

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2009 at 7:17pm
pit drew challenge rules

http://forums.bajasae.net/forum/uploads/11/Pit_Crew_Challenge.doc
Michael

Bolt Sorter
Bolt Sorter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddirtbkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2009 at 10:41pm
Hey, I'm not sure what your email is, maybe I should look back further in the forums. But the important thing is that USF will be leaving tampa tomorrow night at 8 pm in anticipation for the opening of the gates at 6. We will have two vehicles, and 5 bajas. 2 tow vehicles.

Thanks

Madison Eiss
USF SAE President 09/10
CLReedy21 View Drop Down
Baja Godfather
Baja Godfather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLReedy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2009 at 10:55pm
We won't be there.  We's is broke.  Sorry we'll miss all the fun.
-Chris Reedy
TTU Alumni
Fourwheeler Drawer

EAD Motorsports View Drop Down
Welding Master
Welding Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAD Motorsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2009 at 10:04am

Your pitched tents will be missed... Wink

thompm1 View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2009 at 5:32pm
There is a schedule change. Gate opening will be postponed till 7 am due to the fact that sunrise isn't till 6:53.  I will be there early put please try not to get there till 7.  thanks and sorry about the late schedule change.

Michael

DavidH View Drop Down
Milling Master
Milling Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2009 at 10:33am
how did the weekend go? anyone got pictures?
David
UofL Baja

"What size bit is it?"
"It says China..."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic